Columbus Preparatory Academy

Charter | K-8

Living in Columbus

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $61,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted February 14, 2014

A lot of love or hate opinions. My kid was testing at 2 grades above her level according to CPA but when we started at a public school we were at the same level as the other kids in his grade. I give a 1 star because of the treatment my child received. I wonder how many 5 stars reviews are really parents.

Posted February 13, 2014

My son and many of his friends left CPA because of bullying by the principal (Mr. Carr). While there is zero tolerance for bullying between students, Mr. Carr is the biggest bully of all. Grabbing students and yelling in front of others is inappropriate behavior. Yes the test scores are above other districts, because those children who struggle with work overload are forced to leave, so Mr. Carr can be left with only the exception students. The extra long hours, shorter breaks, and hours of homework each day leave little childhood enjoyment left in the children.

Posted February 11, 2014

This is an amazing school that understands how to prepare students for success in both academics and career readiness. The school doesn't focus on "How to Take a Test." Instead, the school tracks and creates an individualized learning plan for every student and ensures they are making progress through the use of regular assessments. As a parent, I wish all schools focused on my student to the same level. They intervene and provide remediation once a student is not making the progress they need. No student is left behind in this school. In fact, they are the top scoring district in the entire State of Ohio. That's pretty impressive. Some parents are unable to handle the rigorous expectations. CPA, however, is focused on the development of children so they can find incredible success in life. Parents who want the best for their children choose CPA. Parents who make excuses for their children should probably go somewhere else.

Posted February 11, 2014

Without a doubt, this is the best school in Ohio. But, it's not because of the test scores. Sure, the test scores are the highest in Ohio. They are the best because of the extremely caring staff and teachers, who tirelessly work to ensure my student has the best opportunities in life. I am so happy that we found this school. My student is reading 2 years above grade level, it 1 year ahead in Math, and LOVES going to school. THANKS, CPA!!!

Posted January 30, 2014

This school offers a challenging curriculum for all its students, pushing them to reach for more. In the few years my children have been at CPA, I have seen them become more driven in their school work. My children care about the quality of work they do and want to be successful. This is something I think CPA has taught my children. While it saddens me to see that some parents feel the teachers are over worked or not helpful, I have not dealt with this type of situation at CPA. The teachers are always willing to give me suggestions on ways to help at home.

Posted January 28, 2014

My reviews are based on my experience in different school districts that are more organized. The school needs to spend its money paving a playground for the children not having them play in dirty muddy areas. The parking lot is a disaster as there needs to be direction and organization, it's too small and everyone is fighting for a parking space. Every week be prepared for your child to take at least 3 tests. The teachers are overwhelmed with students and the office has 6-7 people working In there with no sense of direction. Instead of investing in people in the office or a top of the line printer which sits in their office, invest in a library. Again, I wrote this review to give you a sense of what kind of environment you're putting your children into. I've attended catholic schools as a child who have had less funding so funding isn't the issue. It always comes from the leadership at the top and the staff.

Posted January 28, 2014

This is a great school. The school offer full day kindergarten. Our original plan was to send our child there for its full day kindergarten program. Over time, we love the method that the school is using to teach and discipline our child. Our child love the school and the learning environment there. We decided to continue to have our child continue on to Grade 1 and is now planning to send our second child there too. We have also recommended the school to some of our friends and they are happy with their decision to send their child there. CPA is unique and we are glad it works out for us. It is very serious about doing things in a direct and efficient way without any foolishness or nonsense way of educating our child. They take pride of its effort and the result in educating our child. We are proud to be part of the CPA family.

Posted January 21, 2014

I love having my children at CPA! Never have I seen teachers work so hard to make sure that my kids are prepared for the challenges they will face outside the school (after-school tutoring, title 1, saturday school). While the school does put focus on getting students ready for the OAA, they are not given OAA's every week. What is given are small quizzes by their teachers that go over what they had learned that week in class. The school offers programs for their students in and outside of school like band, volleyball, running club, writer's club, art club and an after-school latch-key program. The grounds around the school contain two playgrounds and many spaces for the teachers to take the students outside to explore. I know my one child enjoys the nature walks their teacher takes around the school during science class. Thank you CPA for all the hard work! My children and I appreciate every thing you do.

Posted August 13, 2013

Not even two weeks into the year and already a mock OAA... Maybe the school should consider spending more time educating our children and a little less on test prep. In real life we need to know more than how to fill in the little circles on the OAA. Makes one wonder with the high test score how so many children are held back year after year.

Posted May 20, 2013

We loved CPA the first few years but as the test scores increased, so did the arrogance of the principal. The students that take the OAAs take practice tests constantly to the point that I can't imagine them not scoring well since the OAA is similar each year. I would like to see the results of a national test. Students that do not score advanced or excelleratex are not able to attend dances, etc. and other students know their test results. Many students have lost confidence with the "if you're not first, you're last" school motto- even getting pressure from the principal to leave. My student is high performing and I don't want him to have this much pressure so young (and how to treat others). We are sad to leave but there is more to life than winning.

Posted April 21, 2013

looking for advantages for negro male youths to better their education so they may helphe youths growing up after them

Posted October 12, 2012

This school is awesome, my son attended this school since 2007 and now he's in 5th grade. From kindergarten to 5th grade he's been doing a fantastic job academically and socially and i believe it's because of the staff and principal (Mr. Carr). They get the students involved in their learning and have them participate in their own development; because of CPA's no non sense attitude i don't have to force my son to do homework or attend school. He gets mad at me whenever i am late getting him there and make sure he gets his homework done before he gets home in the aftercare program. I really enjoy my child attending this school and i hope they get a high school. My only grip is that they should really expand the second language curriculum(Spanish), i am not satisfied with what's provided right now.

