Columbus Preparatory Academy 3

Posted June 02, 2014
Cpa is very focused on tests, OAA scores, and test prep. And while that's not exactly a bad thing, here its laid on pretty heavily. The principals saying such as 'if youre not first you're last', and others are a bit unreasonable for a school atmosphere. There are absolutly no bullying problems, although mr Carr is intimidating to the students. There arts and language teachers are phemnominal but unfortunatly the school dosent allow much space, budget or time for these classes. If you can get over the the principal, few ridiculous teachers, and the competitvness of the school, its a pretty great school. The education quality is fantastic, most the older grade teachers push you, and allow you to go further than you'd ever expect.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 4

Posted April 30, 2014
This is a great school academically. But I think it fails to incorporate important child development appropriate for the different age groups. I think solely forcusing on scores and behavior eliminates the importance of play and free time for children. First year was great, his teacher made it her job that my son didn't fall behind. This year has been a heart ache for my son and for the whole family. I love the team spirit. Principal and teachers should accomodate the kids that are not straight A students. We don't all come from the same mold.

Posted February 14, 2014
A lot of love or hate opinions. My kid was testing at 2 grades above her level according to CPA but when we started at a public school we were at the same level as the other kids in his grade. I give a 1 star because of the treatment my child received. I wonder how many 5 stars reviews are really parents.

Posted February 13, 2014
My son and many of his friends left CPA because of bullying by the principal (Mr. Carr). While there is zero tolerance for bullying between students, Mr. Carr is the biggest bully of all. Grabbing students and yelling in front of others is inappropriate behavior. Yes the test scores are above other districts, because those children who struggle with work overload are forced to leave, so Mr. Carr can be left with only the exception students. The extra long hours, shorter breaks, and hours of homework each day leave little childhood enjoyment left in the children.

Posted February 11, 2014
This is an amazing school that understands how to prepare students for success in both academics and career readiness. The school doesn't focus on "How to Take a Test." Instead, the school tracks and creates an individualized learning plan for every student and ensures they are making progress through the use of regular assessments. As a parent, I wish all schools focused on my student to the same level. They intervene and provide remediation once a student is not making the progress they need. No student is left behind in this school. In fact, they are the top scoring district in the entire State of Ohio. That's pretty impressive. Some parents are unable to handle the rigorous expectations. CPA, however, is focused on the development of children so they can find incredible success in life. Parents who want the best for their children choose CPA. Parents who make excuses for their children should probably go somewhere else.

Posted February 11, 2014
Without a doubt, this is the best school in Ohio. But, it's not because of the test scores. Sure, the test scores are the highest in Ohio. They are the best because of the extremely caring staff and teachers, who tirelessly work to ensure my student has the best opportunities in life. I am so happy that we found this school. My student is reading 2 years above grade level, it 1 year ahead in Math, and LOVES going to school. THANKS, CPA!!!

Posted January 30, 2014
This school offers a challenging curriculum for all its students, pushing them to reach for more. In the few years my children have been at CPA, I have seen them become more driven in their school work. My children care about the quality of work they do and want to be successful. This is something I think CPA has taught my children. While it saddens me to see that some parents feel the teachers are over worked or not helpful, I have not dealt with this type of situation at CPA. The teachers are always willing to give me suggestions on ways to help at home.

Posted January 28, 2014
My reviews are based on my experience in different school districts that are more organized. The school needs to spend its money paving a playground for the children not having them play in dirty muddy areas. The parking lot is a disaster as there needs to be direction and organization, it's too small and everyone is fighting for a parking space. Every week be prepared for your child to take at least 3 tests. The teachers are overwhelmed with students and the office has 6-7 people working In there with no sense of direction. Instead of investing in people in the office or a top of the line printer which sits in their office, invest in a library. Again, I wrote this review to give you a sense of what kind of environment you're putting your children into. I've attended catholic schools as a child who have had less funding so funding isn't the issue. It always comes from the leadership at the top and the staff.

Posted January 28, 2014
This is a great school. The school offer full day kindergarten. Our original plan was to send our child there for its full day kindergarten program. Over time, we love the method that the school is using to teach and discipline our child. Our child love the school and the learning environment there. We decided to continue to have our child continue on to Grade 1 and is now planning to send our second child there too. We have also recommended the school to some of our friends and they are happy with their decision to send their child there. CPA is unique and we are glad it works out for us. It is very serious about doing things in a direct and efficient way without any foolishness or nonsense way of educating our child. They take pride of its effort and the result in educating our child. We are proud to be part of the CPA family.

Posted January 21, 2014
I love having my children at CPA! Never have I seen teachers work so hard to make sure that my kids are prepared for the challenges they will face outside the school (after-school tutoring, title 1, saturday school). While the school does put focus on getting students ready for the OAA, they are not given OAA's every week. What is given are small quizzes by their teachers that go over what they had learned that week in class. The school offers programs for their students in and outside of school like band, volleyball, running club, writer's club, art club and an after-school latch-key program. The grounds around the school contain two playgrounds and many spaces for the teachers to take the students outside to explore. I know my one child enjoys the nature walks their teacher takes around the school during science class. Thank you CPA for all the hard work! My children and I appreciate every thing you do.

Columbus Preparatory Academy
3330 Chippewa St, Columbus, OH  43204
Last modified Columbus Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Columbus Preparatory Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews.