PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Comment responses: - January 27, 2015: Thank you for your concerns. Our current principal actually has a certificate that was signed by the Diocesan Superintendent in April 2015, which according to Diocesan Policies, permits her to be principal. More information can be found: http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Licensure/Apply-for-Certificate-License/Non-tax-Certificate-for-Non-public-Teachers-and-Ad And although she is new, our principal's passion for Catholic education is certainly evident, and she desires to continue to foster and build both academic excellence and spiritual growth at Saint Mary's. January 27, 2015: Thank you for taking an interest in your child's homework! Our teachers are always open and receptive to scheduling conferences, so a possible solution is to schedule a meeting with your child's teacher to find out what can be done to best meet his/her needs with regards to increasing the amount of homework.
February 11, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

My two children have been attending St Mary's for the past 6 years. Excellent education and caring staff. Both kids are above the national average in testing, and I believe it is due to St. Mary. The principal has been welcoming and available. We have loved the smaller classrooms especially for the younger grades. The parent/teacher/staff community is fantastic. We love all of the "extras" that make St Mary so special.

Our son has loved attending St. Mary's! Really great teachers and Ms. Walton is a wonderful principal. I highly recommend this school.

My daughter is beginning her 4th year at St.Marys and we couldn't Imagine going anywhere else. Fantastic,caring staff that has truly become like family. We feel very blessed to be a part of this school and community.

Saint Mary School is wonderful. The school is filled with loving children, parents, faculty, and staff. We are blessed to have Miss Walton as our Principal and grateful for her leadership!

Develops character: no rating

- a school leader

Both of my children have attended this school since pre-school. They are now in kindergarten and 1st grade. I am not Catholic, but a resident of German Village that loves the community and opportunites for my children to live in a small-town feeling urban area. Obviously our choices for school are limited in this neighborhood and the private schools in the city are nearly impossible to afford for the middle class families I know around here including myself. At St. Mary's while the admission process can appear disorganized and tedious, it is well worth it to jump through the hurdles. Their admissions process and financial aid available, as well as their payment programs make it very affordable. The religious aspect was intimidating at first to me... But exposing my children to things they would otherwise not have learned in our home has given them a more well-rounded view of spirituality. They do require that you participate in a lot of Catholic, faith-based education and activities but the basis of all of them is teaching morality and respect. I think regardless of your faith, those things become beneficial to their experience. Ultimately people choose to believe what they want, and no one has pressured us or treated us differently for not being a member of the Church. This is the epitome of a community-centered small private school. But all of the staff members have a laid-back, inviting way about them. I normally would not be so involved in school activities and parent volunteering as I tend to be introverted and not at all a helicopter parent, but because the school relies on fundraising to keep tuition low... We've met so many families in our neighborhood from all walks of life that otherwise we wouldn't have. We also have exceptionally close relationships with the teachers and administration. Our children get an amazing education here. They're challenged and have many opportunities. One thing you will notice that stands out to me is the children's attachment to their school and friends. There is no bullying tolerated and all of the children treat each other with consideration. This is a beautiful thing in such a diverse community. With 30 children per grade, the kids become more like siblings than peers. We tried St. Mary out because there were no other options, and I can't say enough how surprised we are at the beauty of our experience.

- a school leader

The principal, Kayla Walton, is extremely friendly and contentious. She is willing to work with the parents and students. She will go out of her way to include students and say hello. Kayla does not only work with students and parents one on one, but she also encourages teachers to be proactive when determining potential issues with the children's education. May the Lord continue to bless the work that is being done at St. Mary's.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My child's teacher is in her first year of teaching and hasn't found a balance between st. Mary and her other job. My child had approximately a dozen homework assignments from Halloween to Christmas break.

This used to be a great school. This year they decided to hire an inexperienced 2nd year teacher as the principal. By the way she is NOT a licensed administrator. My issues with that are endless.

Last modified St Mary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8