No rating

St. Mary Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 230 students

Living in Columbus

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $115,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

I find it funny that someone on these reviews would say "a few students left" - it was 65+ students - at a school of 220 that is more than a few. This year even more are leaving - reasons like - the administration is a hot mess & the principal is a disaster, are just a few of the emails I have gotten from parents who decided to give this school another shot & were more than disappointed by the outcome. The new teachers come without experience, most apparently without a backbone because they are willing to work for a woman who has destroyed a school and a community. The low level of students they are accepting is only more proof how how far this school has fallen - disciplinary issues, weapons in school, lack of screening in allowing new ed choice families to join the school are all a direct result of the horrible leadership inside this school. What could have continued to be a place of hope, stewardship and incredible education has been reduced to a lack luster, sad shell with walls & floors and a "leader" who believes that passive aggressive behavior is the best way to handle the immense problems that St Mary faces, good luck if you attend or plant to attend, you'll need it!

Posted January 20, 2014

I just posted... I am a full paying parent... I saw some additional complaints about a program called Ed Choice. This program is for students that would attend schools that are on academic probation based on where they live (all the public schools in the area). These parents are still paying over $2,000 a year for their students to attend Saint Mary. I think we should be thankful that some parents care enough about their kids to send them to private school than to give them a ticket for failure (sending them to these schools that are rated a 1 out of a 10). They are still paying parents. It s a real shame that people can t just appreciate what they have

Posted January 12, 2014

All in all, I am extremely grateful for this opportunity for our students to receive a Catholic education. This school is such a gift to so many families, and I am so grateful for all of the good that has been done here. I look forward to see the ways that our Lord continues to work in the lives of those who pass through the halls of Saint Mary School!

Posted January 4, 2014

St. Mary's is a great school. All of my children love their teachers as well as the new teachers. Our teachers are there for the Children and not just a pay check. I recommend that if anyone has thoughts on coming to this great school then please set up a time to come and visit and see what a great environment we have.

Posted December 4, 2013

Whatever is going on in the office, they can't seem to get it right. It's like they're learning as they go along. The first quarter end date was changed more than once because they weren't organized enough to get interim grades out and didn't want to look bad. Major discipline problems are being ignored. I think the principal is afraid of dealing with these bullies and their parents. Some parents have hired the former fired math teacher to tutor their middle school kids because they're not getting what they need mathwise. Kids think the new librarian is mean and she's sending home bad reading grades with no explanation. Some of the new teachers seem okay, but without solid top-down leadership the Titanic still seems to be sailing toward the icebergs while the captain/principal hides belowdecks and pushes paper from one side of her desk to the other. There are some diehards out there who keep circling the wagons at St. Mary and won't say one bad word about the school or what's going on. I think that's a disservice to the school and the kids who are paying the price for this principal's lack of leadership.

Posted November 27, 2013

I have worked at St. Mary for almost eight years now. I have worked in the preschool, after school program, summer camp, and in the school as a teacher aide. I love this school and everyone that works there. Yes, many staff members have changed, but the faith, love and community feel are still the same. Unfortunately, due to the changes a few families have left the school and decided it wasn't right for their them. I respect their choice, but that does not mean that there are not still amazing educators in this school. I am proud to be part of this amazing school and parish. Our new principal is a smart woman that cares about our students, families and staff and works diligently with everyone to make it an amazing place to learn and grow. If you are considering sending your children to St. Mary please do not take what the handful of parents that decided to remove their children have to say without first visiting the school for yourself.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 23, 2013

Can anyone give me an update?? Please! We are moving to German Village and I was really looking forward to sending my third grader to St. Mary's...but after reading these reviews I'm having second thoughts! Please let me know what's going on! Thanks!

Posted October 16, 2013

Once upon a time, Saint Mary was an amazing school - great community, wonderful collaboration between parents and staff - it was like a big, happy, sometimes nutty, family. When the new principal came two years ago, things started to change - like a chill came over the school. Not much warmth coming from that administration was the first sign. Then things just seemed to get worse. Good luck getting a call back from the principal, let alone a meeting. During school events, she was always hiding in her office or worse, not even there. Then she fired six teachers, including pretty much the best librarian in the state, possibly the country, and dedicated teachers that went above and beyond the call of a catholic-school-paid educator. Such a shame. The building is the same, but the soul is gone. :-(

Posted September 9, 2013

In 2012, Preschool was an amazing experience for children. Ms Stewart was an incredible director, and she was the reason for the fantastic atmosphere there. The new Principal waited until everyone had signed up for the current year before announcing the she was turning over the entire preschool staff, and bringing in much younger new and less experienced employees. Simply put, we would have made other arrangements if we had known she was going to do this. We weren't advised why this happened, and we weren't given an option to discuss or vote on it. Very disappointed with the new leader - we are looking to move our child away at the end of this year.

