Posted April 27, 2014
We have really liked the teachers we have had. My kids especially love art and gym and have learned a lot in both classes. But, the principal does not seem to be firm enough when it comes to discipline. Lots of fighting, bullying and safety issues. When my kids were in latchkey, the principal was gone by the time I came to pick up my kids even though their classroom teachers were still there working. I found it strange that the principal would leave before the teachers especially when there were still children in the building for latchkey. What if something were to happen during latchkey? Doesn't seem safe to me. I was impressed with the teachers still in their classrooms working at 6:00 pm though. Also, doesn't seem as though much is done with literature theme. Maybe, have an author visit every month instead of only once a year. Not a very fun or safe school. We can tell that the teachers try. We just wish that the administration would step it up a bit.

Posted March 29, 2014
I have two children that attend Olde Orchard and we love it! I took a great deal of time when choosing the right school for them. I visited many schools but when I came to Olde Orchard the experience was outstanding and I knew without a doubt that this was the best school for them. Here is why: The staff, teachers and Principal clearly care about these students well-being and education. They go above and beyond to help them. They are kinds, respectful and approachable. They care about the students and the parents. I have been a very active and involved parent at the school for the past four years. I have gotten to the staff and teachers and principal incredibly well. Again, I will say that they are exceptional in all that they do. My children have had positive experiences there. They love their teachers, they love education and they love school! Also, Mrs. Brown is an outstanding Principal and person. She puts her heart into everything she does there. She cares so much for these kids and wants the best for them. She is kind, honest, fair, the hardest worker I have ever met. She is always there for parents and students.

Posted March 22, 2014
I can't believe the negative reviews on here! I love Olde Orchard! The teacher, the staff everyone is great! And the principal is so involved and truly cares about my child. I am shocked by the parents who say they never see her-I do all the time! With over 500 students in the building I am in awe of all the work that she does! Five stars to Olde Orchard my third grader is thriving! Thumbs up to the principal and the entire staff!

Posted February 16, 2014
i went here for k-5 and its horrid i hated it the teachers were ghetto and always leaving the classroom,and didnt suspend a girl even when she told a teacher to shut up.

Posted September 28, 2013
Agree office staff disorganized and don't seem to enjoy kids especially if your kid is sick. If you are a secretary in a school you should want to be with kids all the time. Lots of bullying, too many kids in classes, and principal not very involved. Principal does not spend much time working with kids and doesn't do anything about class size or bullying. And very little mental health support for kids who need it which would probaly stop the bullying. Recess an unsupervised mess! I will say that some of the blame lays with the parents who don't care. If the parents taught their kids not to bully at home, it wouldn't be a problem.

Olde Orchard Alternative Elementary School 3

Posted September 25, 2013
This year the school seems out of focus. Too many issues and agree too much bullying! Kindergarten class way too big still and it is causes kids new to school to start their school years off on a negative. Mrs Byrum 1st grade though seems to be a great, focused, teacher. Someone needs to step in now and fix classroom size and get more help on the playground.

Posted September 20, 2013
Very little supervision at recess. Lots of bullying on playground. Principal never seems to be on playground to see it. Very little involvement from parents.

Posted August 21, 2013
this is a great school my daughter has and is still learning so much, the teachers are wonderful and great with the kids, when my daughter was in K she was reading at proficient level thanks to her teacher, im so proud of her.

Posted August 15, 2013
My son suffers from depression and PTSD and the principal did not seem to care. It took days for the school counselor to get in touch with me after I told the principal that my son needed to speak to the counselor. The classroom teacher was very nice but seemed totally overwhelmed with a huge class. I understand that the teacher has to teach and has many children to take care of but the principal does not have to teach so I don't see why she was not helping my son. It seems as though all the children with behavior problems are lumped together so if your child gets stuck in that class its not going to be a good year. I was at the school a lot and it did not seem as though the principal was in the classrooms interacting with kids. I never saw her on the playground at recess or cafeteria at lunchtime either. I felt sorry for the poor teacher but the principal does not deserve to be making her huge salary. I was at the school several days a week and I couldn't figure out what the principal did. There were days I did not even see the principal! And no assemblies, outside speakers, or anything fun for the kids.

Olde Orchard Alternative Elementary School 2

Posted May 13, 2013
The teachers seemed to really care but the secretaries and office staff are disorganized and do not seem to be there for the kids. My child was sent back to class when sick at school and I was not contacted. The secretary told me it was "not her job" to help my sick child. Also, the secretaries were not relaying my messages to the principal. The principal does not seem to deal with behavior problems and many of these children are allowed to ruin learning for the rest of the class. The principal needs to hold parents accountable for their children's behavior. I was pleased with my child's teacher though. She seemed to do the best she could with the children she was given.

Contact Information

800 McNaughten Road
Columbus, OH 43232

School website

Olde Orchard Alternative Elementary School
800 McNaughten Road, Columbus, OH  43232
Last modified Olde Orchard Alternative Elementary School is a public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Olde Orchard Alternative Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.