Posted April 02, 2014
I find it funny that someone on these reviews would say "a few students left" - it was 65+ students - at a school of 220 that is more than a few. This year even more are leaving - reasons like - the administration is a hot mess & the principal is a disaster, are just a few of the emails I have gotten from parents who decided to give this school another shot & were more than disappointed by the outcome. The new teachers come without experience, most apparently without a backbone because they are willing to work for a woman who has destroyed a school and a community. The low level of students they are accepting is only more proof how how far this school has fallen - disciplinary issues, weapons in school, lack of screening in allowing new ed choice families to join the school are all a direct result of the horrible leadership inside this school. What could have continued to be a place of hope, stewardship and incredible education has been reduced to a lack luster, sad shell with walls & floors and a "leader" who believes that passive aggressive behavior is the best way to handle the immense problems that St Mary faces, good luck if you attend or plant to attend, you'll need it!

Posted January 20, 2014
I just posted... I am a full paying parent... I saw some additional complaints about a program called Ed Choice. This program is for students that would attend schools that are on academic probation based on where they live (all the public schools in the area). These parents are still paying over $2,000 a year for their students to attend Saint Mary. I think we should be thankful that some parents care enough about their kids to send them to private school than to give them a ticket for failure (sending them to these schools that are rated a 1 out of a 10). They are still paying parents. It s a real shame that people can t just appreciate what they have

Posted January 12, 2014
All in all, I am extremely grateful for this opportunity for our students to receive a Catholic education. This school is such a gift to so many families, and I am so grateful for all of the good that has been done here. I look forward to see the ways that our Lord continues to work in the lives of those who pass through the halls of Saint Mary School!

Posted January 04, 2014
St. Mary's is a great school. All of my children love their teachers as well as the new teachers. Our teachers are there for the Children and not just a pay check. I recommend that if anyone has thoughts on coming to this great school then please set up a time to come and visit and see what a great environment we have.

Posted December 04, 2013
Whatever is going on in the office, they can't seem to get it right. It's like they're learning as they go along. The first quarter end date was changed more than once because they weren't organized enough to get interim grades out and didn't want to look bad. Major discipline problems are being ignored. I think the principal is afraid of dealing with these bullies and their parents. Some parents have hired the former fired math teacher to tutor their middle school kids because they're not getting what they need mathwise. Kids think the new librarian is mean and she's sending home bad reading grades with no explanation. Some of the new teachers seem okay, but without solid top-down leadership the Titanic still seems to be sailing toward the icebergs while the captain/principal hides belowdecks and pushes paper from one side of her desk to the other. There are some diehards out there who keep circling the wagons at St. Mary and won't say one bad word about the school or what's going on. I think that's a disservice to the school and the kids who are paying the price for this principal's lack of leadership.

Posted November 27, 2013
I have worked at St. Mary for almost eight years now. I have worked in the preschool, after school program, summer camp, and in the school as a teacher aide. I love this school and everyone that works there. Yes, many staff members have changed, but the faith, love and community feel are still the same. Unfortunately, due to the changes a few families have left the school and decided it wasn't right for their them. I respect their choice, but that does not mean that there are not still amazing educators in this school. I am proud to be part of this amazing school and parish. Our new principal is a smart woman that cares about our students, families and staff and works diligently with everyone to make it an amazing place to learn and grow. If you are considering sending your children to St. Mary please do not take what the handful of parents that decided to remove their children have to say without first visiting the school for yourself.

St Mary School 3

Posted November 23, 2013
Can anyone give me an update?? Please! We are moving to German Village and I was really looking forward to sending my third grader to St. Mary's...but after reading these reviews I'm having second thoughts! Please let me know what's going on! Thanks!

Posted October 16, 2013
Once upon a time, Saint Mary was an amazing school - great community, wonderful collaboration between parents and staff - it was like a big, happy, sometimes nutty, family. When the new principal came two years ago, things started to change - like a chill came over the school. Not much warmth coming from that administration was the first sign. Then things just seemed to get worse. Good luck getting a call back from the principal, let alone a meeting. During school events, she was always hiding in her office or worse, not even there. Then she fired six teachers, including pretty much the best librarian in the state, possibly the country, and dedicated teachers that went above and beyond the call of a catholic-school-paid educator. Such a shame. The building is the same, but the soul is gone. :-(

St Mary School 2

Posted September 09, 2013
In 2012, Preschool was an amazing experience for children. Ms Stewart was an incredible director, and she was the reason for the fantastic atmosphere there. The new Principal waited until everyone had signed up for the current year before announcing the she was turning over the entire preschool staff, and bringing in much younger new and less experienced employees. Simply put, we would have made other arrangements if we had known she was going to do this. We weren't advised why this happened, and we weren't given an option to discuss or vote on it. Very disappointed with the new leader - we are looking to move our child away at the end of this year.

Posted July 12, 2013
We left St Mary because of the new principal. As of May, she had only been a principal for two school years, and, as of May, 2013, she was not licensed by the State of Ohio as an administrator. No communication, no followthrough, and a seemingly difficult relationship with the truth. With this lack of experience, The new principal non-renewed nearly all the teacher contracts, and refused to hold a public meeting with the stakeholders to explain why this was done, or what the plan was going forward. This was a great school in a nice neighborhood. It is really sad to see what has happened to it.

St Mary School
700 South 3rd Street, Columbus, OH  43206
Last modified St Mary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Mary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.