Posted January 18, 2011
This school is so focused on discipline that there is no time left for learning. We're half way through the year and I haven't seen any academic progress in my child. Yet he comes home several days a week having had all recesses taken away for the entire class for one silly reason or another. I believe six year olds will learn better with time to play. It is not an environment conducive to learning. I am doing all I can to find another school for my child next year.

Shady Lane Elementary School 5

Posted November 07, 2010
I attended this school way back in kindergarten. 1960-61. I am glad it is still around and in such good shape. I don't remeber the teachers names, but I do remeber always learnig a lot for my later schools.

Posted January 13, 2009

Shady Lane Elementary School 5

Posted May 27, 2008
shady Lane is awsome! My daughter has been going here for 5 ys begining in 1st grd now she is in 5th. I wish she could go to this school all the way to 12th. the staff, teachers and Mrs Burris are amazing, the care and concern they have for these children doing well and learning all they can is above and beyond the norm. I comend them for the hard work and dedication they have everyday. They will be missed and thought of often when my daughter has to go to middle school and I can only hope her next school can compare to the last 5 years at Shady Lane.

Posted October 03, 2006
My son is in his second year at Shady Lane. We have had some behavior issues and the staff, teachers and administrators have been excellent to work with. The other parents seem to have very little interest in thier children but in spite of that Mrs. Burris and her staff are doing great things. As much negative press as public schools get have been surprised at how caring, professional and effective this school is.

Posted October 13, 2004
My kids have been at Shady Lane for 5 years and I believe the school has really improved. The teachers, school staff and principal are working hard to improve the reputation of this inner city school. I hope more parents make the choice to get involved, and with this parent involvement we will see great returns. Shady Lane is a good school.

Posted July 20, 2004
I personally had a really bad experience at Shady Lane with my kindergartener. My child is still tramatised from the experience. He was constantly being disciplined for things he wasn't doing because he is a big child. I wouldn't think anything of it if I wouldn't have went into the school to observe it for myself. I was also treated very badly by all the staff especially the secretary. Personally I will never send my child there again.

Posted October 08, 2003
After moving our daughter from a private school to Shady Lane, she absolutely blossomed. Mrs. Burris (the principal) asks for teachers to commit to the students, students to commit to learning and the parents to commit to supporting the students and teachers. We were initially worried about discipline, but we wish we would have moved our daughter to Shady Lane earlier. We love it!

Shady Lane Elementary School
1444 Shady Ln Rd, Columbus, OH  43227
Last modified Shady Lane Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shady Lane Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top