Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)

Posted November 10, 2015
I am a teacher at Devonshire. I've had experiences at several other schools, and Devonshire is a unique and wonderful school. Our Project Adventure curriculum separates us from other schools in the Columbus area. We operate with an experiential learning cycle, and spend more time "doing" than other schools. All grades participate in an indoor climbing unit, and also attend overnight camp. These experiences create fabulous memories, and offer a really unique learning opportunity. Devonshire is truly a diverse school. In my class this year alone, I have 9 nationalities represented. How cool! My coworkers are committed, caring professionals. We are always striving to be the best we can be. We have great resources, both in material items and the people in the building. Devonshire is a great place to be!

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted November 10, 2015
One of the key Project Adventure values is challenge. Students are constantly challenging themselves, both physically and academically.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 10, 2015
Devonshire students participate in Penny Harvest, a child-led service project. The students collect pennies and then research different community causes to donate the money to.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 10, 2015
Our Project Adventure curriculum is not only an academic approach, but also guides students in their social-emotional development.

Posted March 19, 2014
This has been my daughter's first year in this school. To be honest, I was a little nervous to send her here, because a few people told me they didn't like the school. My experience with the school has been wonderful! My daughter loves it! She has gotten to take part in many unique opportunities and field trips. It's true that the principal knows each child by name, and is well acquainted with each one. The teachers genuinely care about each child, and it they generally keep parents well informed. The PTA is top-notch, too! Very welcoming. The school is hands-on, has a good appreciation of the arts, teaches chess to the students, and has a wonderful gifted program. The student population is very diverse, which I love! My only complaint is that sometimes the active kids will lose recess, if they are acting up. In my opinion, children should not lose recess, as that tends to make them act out more! But I think that is pretty common in all schools. I love Devonshire, I would highly recommend it.

Posted July 25, 2013
My son has attended Devonshire since kindergarten . I have came to a true liking of all the teachers that I have came across here. This is his last year in elementary and yes he will be attending Devonshire. I have been asked by others what did I think and I highly recommend this school and its staff to others. They have truly took the time out to get to know my child things about my child. Including the principal. I really like her she take the time out to speak with the parents. The teachers are also very involved in how there students learn and what will help them to learn and stay in track. I will miss them after this year.

Posted December 18, 2012
Both of my daughter's have attended Devonshire. My oldest attended K-5 and my youngest is currently attending. The teachers and staff have always exceeded my expectations. I've read other reviews that the curriculum is not challenging enough, but to be honest, communication with the teachers can change this. My daughters teachers have gone above and beyond to accelerate subjects to meet the needs of my children and have been excellent communicators. The principal is very involved and knows each child by name (which is not something I've ever seen before). The climbing units and overnight camping is wonderful. Definitely an A+. I would recommend this school to everyone!

Devonshire Alternative Elementary School 4

Posted February 02, 2010
My son has now been at Devonshire for 2 years. For the most part we have absolutely loved it. My only complaint is that the curriculum is not challenging enough, but that has more to do with Columbus Public district policies than the school itself. The staff is wonderful, the social education is excellent, and the kids are truly happy to be there. The climbing unit and camping trip each year are some of the high lights for the kids. My son has had the best teachers and have been great at working with and challenging him. The principal is also very involved and the kids adore her. It has also been a great place to volunteer.

Posted January 20, 2010
I am a parent . I attended Devonshire as well when I was a child in the eighties . I loved the school. My son is in PK and I see nothing have changed with the parent involvement and the caring teachers. This is really a great school.Definitly would recomend this school to another parent.

Posted October 01, 2007
Teachers seem to be very involved with the children and genuinely care. My son likes going to school, he loves his teacher. Parents are very involved in school functions.

6286 Ambleside Dr, Columbus, OH  43229
Last modified Devonshire Alternative Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.