PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Hello everyone, This is a great place for you to submit a review of our school. We are always looking for input regarding ways that we can continue to grow as a Saibt Mary's community. I will do my best to check here regularly and respond to the comments listed below. God bless you! Comment responses: - January 27, 2015: Susan, thank you for your concerns. Our current principal actually has a certificate that was signed by the Diocesan Superintendent in April 2015, which according to Diocesan Policies, permits her to be principal. More information can be found: http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Licensure/Apply-for-Certificate-License/Non-tax-Certificate-for-Non-public-Teachers-and-Ad And although she is new, our principal's passion for Catholic education is certainly evident, and she desires to continue to foster and build both academic excellence and spiritual growth at Saint Mary's.
January 27, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

- a school leader

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted January 27, 2016
My child's teacher is in her first year of teaching and hasn't found a balance between st. Mary and her other job. My child had approximately a dozen homework assignments from Halloween to Christmas break.

St Mary School 2

Posted January 27, 2016
This used to be a great school. This year they decided to hire an inexperienced 2nd year teacher as the principal. By the way she is NOT a licensed administrator. My issues with that are endless.

Posted August 29, 2015
As a member of the Saint Mary School community, it is difficult to express all of the good things that take place at this school. The teachers are engaging, and the students love to come back every day. Keep up the great work!

Posted September 20, 2014
What a wonderful school! It is a God-send for my children who used to go to public school. The academics are so far superior and my child has wonderful, caring teachers and also have fun!

St Mary School 1

Posted April 02, 2014
I find it funny that someone on these reviews would say "a few students left" - it was 65+ students - at a school of 220 that is more than a few. This year even more are leaving - reasons like - the administration is a hot mess & the principal is a disaster, are just a few of the emails I have gotten from parents who decided to give this school another shot & were more than disappointed by the outcome. The new teachers come without experience, most apparently without a backbone because they are willing to work for a woman who has destroyed a school and a community. The low level of students they are accepting is only more proof how how far this school has fallen - disciplinary issues, weapons in school, lack of screening in allowing new ed choice families to join the school are all a direct result of the horrible leadership inside this school. What could have continued to be a place of hope, stewardship and incredible education has been reduced to a lack luster, sad shell with walls & floors and a "leader" who believes that passive aggressive behavior is the best way to handle the immense problems that St Mary faces, good luck if you attend or plant to attend, you'll need it!

Posted January 20, 2014
I just posted... I am a full paying parent... I saw some additional complaints about a program called Ed Choice. This program is for students that would attend schools that are on academic probation based on where they live (all the public schools in the area). These parents are still paying over $2,000 a year for their students to attend Saint Mary. I think we should be thankful that some parents care enough about their kids to send them to private school than to give them a ticket for failure (sending them to these schools that are rated a 1 out of a 10). They are still paying parents. It s a real shame that people can t just appreciate what they have

Posted January 12, 2014
All in all, I am extremely grateful for this opportunity for our students to receive a Catholic education. This school is such a gift to so many families, and I am so grateful for all of the good that has been done here. I look forward to see the ways that our Lord continues to work in the lives of those who pass through the halls of Saint Mary School!

Posted January 04, 2014
St. Mary's is a great school. All of my children love their teachers as well as the new teachers. Our teachers are there for the Children and not just a pay check. I recommend that if anyone has thoughts on coming to this great school then please set up a time to come and visit and see what a great environment we have.

St Mary School 1

Posted December 04, 2013
Whatever is going on in the office, they can't seem to get it right. It's like they're learning as they go along. The first quarter end date was changed more than once because they weren't organized enough to get interim grades out and didn't want to look bad. Major discipline problems are being ignored. I think the principal is afraid of dealing with these bullies and their parents. Some parents have hired the former fired math teacher to tutor their middle school kids because they're not getting what they need mathwise. Kids think the new librarian is mean and she's sending home bad reading grades with no explanation. Some of the new teachers seem okay, but without solid top-down leadership the Titanic still seems to be sailing toward the icebergs while the captain/principal hides belowdecks and pushes paper from one side of her desk to the other. There are some diehards out there who keep circling the wagons at St. Mary and won't say one bad word about the school or what's going on. I think that's a disservice to the school and the kids who are paying the price for this principal's lack of leadership.

700 South 3rd Street, Columbus, OH  43206