No rating

Oakstone Academy

Private | PK-6 | 200 students

Living in Columbus

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $85,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Sweep tile

Posted January 19, 2014

I have been going to this school for a decade and I can both brag about it and distrust it all at the same. The teachers are the best, having real passion in what they teach and care about each student succeeding. The teachers set a high standard of good teaching, higher than any other school. I haven t even considered homeschooling because of them. Our current principals of the elementary, high, and middle school are some of the best leaders you will see, and need more say in matters in my opinion. Word of caution: cronyism and nepotism are the norm (allowed because the school is not public). This is true in most schools, and this school does have a higher staff-kids-to-non ratio, but there are too many instances to mention here of obvious favoritism (strangely enough, doesn t happen very much in the classrooms as far as I see, it is mostly in anything extra-curricular.) The lack of transparency in most of the leadership doesn t help. At least I haven t really been bullied here like I probably would be at another school. Overall, I wish I could be much more proud of my school, but I ll give credit where credit is due and not where it isn t. Also the schoolwork is insanely easy.

Posted November 10, 2013

My school absolutely amazing. The teachers are helpful. When ever you need help with school work and homework, teachers will help you outside of class time as we'll. This is my 7th year at Oakstone. The principal is really helpful and genuine. Students here are well behaved. If there is a conflict between students, teachers will address the problem to prevent the issue from happening again. I love that Oakstone is small and not over populated like most high schools today.

Posted January 5, 2013

As a former ASD student at this school, my assertion is that the attention is drawn mostly to the "typical peers." The ASD students are looked down on, not taken seriously, and spoken to as if they are two year olds. This also sends the message to the "peers" that as long as you are society's definition of "normal" you can expect to have everything handed to you and it's alright to treat people with disabilities with disrespect. The teachers tried earnestly to talk me out of enlisting in the Armed Forces-which in the long run, has simply made me more determined. The "vocational" building was a mess. There was nothing "vocational" about this place-it was a place opened up to dumb us down, make us feel degraded and humiliated and show that "disabled" people have NO place in society. The building was cramped, filthy and smelled. The "grad" students were put in with the nonverbal, low-functioning and remediation students and expected to do rudimentary first-grade level work. Several of the teachers were snappish and rude. They were not encouraging of us in any way going into challenging careers, i.e. first responders, the military, etc. Do NOT enroll in the vocational building.

Posted November 19, 2012

As stated by previous posts from parents, DO NOT waste your child's time at this school. Trust your instincts...if things seem too good to be true, they probably are. As a former teacher at this institution I can assure you that this place is toxic and that the best interest of the child is no longer at heart. Teachers are often asked to implement negative and punitive behavior plans and children are treated harshly. As a parent, I would not allow my own children to attend this school based on what I have seen and how some children are treated. The individualized needs of children are not being met at this school. The classrooms are stacked with behaviors that not only impede are their learning, but also the learning of their peers. Great teachers who are willing to go above and beyond, however, with an administration that controls every dynamic of the classroom it is often challenging. Administrators at Oakstone are cold, harsh, and treat their staff like there are disposable at any moment.

Posted September 17, 2012

While my ASD child attended Oakstone the following problems were observed: lack of security, the receptionist is never at her desk,ANYONE could come in and take a child and they would never know. Parents are not allowed to peek in to the classroom unannounced. Incorrect use of PECS system ,only targeting bad behaviors, not enough teaching of good behaviors. I received no communication about my child'sprogress or struggles, but everyday you will receive at least 3 emails on donating money.Current expenditures per pupil for public elementary and secondary education was $10,297.At OA the current expenditures per pupil for private elementary and secondary education is $28,000. I met a few teachers that left OA and they told me the same thing "Funding is NOT distributed correctly, the principal and directors control the flow of money in the school, cutting supplies and necessary items that teachers asked for.The teachers that left OA have all said that they were asked to do things that went against their better moral judgement. My child has made more progress in 1 mth. at Dublin than she did a whole year at OA. Do not waste your child's time on this school. ASD kids deserve much more.

Posted August 14, 2012

My son has attended this school for 4 years and has had highly professional and loving teachers. He is consistently scoring in the top 5% of the nation in standarddized testing. His teachers know and understand his personality giving him the right balance of nurturing and challenge. Readers will notice that many of the reviews on here are either excellent or awful. In my opinion, you need to see the program and talk to parents and staff to make your own judgement. No school is perfect, but Oakstone is aplace that makes me feel good about my child's academic, social, and moral development. I feel good leaving him there and know he will continue to flourish.

Posted January 14, 2012

Oakstone is a wonderful school for typical kids and kids with disabilities. Everyone is welcomed and we are all family at Oakstone. And this school does get you ready for reality. I love it here. All the teachers are willing to help and they love each and every one of their students. Best school I've ever been to. I recommend this school to everyone its safe, family oriented, and amazing. I LOVE YOU OAKSTONE!!!

Posted December 1, 2011

This is my sixth year attending Oakstone, and I have nothing bad to say about it. The staff there is amazing. If you need help on any of your homework, or even classwork, the teachers will help you with it. I am a typical student there, and I have learned to appreciate my autistic piers. Oakstone has a student leadership team, Young Life, which is a youth group, and a few sports. All in all, I'm happy to be a student of Oakstone.

Posted June 23, 2011

Ever wonder why the focus room doesn't have a camera or one way window? Wouldn't an honest teacher be ok with being watched? If nothing was going on and everything was on the up and up why not? But if you ever question the conduct of a teacher look out! The elementary principal (the founder's sister by the way - no other way she could be a principal) will literally yell at you. I was told to stay by the phone because if my child needed to go to the focus room I would have to come get him. This was after asking about my child getting hurt while in the focus room. After that I was treated coldly by staff. My child was hurt numerous times while at that school. Don't get me wrong I do have a difficult child, but Oakstone supposedly works with difficult children. Just think about my review and others before you send your child there!

Posted May 6, 2011

horrible school teachers have no clue what they are doing and how to cope with a child on the spectrum, a few yrs back when i went there i was severly depressed due to the way that the teachers treated other who were severly autstic.

Posted May 4, 2011

My son Peyton has been at Oakstone since it first opened. We did try our home school for a month but they would only allow him to be in a secluded classroom and no opportunities to be mainstreamed in a regular classroom. Well, after a month of seeing nothing normal, he got worse. I quickly got him back into Oakstone and well 10 years later he is thriving and has accomplished more than I ever dreamed. Oakstone has a way of presenting curriculum that is understandable for kids with autism as well as their typical peers. They have offered our family support, sibling workshops for my typical sons along with any other support we have asked for. This is a very unique school in that everyone is accepted and typical students enjoy being leaders and helping their autistic friends. Peyton has overcome so many obstacles and continues to this day to become more independent. I am thankful everyday for Oakstone and what their staff does for my son. I hope one day more schools will realized that kids with autism need a chance to be normal and given a chance to reach their potential and isolating them in classrooms with no exposure to real life is not the answer.

Posted April 21, 2011

I'm writing this as a heads-up to prospective parents. Note before beginning: My comments reflect upon the middle/high school building, where I worked for one year. As a parent, you should know that while I was a teacher at Oakstone, I observed multiple inappropriate things that took place. Administrators told me not to share certain information/events with parents, even when these events related directly to their child. Parents were not allowed to come in and observe unless it was a planned observation - no unannounced visits. The administration runs the staff as if it's a popularity contest, and I only use this comparison because I don't know how else to explain it. If you're "in" then you fall in line and do what you're told. You're "out' the moment you try to express an alternate opinion, even if you believe that opinion to be in the best interest of a student. I believe schools should have an open-door policy to parents, and that parents have a right to know truthful details about how staff handle their child if he/she misbehaves. Ask a lot of questions if you visit this school, and trust your instincts.

Posted March 16, 2011

Both my daughter on the Autism spectrum and my typically developing son attend Oakstone. I must admit, I'm a little confused about some of the points made in these reviews. First of all. We have never been asked to sign away the right to place our daughter in therapy outside of school. She is engaged in therapies both in and out of school. As one reviewer mentioned, the need for extended attention and services for children with ASD is great. My daughter has made fantastic progress in the year and half or so that she has attended Oakstone and our son has flourished as well. I've certainly seen his sympathy for those afflicted with ASD increase. He is far more understanding and compassionate toward his sister. I also find the staff to be particularly good at what they do. The teachers are compassionate and understanding as well and the staff has never been anything but professional. Their financial department has also been surprisingly flexible -- which is very important. Compared to similar programs available in the local school districts, Oakstone stands a head above. My children will both be attending Oakstone again next year.

Posted January 30, 2011

This school may accept people of color in the class room, money is green, but they are discouraged to hire people of color. The so call employment department will scheduled an appointment with people of color and once arrive and see that you are non white you will meet with a Representative of the dept and told that there was an emergency meeting and he will not be able to meet with you. Never to receive a reschedule or phone call from human resources. Never to hearing anything. There has been six people who attempted to gain a face to face interview and three white and three non white the white people received an interview and the three non white were met with there was an emergency meeting. I was told things about this school but I had to see for myself.

Posted November 30, 2010

This is the first year for my son at Oakstone Academy. He is in the high school. The team of teachers he has are wonderful. It has been a welcoming environment and my son is being more academically challenged than he was in his public school program. So far we have been pleased with his progress and the school as a whole.

Posted July 8, 2010

We moved to Columbus so our three children could attend Oakstone Academy. I am so happy and find the school to be a blessing. Our boys (both Autism) and our daughter(peer) have thrived. They love school and all the staff. It is a true joy knowing that they want to see my children succeed as much as we do. Words cannot say enough about this school.

Posted May 21, 2010

I have children that are peers the attend both the elementary and middle school bulidings. also this is our first and last year that I will allow my children to attend. I was very disappointed in the professionalism of the administration. It may be good for children with austism but not for peers. This is our families first and last year attending this school.

Posted March 12, 2010

These reviews are a little skewed! My children went there for years after my home school district refused to put my AS child in the same school with her peers. I was always relieved to have my kids in the same building and I did feel that the teachers liked my AS daughter and enjoyed her company which is way more than the average school will give AS kids. I would also totally disregard the 'agreement' that parents are required to sign to NOT use outside therapies. AS kids need way more intervention than they can get in a 6 hour school day. Oakstone needs to stick with what it provides: a school for AS kids and their sibs. Funny though that so many parents opt to keep their typical kids out of Oakstone...parents on their own board (it's just weird IMHO).

Posted November 18, 2009

I have had my typically developing son at Oakstone since he was in preschool. Over the years that he has been a student at Oakstone, he has grown into an extremely compassionate, well adjusted and well educated child who obviously has learned a great deal from his teachers as well as his classmates. I also work at Oakstone and I am blessed everyday to be a part of such and extraordinary school full of a well knowledged staff and the wonderful bright students that we service. It is a community that I have learned so much from and that have given so much in return to the many families that they service.

Posted October 8, 2009

Sadly, we had high hopes for our grandchildren, but over time we found the administration to be unaware or unwilling to meet the most basic IEP requirements for them. This came with a cost to them and we are very sorry about that. m
—Submitted by a teacher

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 3% N/A

• Special education
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Computer lab
  • Library

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now