Columbus, OH
Students enrolled: 1,131

West High School 5

Posted July 12, 2010
As a former student of WHS, the senior choir president, thespian society president, Ensemble president and dance captain, gay/straight alliance president, and National Honor Society member, my experience at West was nothing short of amazing. I had excellent teachers (Duffner, Masters, Dodge, Wallace, Moore, Gear, Seimer) and never had problems in the school. I admit, I was a "popular" kid, and flew through everything academically (3.7-4.0 GPA), however, the support I received from both faculty AND involved parents in the school was phenomenal. My senior councelor, Robert Ramsey, helped myself and other students explore career choices, while all of my other teachers were very active and involved in my and others' collegiate endeavors. You truly have to be a sloth not to succeed at this school, as the teachers go the extra mile for their students. A+

Posted April 09, 2010
I am a parent and my two sons went to West High School for a few months. Our situation was the bond issue not passing in Southwestern Schools. The coaches, teachers, and staff knew of our situation and I can say nothing but good things. My boys got to play football, received great grades, and loved going to West. The students were great and my sons met alot of new friends. We can say the same as parents. We were treated with respect, made alot of new friends in other parents at the games. When it came time that the boys switched back to their original school, we were wished the best and welcome back whenever we wanted. I wil always remember our time at West and will support them in anything they do. Go Cowboys!

Posted March 11, 2010
west is the worst my son is a student at west he is a honor roll student also plays sports I FEAR HIM ATTENDING THIS SCHOOL.Thats why we are moving the teachers are awful they really do not care about teaching at all it is just a paycheck for them they need to repair the building and fire everyone and start over the drop out rate is high the school has been on lockdown twice this year awful school

Posted October 03, 2009
West High has been the starting point for some remarkable people, Michael Redd,for one.

West High School 2

Posted April 20, 2007
As a former student of West (2004-2006) I would not recommend this school to anyone. Although their extracurricular activities are awesome their academics are at a very low standard. I remember passing classes I didn't even attend. Along with this teachers treat the students with the utmost disrespect. If you've got one mark against you on your record it's enough to kill your whole credibility at West High School. As I said before I would not recommend this school.

West High School 3

Posted November 14, 2006
I have heard many complaints in the past year or so about overt attempts to exclude parental involvement. It is certainly true that few opportunities exists and very little is publicised. This week are parent conferences and I had to call the school to find out when they were. The last parent newsletter was August--now it is November. It isn't fair to blame the parents when the school works so hard to send them away.

West High School 3

Posted October 05, 2006
I too find that some of the teachers as well as the administration staff see all the children in this school as liars and troublemakers. I have two gifted students at this school & I feel as if I have made a grave mistake. The principal I tolerate, most of the teachers need to teach rather than try to be these kids friend all the time. I understand the lack of parental involvement since they make no attempt to notify parents of meetings.(except for the select few that agree with everything)I am not happy with the school, and we have tried to lottery into other schools with no luck. And unfortunately their home school is not any better.It was so sad my daughters went to their homecoming dance and left early because the students were dirty dancing(in the worst way) while the principal, several vice principals and teachers watched. Truly sad.

West High School 2

Posted September 08, 2005
Some of the extracurricular activities at this school at amazing especially the ensemble who are two time national champions. Their are many sports programs that are well coached and supported. The academic programs are alright but the academies system is terrible and hurts the students overall education. The main problem with the school is overall lack of parental involvement and support. Their is a very select few who are very involved. Although these few are a great group and do many great things they lack the power of a larger group.

West High School 5

Posted September 06, 2005
My child has attended West since 9th grade. She is an Honors Student and has been on the Volleyball, Softball, Basketball & track teams. She applies herself to her work. The counsler at the school is very involved and always made her aware of the opportunities that were out there. She's not a NERD but popluar. Teachers love her and always compliment her on her attitude and work habits. When she has had a hard time in a subject, the teachers were always willing to give her extra work or tutor her. The teachers are not the problem, it's the non caring attitude of the Parents. The Parents that need to go to the PTA meetings are never there. Most have no ideal of what is going on at the school. Several of the teachers at West High have made a difference in my childs life.

West High School 1

Posted September 13, 2004
I as well went to West High School and I have had 2 children go to West. It has been a struggle to get both of them through school. My oldest son did not graduate and last year I tried and tried to work with them to show that they cared about my daughters education as she was a junior. (She is a senior this year). They are very uncaring there and I also agree that they are just there for a paycheck. I do not wish any parent to send there child to this unless they have to. It was not a good school when I was there.

179 South Powell Ave, Columbus, OH  43204
Last modified West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top