Posted July 12, 2013

We left St Mary because of the new principal. As of May, she had only been a principal for two school years, and, as of May, 2013, she was not licensed by the State of Ohio as an administrator. No communication, no followthrough, and a seemingly difficult relationship with the truth. With this lack of experience, The new principal non-renewed nearly all the teacher contracts, and refused to hold a public meeting with the stakeholders to explain why this was done, or what the plan was going forward. This was a great school in a nice neighborhood. It is really sad to see what has happened to it.

Posted June 5, 2013

Note that all of the stars on the "Community Rating" were from before the new principal was there - the teachers that are mentioned below are largely gone - Mrs Cotter is an incredible teacher and so is Mrs. Easley, so if your kids are in 4th or 7th grade you are set - otherwise you are getting new teachers who dont know the school and dont know the kids! The Principal leadership ratings are all from before this new principal came! ALso, the principal tells other schools officials that where St Mary is located is a very scary area and she fears for her safety - St Mary is located in the heart of German Village, one of the most prestigious address' in Columbus - beautiful old homes some ranging in the million dollar range - must be nice to live in her bubble...

Posted August 8, 2011

Our child has been at St. Mary's since preschool and will be entering the 3rd grade this fall. I have been impressed by the sense of community at St. Mary's and the sincere commitment to the education and well-being of the children who attend the school. The administrators and teachers I have had the pleasure of interacting with have a genuine interest in our child's education and I look forward to the coming school year. The school has the support of the community it is in and that certainly adds to the quality of life at St. Mary's.

Posted February 14, 2011

I love St. Mary's. My son has gone there for 7 years and I wouldn't think of taking him out. St. Mary's has great teachers, staff and the best principal. I highly reccommend this school to any one that wants their child to have a good education, good freindships and a thriving future.

Posted May 6, 2010

I enjoy the dedication and the experience of the teachers and the comprehensive approach to education. Kids are excited a/b what they are learning and want to share it with their loved ones. My son forgot a book at the afterschool program and as the teacher know he needed it, he brought it to my home without anyone asking. They also set up an afterschool voluntary tutoring for the gifted kids. I have 2 kids at St Mary and I am so glad we have this resource in our lives.

Posted January 21, 2010

I feel this school lacks compasssion and is not spiritually or biblically inclined. The leadership lacks direction and concern for cultural differences and seem to be more interested in the economic assurity of the Ed Choice program, while the teachers seem totally under motivated. Very dissapointed!

Posted March 12, 2009

Has a Great staff and nice gymnasium they really interact with the parents

Posted August 7, 2008

Saint Mary is a hidden jewel. It s a great school with some absolutely wonderful teachers. And, the nationally recognized library program is the best! We have 3 children who attend Saint Mary, and wouldn t consider going anywhere else. Julie Graham-Price

Posted May 30, 2008

The teachers are incredible! The staff works together and devote much of their free time to benefit the school and the students' individual needs. Saint Mary School gets a big A+ for the reading programs it offers. My children and I like the diverse student body but I would like to see more physically challenged students accepted at the school. All and all, I feel this school is top notch. My only complaint is the inconsistent discipline. I send my children to a private school for quality education (which they receive) and stronger discipline than they would get at a public school. If the administration would follow the discipline policies more closely, the school would get a 5 star rating from me.

Posted May 23, 2008

My son is in 4th rade and my daughter is about to start kindergarten. We love the school and the community of parents and teachers that support it. The Ed-Choice students have increased our diversity and given my son extra learning opportunities. The school librarian has made reading a 'badge of honor' and my son now reads on a high school level. The teacher dedication is phenomenal; they are always at the school or working on projects for the kids. Finally, we enjoy seeing more and more families we know at mass and having the opportunity to go to mass with the school

Posted May 16, 2008

The new principal is horrible. I won t be surprised if some of the teachers leave not to mention a lot of paying parents. The school now accepts voucher students that should be going to public schools. Why am I working my tail off to pay for private school when my children s classmates get to go for free? nd nowt have to deal with all

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Two or more races 11% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCSA
Fax number
  • (614) 449-2853

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Columbus

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

700 S 3rd St