Columbus, OH

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) 5

Posted January 05, 2015
I am a former Student who went to AIMS. I must say, Mrs. Higgins, you could be a bit mean at times, but you sure made me learn a lot. I remember much of it since we are doing Physical Science right now in my Freshman year. Mr. Leavell was a lot better of a principle after Dr. Edwards left. I did run into a few mean teachers but hey, I didn't let them get in the way of me. Mrs. Janoski, and Ms. Bivens, I know that you two are retired but you both kept me happy the entire time. Mrs. Boldger, you also made me very happy and I learned so much Math from you, keep up the work (If you are reading this, you probably know who this is). Lot of memories. Even though I had bad memories such as my grandfather dying, or my kneecap being broken. I still will forever remember AIMS as a great school.

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) 4

Posted October 10, 2014
I am a 7th grader at AIMS, and I think it is the best school i'd ever been to. Although I don't like the assistant principal, Mrs.Coleson (she expects us to act like mini adults and not talk at all) my amazing teachers make up for it. The arts options include: dance, drama, band, orchestra, and choir. You also choose a unified art, such as; phys ed, media art, visual art & technology. In 7th and 8th grade, you will have the opportunity to be on the volleyball team(girls only), soccer team(coed), or basketball team(girls and boys separate teams). I have a wonderful math teacher, Mr.Mastroianni, and the reason I like him is he just seems to get what its like being our age, and doesn't treat us like kids. Mrs.Mitchell, a 6th grade science teacher was the best science teacher I've ever had, and I actually remembered almost everything she taught us, because she taught it to us in such a unique way. The principal, Mr.Leavell, is excellent. He is just strict enough to keep us in line, and if we're good, he rewards us. I would highly recommend sending your child here if they like art or music, because they will love it.
3 people found this helpful

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) 5

Posted May 30, 2012
My daughter has attended this school since her sixth grade and she has had a wonderful experience for both years. There has always been open communication between the teachers, myself, and my daughter. She is challenged academically through an amazing Gifted and Talented program. My child feels comfortable and confident at this school and will definitely return for her eighth grade year.

Posted October 09, 2011
I used to go here, the bullying and racism between students was so bad, I transferred in the middle of 6th grade year.

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) 2

Posted August 20, 2011
I was searching for a decent middle school for my daughter because her education is very import to me. After reading the reviews about the "lack of diversity" and the"attitude of the principal" and about the conflict between the teachers and the students...I think I'll pass. I'm a substitute teacher and I work as an Adaptive Behavior Strategist, so I'm aware of the different "attitudes" and "challenges" in the education system. It's unfortunate that "good school" are few and far between.

Posted June 23, 2011
The 7th grade teachers do the same thing, except in front of the class and act as if they need to know what's coming out of your mouth. They are also hypocrites, I remember two of them saying "Put your phone or away or I'm taking it" now, I know we aren't suppose to have are phones out, but you aren't a good influence by pulling your's out every 5 minutes. Kids are influenced by their elders/teachers in their lives. My 7th grade math teacher, made me highly upset, I would always find myself angry. He won't help a child if someone is up blowing their nose. I mean are you serious right, so I have to wait for them to get finish blowing their nose in order for you to help me. I didn't learn a thing from him and every subject he taught, I learned twice as better online from different math sites. He yelled at us for most of the year which is apart of the reason why we never learned anything. The 8th graders I've heard are the best teachers, there at AIMS. The only thing you have to do is stay on their good side. They're strict but nice, and I've seen how the teach and they actually help kids out instead of saying "I said it to the whole class, I'm not going over it again." to them.

Posted May 12, 2011
I am a parent of a 7th grade student who has been attending AIMS since her 6th grade year. She has had nothing but problems since being at this school and has went from an Honor Roll student since kindergarten to barely getting a 2.0 gpa. This is sad, because the teachers that she has had this year in particular can't follow instructions. I've asked that they e-mail me to keep me posted on my child's behavior and status, but I have yet to receive an e-mail from them. They are constantly trying to call me and leaving messages with something minor that should be handled at the school level. They are constantly putting the children out for minor reasons at the time in their lives when they should be encouraging the student to stay in school and leading the student to discouragement. I really would like to put my child in another school, but from this list there doesn't appear to be any middle school worth sending my child to get her a decent education. I wish I could open my own school and hire the teachers that I know really care about the students.

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) 3

Posted December 15, 2010
I have 2 grandchildren that attend AMS, for the first time, they are in the 7/8 grades they were bullied a lot, but thanks to Mr. Level (the asst principal) this was quickly brought under control. If you have a problem with your child don't call Dr . Edwards because she nevers returns calls, I don't think she realizes this is part of the job description that goes with the job that she she applied for. I know this from first hand experience. So far at least the majority of the teachers seem to be ok for my grandchildren. You always have that percentage that just don't care. Maybe those few that don't care are a reflection of Dr. Edwards atitude when she does'nt see the need to call parents back.

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) 2

Posted October 11, 2010
I am in my 8th grade year at AIMS. I think that my school needs SOME type of diversity, as it is mainly all African-American students. The teachers get better with each grade level- 6th graders get pretty horrible teachers, 8th graders have some amazing teachers(: Our lunch periods are WAY too short, as we have a 10-20 minute work period where we aren't allowed to talk, write notes, etc. AT ALL. It's all silent work. The dress code is inconsiderate and costly, as it changes each year. Honestly, we don't incorporate arts into our classes as we say we do, but the instrumental arts classes are pretty good. Some kids don't actually receive an arts class, depending on how many other high school credits they take- gym + language = no arts. The students are mostly rude and ignorant, but you can't really change them!

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) 3

Posted May 20, 2010
I currently go to AIMS. To tell you the truth, I think it isn't very good. Many people say that the principle is very good. I have to definitely disagree! She chooses a group of students to always single out and get in trouble. Many of my friends and peers agree with me. In addition, everyone hate the dress code. Almost everyone attempts to break it. I think it is stupid because we are an ARTS school. All activity that is somewhat arts related is almost always reprimanded. Also, the lunch that we get is very, very short. The administrative team usually tells us to not talk during the whole thing and to work, and then leaves student only 5-10 minutes to purchase their lunch and eat it. Overall, I very much dislike I school and I wish they would change some things.

Arts Impact Middle School (Aims)
680 Jack Gibbs Blvd, Columbus, OH  43215
Last modified Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arts Impact Middle School (Aims) Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top