Posted August 23, 2012

We love CPA! Such a great environment. My daughter is excelling here. I think that the Principal & staff have exceeded my expectations. She had a wonderful teacher in kindergarten & has a just as wonderful teacher in 1st grade. Keep it up CPA!

Posted August 20, 2012

My child had been at CPA for 7 years it was a little rocky in the beginning going through several Principals before Mr. Carr took over. There are some really great teachers at CPA very involved and teaching using methods that keep the children s attention. There are a few negatives the school really needs a library, the afterschool program is a nightmare very unorganized, Mr. Carr has done some great things i.e. Blitz but his main focus is OAA test scores, he is not very receptive to outside input and his attitude of if you don't like it feel free to find another school is very inappropriate. As a parent I never felt welcome to drop in and check on my child I was made to feel like I only needed to be available if there was a problem. It is a good school but I wouldn t call it great.

Posted August 16, 2012

Update you system GreatSchools! :) CPA scored 112 on the Performance Index and was picked as Mosaica School of the Year again, for the 2011-2012 school year!!! We are shooting for a perfect 120 this year and I bet they'll get it! (last year the' goal was 107 - a five point improvement over the previous year, and they blew past 107, to score the 112!) Yes, as its been addressed, expanded extra curriculars would be great, and I am confidant they are on the way, but the staff has made HUGE progress to turn this school around in a very short time span.

Posted April 26, 2012

First the positive: My child loves this school. The teachers are enthusiastic, there is a great atmosphere of school spirit and most importantly, my child is learning. The negative: The school needs a library! The playground is in need of an upgrade. I have been disappointed in the afterschool program. The head teacher is allowed to have her non school aged son there and the staff and children spend way too much time babysitting him. She is a nice woman, but not as professional and organized as the school needs. This school is receiving a lot of attention and as more parents seeking a quality education send their kids here, they are going to expect better.

Posted April 26, 2012

We have 2 children attending "CPA" currently. Our oldest has been there for 4 years, from Kindergarten. I personally believe this is one of the best schools in all of Columbus, if not Ohio. The Principal is excellent, Teachers are caring, and the staff is friendly. There is zero tolerance for bullies at this school. They are currently looking to expand to include a high school. The Paragon curriculum is a unique teaching/learning method. I remember when i sat in on a class to see if this was the school we wanted to send our children to. I thought to myself "this is how i wish I WAS TAUGHT as a child!". "The Blitz" is also unique to CPA, it's a fun and exciting way to get the students ready for the year-end state tests. They play games and have competitions in-between the different grades/classes for prizes. It keeps the kids focused on their goals. There are a few negatives though. There are not currently very many after-school sports for the kids to play (i think soccer, and basketball are it). The active PTO is pretty small. And Pick-up/Drop-off is A NIGHTMARE! There's only one road in/out without a traffic light. The lines can be LONG, and there is inadequate parking.

Posted April 4, 2012

Thinking of enrolling my child and was curious to see if CPA offered any sports?

Posted January 13, 2012

The verdict is still out on this school for me but midway through the year I am not too impressed. There is no library, no phys-ed in the winter or recess for my child to find books or blow off steam from the extended hours. They do 3 "breaks" where the kids can bring in toys to play with. For afternoon pick-up I am always worried because it is chaotic and disorganized. The students just seem to rush the doors and unless I am standing right there they are confused and unsure of what to do. I am always afraid that someone will snatch them up. The Pros: doors being locked and needing to ring a buzzer to enter. The numerous amounts of camera's. The uniform concept. I am mildly concerned with my child's statements that the teachers are on the computers all day and they leave the classrooms often. All in all my child is very happy here despite things earlier mentioned. There is an enthusiasm about this school. I just cannot understand why there is not more physical education offered. An 7.5 hour school day and copious homework does not leave time for much exercise or any time for after school activities. I will update my review at the end of the school year.

Posted August 5, 2011

I have 3 children in this school and it is AMAZING! My 2nd grader tested in te 96% for the NATION on her ITBS test, and my soon to be 1st grader tested at the middle to end of 2nd grade for reading (while in Kindergarten). Mr. Carr and Ms. Julie are great at communication with the parents, and the teachers are top notch. If you are sick of Public School issues and teachers that don't seem like they care, I would highly reccomend CPA.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Ohio used the Ohio Achievement Assessment (OAA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The OAA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Ohio. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

All Students99%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Ohio Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students96%
Black, non-Hispanic91%

All Students98%

Source: Ohio Department of Education

In 2010-2011, this school received an Overall Rating of "Above Expected Growth".

Grade 4AboveMet
Grade 5AboveAbove
Grade 6AboveAbove
Grade 7AboveAbove
Grade 8MetMet

In 2010-2011, the Ohio Department of Education used the Value-Added Measure to show how much growth students made on the Ohio Achievement Test since the last school year. The state expects that student test scores will show an average year's worth of growth compared to test scores from the previous year. Ohio's Value-Added Measure is not the same as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), a federal measure which uses different criteria.

102 (2011)

92 (2010)

83 (2009)

69 (2008)

120

Ohio uses the Performance Index to provide an overall indication of how well students perform on its standardized tests each year. The Performance Index scores are based upon how well each student does on all tested subjects in grades 3 through 8 and 10. Schools and districts earn anywhere from 1.2 points for each student scoring at the advanced level to zero points for each untested student. The Performance Index ranges between 0 and 120, with 100 as the statewide goal for all students.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Ohio. Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value-added estimates from the state of Ohio.

Asian 7% 2%

Source: OH Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Fax number
  • (614) 275-3601

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now