Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Poor leadership! As long as you don't challenge or ask questions you will be fine. As a concerned parent, I called for a meeting to discuss a few issues, I left the meeting with nothing being resolved and a letter sent by email that my child was terminated from the school. My child was disciplined for minor behaviors ( such as being caught on a phone ) and placed in a room all day alone. They also went against his IEP. Do your research before putting your child here!

Amount of homework: no rating

My child consistently finishes her work at school and is able to use her time wisely to finish most of her projects at school. This ensures that she is working independently and is learning the material with the instruction of the special education team at school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Students are encouraged to treat their peers and teachers with respect. When a student has been disrespectful there have been steps taken to correct the behavior and this has made my child feel safe.

My daughter has been very successful at Oakstone Academy. She has an ASD. With the direction and care from a wonderful staff in a school that makes her feel safe and encouraged she has excelled and made great strides at this school.

My daughter loves Oakstone! She has excelled as a peer model and has made good friends. The teachers and staff have been easy to communicate with also. I am happy I chose Oakstone, I hope to keep my daughter enrolled there throughout.

Supporting what I've written previously, especially to parent/s who've had a bad experience with the staff @ Oakstone Academy, how did you handle the situation? I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experince, because they are really good and I wish & pray that things have/should change for you & your child to have a positive experience like us @ this school.I'm glad because they have high school now, & my son will be there unless we move out of the state/country.

Oakstone has the best intentions for the students with autism, autism-related diagnois and the peers. I know the majority of the teachers give their 110%, are fully dedicated and commited to serving the children in order to push them to their fulliest potiential. I personally love the Oakstone program and would reccommend it to every family that wants their child to have more a individualized and specialized education...which is hard to find these days.

Oakstone has been amazing for both my autistic & typical children. My autistic son could have transferred to public school from his last, more intensive school prior to Oakstone, but I believe Oakstone was a good next step. They have a standard curriculum that you would find at any public school, yet have the capacity to work w/behavioral issues in a more sensitive & compassionate way. Though, for serious behavior issues, they could do more, easily, & don't. Thus, I think it's an ideal situation for kids with mild to moderate autism. Like any school, there is bureaucracy & the administration is a bit pompous at times. But, I think this is the kind of elitism you'd find at a private school, which Oakstone charter school seems to emulate. I don't have to like these people, my children do & as long as they're doing their job, I'm supportive!

Oakstone did wonders for both my typical and autistic children while they attended from 2006-2007. Both were ready for our home district at the end of the 2007 school year. I agree that it's a great school for kids but the administration does need to improve. Overall, it was a fantastic experience and let my kids have a great foundation to work with in their current school district. My kids are flourishing.

The parent who posted on 3-27-08 said it all. This is an elitist place. If you/your child are part of the school's 'in' group, everything is fine. If not, you/your child are treated badly. The administrators are THE most unprofessional I have ever encountered. The idea for this school is a good one, but they need to get a professional management team who puts children first.

Last modified Oakstone Community School is a Charter school that serves grades 1-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.