No rating

Bishop Hartley High School

Private | 9-12 | 715 students

Living in Columbus

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $50,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted November 22, 2011

A supportive House system, alternative teaching styles that encourage students to learn for themselves instead of by memory. 98 percent of the graduates go on to college. That says it all.

Posted May 26, 2011

I am a 2009 graduate of Bishop Hartley High School and can attest that this school more than any other influence prepared me for success in college. I currently attend one of the most difficult and prestigious liberal arts schools in the South and am excelling tremendously. I highly recommend BHHS to any student. It truly will develop even the most struggling of students into studious and well-rounded adolescents.

Posted May 26, 2009

As the parent of a student with a few special needs I have found that the Bishop Hartley faculty members are supurb. They are very willing to work with the parent and student in providing a learning experience that meets the student's needs. They do so without compromising the high level of academics and personal growth experiences needed for success in college and life.

Posted May 21, 2009

Great school. Technology is unsurpassed.

Posted April 5, 2009

Hartley is a wonderful school! My oldest graduated in 2003 and my youngest is getting ready to attend there. The teachers and staff our excellent and the principal is very involved and great with the kids!!! I am so excited for my daughter to attend there and have a wonderful four years!! Go Hawks!

Posted November 7, 2008

Provides a quality education with a real sense of family and care for the students

Posted September 23, 2008

Christ is the center of the learning expierence at Hartley. Hartley has a close nitt community both graduates and current students I believe it will prepare my children for the challenges that are ahead of them in life.

Posted August 19, 2008

This catholic school has a great college prep and close families.

Posted July 20, 2008

Bishop Hartley is a school with teachers who truly care about their students. When my children return home from school and share their stories, I feel secure my decision to send them there. Teachers like Mr. VanDerMolen and Mrs. Servick are among the best!

Posted June 4, 2008

Miss Niswander, who teaches spanish is one of the many reason i like hartley. The environment is great and i love the teachers. It is a great school.

Posted April 24, 2007

Not much room for individuality and creativity within the classroom; difference of opinion and classroom discussion not encouraged; quality of teaching is pedestrian and traditional at best, for the most part; no school newspaper; paucity of extracurricular activities; no debate club; anemic intellectual atmosphere.

Posted October 15, 2005

The teachers bring out the best in their students, they respect them and this is reciprocated by the students. There is a lot of school pride which builds unity amongst the students. The work is challenging and definitely preparing them for college.

Posted October 13, 2005

BH is a traditional Catholic college prep high school. It is heavy on arbitrary rules, regulations, and conformity. Having been in Montessori programs from second to eighth grade, my son was challenged in adapting to the more restrictive, less creative environment. Most teachers are irrationally hung up on meaningless details and minutiae. BH prides itself on its academic environment, but it stresses rote learning and slavish reliance on scantron tests. The saving graces are the music and drama programs , and some truly dedicated counselors and teachers who care about the kids. Also, the overall environment is generally safe and supportive. If we had been in the Columbus school district, I would have sent my son to Fort Hayes.

Posted April 4, 2005

I am currently a Junior, and looking forward to next year. Hartley has been a great experience so far, and definately the best time of my life. I actually wish high school were longer than four years, because there are so many classes and opportunities I still want to be involved in. GO HAWKS!

Posted April 8, 2004

We have a sophmore daughter and upcoming freshman in the fall. We have been very pleased with Bishop Hartley. Our daughter has been very active in the many club and sports in the school. She is doing very well in her classes. She loves school! Her teachers are very educated and you can tell they love what they do. We are all, very pleased with this experience. Go Hawks!

Posted March 21, 2004

I have a freshman at Bishop Hartley. Our experience at BH has been a blessed one. There is positive support from the Guidance Counselors to the Students. The Teachers really care about how well the students are learning. My daughters teachers have gone the extra mile to give her the extra help and boost when she needed it. Sending my daughter to BH has been one of the best choices I have ever made.

Posted February 23, 2004

I have a freshman at Bishop Hartley this year. The principal, Mr. Winters is outstanding! From day one the kids know what he expects out of them -- and that he genuinely cares about each one of them. He is an excellent Catholic role model for the students. The kids really do go to talk to their teachers, or another faculty member if they have concerns. My daughters teachers have gone above and beyond the requirements of their 'jobs' to make sure my daughter learns, and feels like she belongs in this 'new to her' school. The kids seem to look out for one another also, which made the transition into high school easier. The student body is very diverse racially, academically, and economically, which we see as a 'plus'. Our daughter has made friends from all over the city, with many experiences different than her, and now these new friendships are growing during their High school years at BH. This is also the first year for our daughter wearing a uniform to school -- which has been great! Uniforms are such great equalizers.

Posted September 4, 2003

I am a graduate of Hartley and it has evolved into one of the greatest high schools I've ever seen. I feel lucky to have had such a great high school experience.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2003

As a former student, I entered college feeling prepared for the most part, but lacking a little in my science classes background. I had not had biology since my sophomore year! Since leaving Hartley, I have heard through the grapevine that they have hired new staff for science classes and in general are making the school better. They have made building structure improvements as well as classroom improvements. Now the students are equiped with their own laptops! I wish I had that while I was there. Overall, Hartley gave me the solid education that I needed to further myself.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 19, 2003

Our daughter has just done so well here. The principal knows what he is doing and cares. You can tell. The staff is here because they are devoted to Christian education.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 2% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (614) 237-3809

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Columbus