Columbus, OH

Independence High School 5

Posted February 11, 2014
Independence high school is a wonderful school. Everyone always goes based of what they hear, do they personally come and visit our school and see intelligent we really our as a whole group. We as a school we have grown, we do wonderful activities to even better ourselves. This year at this school we have allowed a church to come in and help build some of our school, elementary schools like liberty have come to our school at times and we perform many activities to help the little ones. We are more than what people make us out to be.come and support our school and see who we really are at fort Hayes on Thursday @ 46 pm. #saveihs

Posted December 03, 2012
As a former student, I was totally unprepared for college once I graduated. I had no study skills and I was failing classes, when in high school I graduated as the top 5% of my class. As long as you show up to class and allow the teachers to do their "job" (that's how they consider it, a paycheck) then you will get that A. There are very few that really care about the student. The ones that do and have high expectations for the students are greatly disrespected by the students and the administrators and fellow teachers turn a blind eye because they are worried about their image. There are more teachers there who care about their image with the student body than actually preparing them for the adult world. Basically, through trial and error, I taught myself how to study and hired tutors in order to graduate from college.

Posted September 25, 2011
As the parent of a child who attended this school I am very disappointed in the in the overall educational and sports experience she had that this school. I don't feel they prepared her properly for college, they did not challenge her enough in the different subject matters. Their sports programs are among the worse in the city. They allow people with no coaching experience or no knowledge of the sport to be head coaches. They seem to have no idea how important sports can be in the educational process for a student. The current Principal has shown poor leadership and no direction for the school. There are some teachers at this school who do a very good job but there are not enough of them. I will not allow my son to attend this school.

Posted April 16, 2009
I'm in the 10th grade in Independence Hihg School, And i think it's great. The teachers are great, they care about our education and our future in college. Not only that but you can open your heart to them and they'll listen.

Posted January 24, 2009
As a teacher who has taught at Independence for many years, I know that the majority of the staff cares about the students and their education. Students think that teachers are mean when they enforce school rules and expect them to pay attention. It's hard to see things from an adult's perspective when you are a teenager. The vast majority of the students here are good kids. They may not all be 'A' students but they're are good kids. There is only a very small percentage of students who are trouble.

Independence High School 2

Posted September 21, 2008
i think the school needs to focus on preparing students for college instead teaching them things that they should have learned in middle and elementary school the classes they offer can be better us students need more classes to choose from to help better us and get us ready for college and work force

Independence High School 3

Posted July 09, 2005
As a student that attends IHS I agree mostly with the rest. Some teachers come to school because its there job and they have to,but others really do take pride in their job and what they have to do. But I also think that others look down on I-high. This school is a school like any other school. There are students that care about there education and get the work done and there are some that just dont, and that is like kids at any other school. They talk about the violence and fights that we have but what they fail to understand is that they will fight at whatever school you go to. Many people look for the bad things about that school and not so much the good.

Posted June 02, 2005
As a student at IHS I personally think that the school needs more discipline and better teachers. 98% of the teachers in that school go to school the same reason why 99% of the students do, because they have to, its their job. They need to crack down on the students more and do more teacher studys to see what the teachers are really teaching.

Independence High School 3

Posted November 29, 2004
As a former student at IHS, I know firsthand how the school is run. While there are many teachers who are dedicated to the overall excellence of the students, there are many there who do not care what goes on around them. Many of the teachers there are more concerned with teaching their views and opinions as opposed to facts. There is a lack of discipline, and due to lack of concern, respect for authority is many times obsolete.

5175 Refugee Rd, Columbus, OH  43232
Last modified Independence High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Independence High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top