Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Develops grit: Agree

Posted February 23, 2016
Yes....sometimes too much. The students are told that if you don't score above average and have the best test scores then you can't attend the school.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 3

Posted February 23, 2016
I have mixed emotions about this school.I love that they push the students, and want them to succeed. I also love all of the fun activities like the Blitz, fall festival, and everything else they do for the kids. However, as soon as your child hits 3rd grade, it's all about tests tests tests. My son is in third grade and has went to CPA sense kindergarten. He's always been and still is a straight A student. He has tons of friends, loves his teacher and is not a problem child at all. However, this Ohio reading/language arts state test they did in the fall of 2015, is all the school is worried about. My son has always got good grades, and tested above where he should be on a reading level. But because he only scored at the state AVERAGE and not above average, he may have a chance of not being moved up to the 4th grade!!! That's just absolutely ridiculous to base the entire school year off of the scores of ONE test. If that's the case, then why do the kids even waist time learning anything else. They might as well just spend all day everyday on studying for this test. Like some of the other reviews, if your child is not a GENIUS they don't want them at the school. Test scores are important, but shouldn't be the only thing that matters. They only get one chance to be a kid, let them enjoy it while they can, instead of spending every moment of their day.STRESSING out about a score on one test. Kids shouldn't even know what stress is. And I have only had one incident where the principal was completely rude to my son and embarrassed him in front of his peers. But other than that, I've never had any issues with the principal. And I've loved all of the teachers we've had. So overall yes this is a great school. I just dont think tests should be all the school is worried about, just so they can keep their #1 rank. I think kids should be able to enjoy school and look forward to going to school, instead of stressing out night and day about a test.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 04, 2015
Thank you for having this school available for kids in Columbus. It's unique and effective. Thank you.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted October 04, 2015
These teachers are hilarious and have a very unique style of teaching the kids. Kind of the like the "cool big brother or big sister" that the kids look up to. My daughter adores all of them!

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted October 04, 2015
There's no disputing this. hahaha. Yes! They expect a lot from their students. There's always a chance to fix their path and try harder.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted October 04, 2015
Part of the classwork helps them learn this this through group exercises. My daughter talks about this part of her week with me. I'm glad they do it.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted October 04, 2015
They teach the kids things such as "making new friends" and "feelings" as part of their weekly school work!!! They have a part of the week where they learn to be honest members of a community. I feel like that's why bullying isn't too much of an issue, or at all.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 5

Posted October 04, 2015
I absolutely and wholeheartedly love this school! I've never met a group of such amazing teachers and families. The teachers are this hilarious team that the kids look up to. My daughter goes on and on about how much she loves them and how fun this school is to her, which continues to make make me so happy we chose this school. At this school my daughter is surrounded by teachers, students and parents who truly care about education (thank.... God! hahaha). I have to agree that your family and child needs to be prepared to have the educational part of school as your priority. This is soooo why I picked this school though. I didn't want my kids in the public schools where'd they be surrounded by the inevitable groups of kids who don't value school or are unmotivated. This school has a bunch of kids who are intelligent, motivated, and kind. Bullying is so not an issue at this school. There is such a diversity of kids and backgrounds and they all get along and thrive!! I love it, and I am proud to be a part of that. I am so thankful that this school was an option for us. It has the private school feel, the private school motivation that I wanted for my child. My son will be starting school next year and there is no doubt about where we will be sending him. I enjoy this school so much that I actually took time to write this review hahaha. I hope that it helps someone.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 2

Posted September 16, 2015
All they care about at this school is test scores and while some may think that is great, if you only have an average or slightly above average child, this school is not for you. They make sure they get rid or retain any child who would normally be passing at a regular school because they only want kids who are advanced, to have bragging rights that they have the highest test scores in the state. Well yeahhh if all schools could choose only the most advanced kids and kick out average kids than yeah you'll have better statistics. Statistics doesn't mean you are a better school especially when you dispose of average kids in a heartbeat. I see other parents are not happy with Mr. Carr too. He is most definitely a bully and belittles kids in front of everyone. He lacks tact or compassion and only cares about the few select highly advanced kids. They have longer hours (my son is picked up at 6:05 am and dropped off at 4:15-4:30pm at the bus stop) then there's homework almost every night so my son is mentally exhausted by the time he goes to bed and has no time to be a kid. On top of that they start the first week of August and expect kids to be in title 1 tutoring during their free time at school, tutoring after school and 4 weeks summer school. It's just too much. This school would be nice if they didn't let statistics run the school and put the best interest of the child first instead.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 27, 2015
The teachers seem really great. They seem to fear the principle like every one else in the building. Plus, got to keep those test scores up if you want to keep your job!

3330 Chippewa St, Columbus, OH  43204
Last modified Columbus Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.