Oakstone Academy 4

Posted January 19, 2014
I have been going to this school for a decade and I can both brag about it and distrust it all at the same. The teachers are the best, having real passion in what they teach and care about each student succeeding. The teachers set a high standard of good teaching, higher than any other school. I haven t even considered homeschooling because of them. Our current principals of the elementary, high, and middle school are some of the best leaders you will see, and need more say in matters in my opinion. Word of caution: cronyism and nepotism are the norm (allowed because the school is not public). This is true in most schools, and this school does have a higher staff-kids-to-non ratio, but there are too many instances to mention here of obvious favoritism (strangely enough, doesn t happen very much in the classrooms as far as I see, it is mostly in anything extra-curricular.) The lack of transparency in most of the leadership doesn t help. At least I haven t really been bullied here like I probably would be at another school. Overall, I wish I could be much more proud of my school, but I ll give credit where credit is due and not where it isn t. Also the schoolwork is insanely easy.

Posted November 10, 2013
My school absolutely amazing. The teachers are helpful. When ever you need help with school work and homework, teachers will help you outside of class time as we'll. This is my 7th year at Oakstone. The principal is really helpful and genuine. Students here are well behaved. If there is a conflict between students, teachers will address the problem to prevent the issue from happening again. I love that Oakstone is small and not over populated like most high schools today.

Oakstone Academy 2

Posted January 05, 2013
As a former ASD student at this school, my assertion is that the attention is drawn mostly to the "typical peers." The ASD students are looked down on, not taken seriously, and spoken to as if they are two year olds. This also sends the message to the "peers" that as long as you are society's definition of "normal" you can expect to have everything handed to you and it's alright to treat people with disabilities with disrespect. The teachers tried earnestly to talk me out of enlisting in the Armed Forces-which in the long run, has simply made me more determined. The "vocational" building was a mess. There was nothing "vocational" about this place-it was a place opened up to dumb us down, make us feel degraded and humiliated and show that "disabled" people have NO place in society. The building was cramped, filthy and smelled. The "grad" students were put in with the nonverbal, low-functioning and remediation students and expected to do rudimentary first-grade level work. Several of the teachers were snappish and rude. They were not encouraging of us in any way going into challenging careers, i.e. first responders, the military, etc. Do NOT enroll in the vocational building.

Posted November 19, 2012
As stated by previous posts from parents, DO NOT waste your child's time at this school. Trust your instincts...if things seem too good to be true, they probably are. As a former teacher at this institution I can assure you that this place is toxic and that the best interest of the child is no longer at heart. Teachers are often asked to implement negative and punitive behavior plans and children are treated harshly. As a parent, I would not allow my own children to attend this school based on what I have seen and how some children are treated. The individualized needs of children are not being met at this school. The classrooms are stacked with behaviors that not only impede are their learning, but also the learning of their peers. Great teachers who are willing to go above and beyond, however, with an administration that controls every dynamic of the classroom it is often challenging. Administrators at Oakstone are cold, harsh, and treat their staff like there are disposable at any moment.

Posted September 17, 2012
While my ASD child attended Oakstone the following problems were observed: lack of security, the receptionist is never at her desk,ANYONE could come in and take a child and they would never know. Parents are not allowed to peek in to the classroom unannounced. Incorrect use of PECS system ,only targeting bad behaviors, not enough teaching of good behaviors. I received no communication about my child'sprogress or struggles, but everyday you will receive at least 3 emails on donating money.Current expenditures per pupil for public elementary and secondary education was $10,297.At OA the current expenditures per pupil for private elementary and secondary education is $28,000. I met a few teachers that left OA and they told me the same thing "Funding is NOT distributed correctly, the principal and directors control the flow of money in the school, cutting supplies and necessary items that teachers asked for.The teachers that left OA have all said that they were asked to do things that went against their better moral judgement. My child has made more progress in 1 mth. at Dublin than she did a whole year at OA. Do not waste your child's time on this school. ASD kids deserve much more.

Posted August 14, 2012
My son has attended this school for 4 years and has had highly professional and loving teachers. He is consistently scoring in the top 5% of the nation in standarddized testing. His teachers know and understand his personality giving him the right balance of nurturing and challenge. Readers will notice that many of the reviews on here are either excellent or awful. In my opinion, you need to see the program and talk to parents and staff to make your own judgement. No school is perfect, but Oakstone is aplace that makes me feel good about my child's academic, social, and moral development. I feel good leaving him there and know he will continue to flourish.

Oakstone Academy 4

Posted January 14, 2012
Oakstone is a wonderful school for typical kids and kids with disabilities. Everyone is welcomed and we are all family at Oakstone. And this school does get you ready for reality. I love it here. All the teachers are willing to help and they love each and every one of their students. Best school I've ever been to. I recommend this school to everyone its safe, family oriented, and amazing. I LOVE YOU OAKSTONE!!!

Posted December 01, 2011
This is my sixth year attending Oakstone, and I have nothing bad to say about it. The staff there is amazing. If you need help on any of your homework, or even classwork, the teachers will help you with it. I am a typical student there, and I have learned to appreciate my autistic piers. Oakstone has a student leadership team, Young Life, which is a youth group, and a few sports. All in all, I'm happy to be a student of Oakstone.

Posted June 23, 2011
Ever wonder why the focus room doesn't have a camera or one way window? Wouldn't an honest teacher be ok with being watched? If nothing was going on and everything was on the up and up why not? But if you ever question the conduct of a teacher look out! The elementary principal (the founder's sister by the way - no other way she could be a principal) will literally yell at you. I was told to stay by the phone because if my child needed to go to the focus room I would have to come get him. This was after asking about my child getting hurt while in the focus room. After that I was treated coldly by staff. My child was hurt numerous times while at that school. Don't get me wrong I do have a difficult child, but Oakstone supposedly works with difficult children. Just think about my review and others before you send your child there!

Posted May 06, 2011
horrible school teachers have no clue what they are doing and how to cope with a child on the spectrum, a few yrs back when i went there i was severly depressed due to the way that the teachers treated other who were severly autstic.

Contact Information

2655 Oakstone Drive
Columbus, OH 43231

School website

Oakstone Academy
2655 Oakstone Drive, Columbus, OH  43231
Last modified Oakstone Academy is a private school that serves grades PK-6
Oakstone Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 49 reviews.