Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Administration has the attitude of their way or the highway. Teachers are permitted to bully and many are sub par as to ability and/or effectiveness. Expect to spend many hours with your child augmenting the educational process at home. Influx of outside neighborhood children brings an increase in disciplinary issues.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

absolutely does nothing. bullying is on the playground, in the classroom, extra-curricular activities. teachers as well as students involved.

Supports LD students: Neutral

have no clue, my child does not have learning differences although there is seemingly an overpopulation of those with them.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

Listens, and then argues and does what she wants to do. Teacher management doesn't exist, principle provides nothing but lip service.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

some of teachers are good. none are excellent. many should find roles where they are not in contact with anyone.

Amount of homework: Disagree

the homework sent home is often enough and more, it lacks foundation and support from the teacher. when you have to spend your evening teaching without materials there is little reason for the teacher being there. This is only exasperated by having to correct the teacher's answers and direction. Puts your child in a difficult position.

Develops character: Disagree

Administration and teachers are influenced heavily by ingrained neighborhood cronies that are only interested in the promotion of their own interests and children. Their children are some of the worst and seemingly are always on the podium receiving awards and praise.

I wrote the last review and forgot a couple of teachers. Mrs Strausburg (formerly Ms Boyce) brought my son's reading grade up from a first grade reading level to a fourth grade reading level in one year. And Mrs Graham helped keep it there, also Mr Goode is an excellent teacher. He also runs the patrol for the kids.

My husband and I absolutely love Westgate. We actually just wish Westgate went to 8th or even 12th grade. My son actually cried last year when he had to leave to go to Middle School. My children LOVE it there, and the teachers and principal are AMAZING. We have our favorites, of course, Mrs Graham, Mr Thorn, Mrs Roston (no longer there), Mrs Mabry, and Mrs Steffes, all EXCEPTIONAL teachers. But so are all of the rest. My son was there 1st-5th and my daughter is there now in 3rd. And she loves going to school everyday. We wouldn't send our kids anywhere else. Westgate is the best in Columbus.

I may have to recant my last post...I called to make sure everything was ok with my son's registration, and was told they weren't sure and would need to look into it and call me back the next day? How do you not know what is required for registration at the school you work at? This is AFTER I was told yesterday the admin staff is there from 8:30-3 prior to the school year beginning, and was met by only janitors when I arrived to register him at 8:40...I'm a working, single parent, and feel my time is being wasted!

Last modified Westgate Alternative Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.