No rating

Columbus School for Girls

Private | PK-12 | 646 students

Living in Columbus

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $192,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted April 3, 2014

'This is the way it's done, so deal with it attitude' is across the school. Old fashioned, lagging behind in several areas of the teacher-student environment, too expensive for what it is worth. Teacher communication and quality has been poor with 75% of the teachers.

Posted June 19, 2012

The level and intensity of education is unparalleled at CSG. You will not find a more challenging program for a student! However I entered CSG in the Upper Form and it was crippling socially. I felt very excluded from social circles because I was not a "lifer" like many. I was used to have a lot of friends so it was a shock to enter such a clique-y landscape and have very few friends. My parents removed me after one year because I was so unhappy. Overall the staff and education were AMAZING! It was difficult for me to switch from a public high school to CSG but the teachers worked very hard to get me into the groove of things. I learned as much at CSG in one year as I did my other 3 years in public high school. I would recommend this school to parents who plan on sending their children there K-12 or for students who haven't an avid interest in large groups of friends who enter later.

Posted May 11, 2012

My daughter is thriving in the Program for Young Children at CSG. This is a discovery-based education that empowers the girls to inquire, research, collaborate and solve problems. Unlike many other early education programs, CSG is not focused on classroom management or tedious academic tasks, but on each girl's learning and development that emphasizing the PROCESS of learning. The PYC establishes a wonderful platform for learning. The teachers are so dedicated to the girls and accessible at all times to the parents. The student and parent population is wonderfully diverse. At this young age when girls are far advanced to boys in fine motor skills and impulse control, I'm happy that my daughter can be in an all-girls learning environment that is so advanced for girls at this age. I have struggled to find a school as nurturing and engaging as CSG is, for my son. We could not be happier with our choice to send our daughter to CSG for her early childhood education.

Posted January 2, 2012

I have been a parent at CSG for 11 years. My girls have completely different learning styles and I can't imagine my girls anyplace else! Like any other public online site, I do feel some of the negative posts here are not from our girls or our parents. The CSG alumnae who have posted comments say it best: our girls are confident, poised and so well prepared for college. We have amazing college counselors and our girls are accepted into top colleges across the nation mostly in Engineering and Science majors. I just completed the process with my oldest and can't say enough good things about our college process. The school sells itself, just visit and speak to a CSG girl....you will be amazed! My girls throw on a skirt and polo, hair in a ponytail, no make-up...no boys to impress and no boy drama, the entire day is dedicated to learning without distractions. No other place like it in the Columbus area!

Posted December 12, 2011

I have three daughters at CSG and I am extremely pleased with the new direction the Head of School is taking with the curriculum. I have always loved the lower school and believe hands down that CSG does the best job of teaching girls how to think critically even at the earliest ages. My oldest daughter is in upper school and the course offerings have really expanded and become far more challenging. I cannot say enough good things about the teachers- they clearly love what they do because the attention and the dedication they shower on these girls to help them find success is breathtaking. I am so grateful . I have sons at the Academy and still believe CSG is the best education for girls. .

Posted November 1, 2011

My daughter started middle school here after a few years at a poor school. She was behind and had some learning issues. It would be difficult to overstate how skillfully the school has handled this child and her issues. We have met numerous times to create a plan for her. She is in tutoring (no extra cost) and she is getting support from her entire "advisory" - her grade's faculty. She has not been made to feel different or "stupid" - quite the opposite. She is rising to the challenge of the academic curriculum, the exceptional teaching, and the ''whole person" approach to learning that includes drama, music, art, as well as rigorous academics. Sign me, a grateful parent.

Posted August 15, 2011

My daughter began attending this school in kindergarten and I could not be happier with this institution. CSG emphasizes self-development, self-empowerment, and self-confidence over anything. When those areas of the self are strong, academic achievement becomes a natural progression and realization. These girls are not afraid to try new things and are continually encouraged to explore new academic/self-domains. These girls go on to be leaders in their industries. They leave this school confident and self-assured. The community environment adds to a collective effort and responsibility for the education and development of all the girls at this school.

Posted February 1, 2011

My daughter came to CSG as a Junior. She was immediately accepted by the Junior class. Her growth just during the two years that she attended CSG was amazing. She became much more confident and a much better student. CSG prepared her very well for college level work. I am very thankful for the time she spent at CSG and only wish she could have gone earlier to the school.

Posted December 29, 2010

Pros: - As a recent alum, the rigorous academic curriculum and the dedicated faculty of CSG prepared me well for college. - Strong emphasis on leadership and individual student attention Cons: - My class was very cliquish and not cohesive. For instance, it was very apparent that the girls of wealthy families tend to stick together, as most of them have been going to CSG their whole lives. Therefore, if you haven't been attending CSG your whole life, it's really difficult to break into a clique if you are, say, an incoming Upper School student. - The female students are confident, but confidence doesn't necessarily translate to being prissy and petty. - Not sure how it is now, but I didn't find the CSG environment friendly to young women who want to go into science and engineering. As a woman currently pursuing a career in biomedical engineering, I always felt shunned and outcasted by my female classmates who wanted to pursue non-technical fields. Women are already underrepresented in the STEM fields as is. Again, the academics at CSG, bar none, are outstanding. But if I had to do it over again, I would have gone to a co-ed private school, like Columbus Academy.

