Public charter
Columbus, OH
After care: No

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 27, 2015
The teachers seem really great. They seem to fear the principle like every one else in the building. Plus, got to keep those test scores up if you want to keep your job!

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 27, 2015
More than an hour a day on homework. Really? My child comes home emotionally exhausted everyday and then has to sit down and do homework for an hour.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted August 27, 2015
You better be determined. The principle reminds kids on a daily basis that losers go to public schools. He also reminds them that only the top performers get to come back the next year.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 27, 2015
Again. How can the students learn these traits when their principle is a bully? To not only the students but also the parents.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 27, 2015
It develops fear, anxiety and self loathing in it's students. You must be in the top 1% to be appreciated at this school.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 5

Posted April 19, 2015
I have two children in this school, I am surprised to hear negative reports about the principal Mr. Carr. After reading them, I spoke to both my children to get their ideas about their principal. As I thought, both of my children had nothing but good things to say about him (as I expected). My oldest child attended a public school before CPA. This school is leaps and bounds above anything that SWCC OR Columbus Schools have to offer. While those Districts may be up to par for what they are, they have nowhere near the focus and dedication and expectations of the children that is present at CPA. There is nothing wrong with having higher expectations on children when they are developed with wisdom and love. These teachers and staff are doing a tremendous job educating my children. They are so much further along than I was at their age, and I grew up in a private school. Thank you CPA

Columbus Preparatory Academy 3

Posted June 02, 2014
Cpa is very focused on tests, OAA scores, and test prep. And while that's not exactly a bad thing, here its laid on pretty heavily. The principals saying such as 'if youre not first you're last', and others are a bit unreasonable for a school atmosphere. There are absolutly no bullying problems, although mr Carr is intimidating to the students. There arts and language teachers are phemnominal but unfortunatly the school dosent allow much space, budget or time for these classes. If you can get over the the principal, few ridiculous teachers, and the competitvness of the school, its a pretty great school. The education quality is fantastic, most the older grade teachers push you, and allow you to go further than you'd ever expect.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 4

Posted April 30, 2014
This is a great school academically. But I think it fails to incorporate important child development appropriate for the different age groups. I think solely forcusing on scores and behavior eliminates the importance of play and free time for children. First year was great, his teacher made it her job that my son didn't fall behind. This year has been a heart ache for my son and for the whole family. I love the team spirit. Principal and teachers should accomodate the kids that are not straight A students. We don't all come from the same mold.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 1

Posted February 14, 2014
A lot of love or hate opinions. My kid was testing at 2 grades above her level according to CPA but when we started at a public school we were at the same level as the other kids in his grade. I give a 1 star because of the treatment my child received. I wonder how many 5 stars reviews are really parents.

Columbus Preparatory Academy 1

Posted February 13, 2014
My son and many of his friends left CPA because of bullying by the principal (Mr. Carr). While there is zero tolerance for bullying between students, Mr. Carr is the biggest bully of all. Grabbing students and yelling in front of others is inappropriate behavior. Yes the test scores are above other districts, because those children who struggle with work overload are forced to leave, so Mr. Carr can be left with only the exception students. The extra long hours, shorter breaks, and hours of homework each day leave little childhood enjoyment left in the children.

3330 Chippewa St, Columbus, OH  43204
Last modified Columbus Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Columbus Preparatory Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 69 reviews. Top