Columbus, OH

Oakstone Academy 2

Posted August 19, 2015
The true friends I made are the only reason I don't rate this worse! The time I spent there was not worth it! Very few teachers there do their job right and help! Most are very rude and snappy! Some of them even put you down when you really don't need it! When I was forced to get an internship the job coach constantly followed me, would not leave me alone, and eventually said I wasn't going to last long! Then she constantly bumps into me and never says anything! Extremely rude! I was even lectured about not getting into college! My life has changed very nicely since I left! I have a nice job that I absolutely and although I haven't applied to college yet I have gotten the attention of some well known colleges! That includes Denison, St. John's, Virginia Commonwealth, Rutgers, Holy Cross, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Miami (Florida), Northwestern, Southern Cal, and even Georgetown! And I didn't even need this place to accomplish all that! They seem to be very impressed with kids who will struggle in life even though they treat them wrong! But they completely ignore and shut out the students who do some amazing things! If I was a parent I would never send my child here! Another thing I have to say is the good teachers seem to quit or be fired while the rotten ones stay and make things harder for the students! before you send you're child here think twice about what you are doing! And there is another thing! They are really getting out of hand with the fire wall! they won't block useless crap like Disney Princess, SpongeBob, and other garbage! But yet they block sources that can actually have very useful information! Another thing I will say is keep you're belongings in a safe place! DO NOT trust a teacher when they say they will take care of it! About 70% of the time you're things will disappear or be badly damaged! And the teachers will give you a pathetic and untrustworthy excuse like that it was you're fault and not take any blame! The last thing I'm going to say is this! My personality has significantly changed since I went there! Mr. Nice guy is no more! I am not as forgiving and I will never change! Not after what they did to me! Going there was one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life! And I will never forgive them for what they have done to me and a few of my friends! Everyone has a different opinion and this is mine!

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted August 07, 2015
Teachers work harder than most people realize so that they can meet the diverse learning needs of their students. Teachers here are fantastic, administration puts them in tough if not impossible classroom situations, expects perfection, offers no assistance or guidance. Administration is absent.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 07, 2015
Routinely students will have homework in 1 class each night if that. Students learn quickly that homework is only allowed to count for 10% of their final grade so not doing it has very little effect on their overall grade. If your student tells administration that the homework is too hard or too much, the teachers are told to not give them homework for the next few weeks to lessen their workload ( which as stated above, is very small)

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted August 07, 2015
Students are challenged by their teachers however their grades are inflated by administration. There are always reminders given about the fact that C's or lower are not acceptable. If you want your kid to do nothing and still get a B or get tons of extensions and easier assignments this is the school for you. If you want your student to receive the needed skills to be successful in college and life in general, seek other schools.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted August 07, 2015
Students are taught to show compassion for others by their teachers. This is done well by the classroom teachers at Oakstone.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 07, 2015
Grades are routinely inflated so that no student receives lower than a B. If a teacher has a student that has a quarterly grade lower than a B it is there fault and there will be a visit from the principal to "remedy" the situation. Rather than teaching their students to work harder when faced with diversity Oakstone would rather instill the belief that not doing your work and refusing to study will result in a B-. Compare the Oakstone Honor Roll to testing scores and you will see the proof

Oakstone Academy 1

Posted August 07, 2015
Administration lacks the fundamental skills needed to run a school. They routinely make decisions on staffing or student placement based on a quick glimpse of events when they have been out of a building for days if not weeks at a time.

Oakstone Academy 5

Posted November 04, 2014
I have four children that attend Oakstone Academy and although none of my children are on the autism spectrum I would not want my children at any other school. My children range in age from first grade to sophomore in high school and all have thrived. The staff are so caring and loving to my children. My children went from struggling in every class to being so proud every report card. I would never have my children at any other school!

Oakstone Academy 4

Posted January 19, 2014
I have been going to this school for a decade and I can both brag about it and distrust it all at the same. The teachers are the best, having real passion in what they teach and care about each student succeeding. The teachers set a high standard of good teaching, higher than any other school. I haven t even considered homeschooling because of them. Our current principals of the elementary, high, and middle school are some of the best leaders you will see, and need more say in matters in my opinion. Word of caution: cronyism and nepotism are the norm (allowed because the school is not public). This is true in most schools, and this school does have a higher staff-kids-to-non ratio, but there are too many instances to mention here of obvious favoritism (strangely enough, doesn t happen very much in the classrooms as far as I see, it is mostly in anything extra-curricular.) The lack of transparency in most of the leadership doesn t help. At least I haven t really been bullied here like I probably would be at another school. Overall, I wish I could be much more proud of my school, but I ll give credit where credit is due and not where it isn t. Also the schoolwork is insanely easy.

Oakstone Academy 5

Posted November 10, 2013
My school absolutely amazing. The teachers are helpful. When ever you need help with school work and homework, teachers will help you outside of class time as we'll. This is my 7th year at Oakstone. The principal is really helpful and genuine. Students here are well behaved. If there is a conflict between students, teachers will address the problem to prevent the issue from happening again. I love that Oakstone is small and not over populated like most high schools today.

2655 Oakstone Drive, Columbus, OH  43231