Posted December 26, 2010

I'm an incoming freshman at CSG and had been going to a co-ed catholic school before that. the academics there are really challenging and taught in a pretty interesting curriculum. the new block schedule makes us have a lot of homework and the 80 minute classes are really tough to get through. the girls there aren't open to new comers and they are overall pretty mean. the school isn't enjoyable and i really wish i would've gone to a catholic high school instead. in my opinion, you can't enjoy CSG unless you have been going there for your entire life.

Posted November 21, 2010

I am a first year at CSG, and I'm sort of confused. They tell me to be myself, but whenever I act like myself, they criticize me. I don't know where I belong here, and I really wish I stayed at my public school. With the new block schedule, the homework load is almost unbearable. I don't really like the teachers because they either baby you or they don't really tell you what you are supposed to do for an assignment. I switched schools because I was being bullied, but being at CSG didn't help that problem at all (not to mention I miss the guys). I want to be back at my public school.

Posted September 19, 2010

I am a recent graduate of CSG and am becoming more grateful for my education every day. I was fortunate to gain admittance to a top tier university and am finding that I am well prepared for college life. The teachers were so interested, supportive and challenged me to take risks, engage in leadership roles and community service. My class was extremely close and I expect the friendships that were made will be life-long. Thank you CSG!

Posted September 28, 2009

I have taught at a number of schools in my academic career, and I must confess that I have never seen a more committed facutly, a more gifted student body, and a more supportive parent community than at CSG. Whether it is through the unique usage of May Program, or the fundraising fun of Jubilee! or the junior trip to Stratford, CSG is all about the strength of academics and making this place a poweful an incubator for the strengths of girls! The level of long-term dedication that the faculty have shown at CSG is amazing! I highly recommend sending your daughter to CSG!

Posted September 22, 2009

As a CSG parent, I found the Program for Young Children to be exceptional! My daughter has experienced so much growth emotionally, socially, and academically. At an early age the girls are learning to find their voice and build their confidence. I love the philosophy of the program that encourages curiosity for learning, rather than the rote drill and skill method. My husband and I have been embraced by the CSG community and appreciate the constant communication from the tremendous faculty and administrators.

Posted September 16, 2009

The best thing about CSG the dedicated staff and faculty...when you pair a talented staff with involved parents--the students excel

Posted September 12, 2009

I am a student at Columbus School for Girls. I have been there since the 5th grade and am currently in the 8th grade. This school there is much more than a school; it is another community you have to call your own. The teachers are great! We are encouraged that its wonderful to ask questions even if it required asking 10 times in one period. The students are close to each other as well as other parent. As far as I'm concerned, many of the parents at CSG look out for me like they look out for their own children. Over all, Columbus School for Girls is an excellent institution to send your daughter!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 5, 2009

The program for Young Children is different in their learning approach than the lower,middle and upper schools. Parents have to work with the girls 'at home' if they want them to have the foundational educational basics, such as reading, writing, etc. I can understand and encourage parents to work with their children at home,but for the amount of money invested into this school, there should be a more balanced curriculum so that the girls are being prepared for Kindergarten both socially emotionally as well as academically. There does not appear to be a welcomed invitation for parents to express their concern or even to discuss the method of learning with the director of PYC. It appears that there is a 'This is the way it's done, so deal with it attitude'. PYC is good for social development not academics.

Posted February 26, 2009

CSG Lower school is a terrific, as is PYC. The teachers and head of lower school are first rate. Middle School, however is another story. There, the emphasis is on conformity (binders, skirt length, type of pencil and tote bags) rather than education. There is substantial variation in teacher quality, some are excellent, some are weak. They speak about encouraging girls to take risks, but when a girl does so either academically or in extra curricular activities, there is generally a lack of support or push back from faculty and administration. Based on our experience, I can how see a girl striving for excellence in her own way could have difficulty at CSG. A new head of school will join soon, and so perhaps there will be some change.

Posted December 16, 2008

I spent fourteen years at csg - from preschool to graduation. I was consistently at the top of my class, both at the school, and nationally. Not only did the administration not push me to excel; they actively disciplined me for asking for a greater challenge. My mother was appalled and dismayed by my treatment there, but there were no other options. Please do not send your children to a single sex school. Send them somewhere where they will compete against the best, no matter their sex. Now that it's an option, send them to the columbus academy.

Posted September 12, 2008

I am very pleased with the investment that I am making so far at CSG, and this is exactly what it is, 'An Investment'! As an African American mom to a new student in PYC,my experience so far has been very worthwhile. I believe on the contrary that the school has great diversity, it depends on what category of diversity a person is looking for! There are student of 'all' nationalities. There are all types of families. I am a single African American mom of a bi-racial daughter. CSG is a melting pot of several cultures and experiences! My daughters level of confidence has grown just in the little time, she has been at CSG and I can't wait to see her continue to grow and thrive. I have established friendships with mom's that I would never have come in contact with before CSG. The exposure and opportunities are unmeasurable!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Two or more races 12% N/A
Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab