Bad
Good

I went to Kenwood and I am proud as well as pleased to be able to send my kids to the school. The school is a community, a family even. There have been administration changes and changes in the teaching staff (you'd expect that over 29 years) but the quality of the program has only improved. When I took my oldest for Kindergarten orientation it felt like being home in all the best ways. My kids are getting a fabulous education that does far more than teach to standardized tests and common core.

We have had kids at Ecole Kenwood for 4 years and I highly recommend it. It is a true immersion setting, meaning that the curriculum is taught in French and that is how the students learn it; it's not a setting where there is a daily French class with other subjects taught in English. (English instruction does begin to happen in 2nd grade, and the reading skills the students have learned in French transfer to reading in English) We LOVE the teachers and their love for the kids is obvious. We have wonderful support with our principal. Two things that I truly appreciate about Kenwood are the sense of community that we value and the diversity we have. We have involved parents and there are a variety of ways parents and students build the community. Our students come from all over the city and come from families with diverse racial and national origin backgrounds, diverse socio-economic statuses, and diverse family structures. When we were looking at our school options when our oldest was about to start kindergarten, we chose to stay in CCS for these reasons. Immersion schools are not common in the US and Kenwood provides such a unique opportunity for children in Columbus.

I am very pleased with Ecole Kenwood! I was recommended by a very close friend of ours who went there. My child is in 1st grade, and LOVES it! He is always eager to go, and never complains. He has loved all the teachers, and only has positive things to say. I would recommend this school to anyone in the CCS district! Great school, even better teachers!

For the parent that posted right before me.. I can honestly say as an alumni I miss it very much.. There are never too many disciplinary issues that the teachers and staff couldn't handle easily, and as far as french speaking teachers go as a parent you should work with your children to ensure they're learning.. Kenwood is a school where as a parent your participation is needed as much as your child's and you're important to your child's success and by becoming involved with your child and their teachers it would greatly help... I LOVE KENWOOD and am sending my children there when they're old enough...Je t'aime les profs and l'ennvironment

for the parent who complained about the hiring of non-french speaking teachers, what grades are they teaching? Because if I do recall they are in the higher grades or extra-curricular classes where english is a must. the younger grades are almost if not fully in french but by middle school age they need classes in english. Over all i would say Kenwood is the best school in CCS and in all honesty if the program fails it will be on the heads of the school board, the superintendent and not the staff of the school

Ecole Kenwood has an amazing program. Issues with children not listening are due to lack of parental involvement and there are very few situations like this at Kenwood. The teachers do an amazing job and the school has a wonderful community of helpful and knowledgeable parents. I believe my daughter is getting a top notch education.

The last two posters are correct. The older children are well-behaved. It s the new students (Kindergarten-1st grade) who are troublesome. Most attention goes to unruly kids. Those who behave get overlooked because discipline problems take too much of the teacher s time. Sadly, this school will become another failure for the District. And, it won t even be due to discipline issues. The downfall of this once great immersion program will happen because the integrity of the program has been severely compromised by the hiring of non-French speaking teachers (three more added this year). It s impossible to teach in French when you don t speak the language. If this keeps up, it will no longer be an immersion program, just another Columbus Public School and that s nothing to brag about!

In my experience with my daughter who attended K thru 8 and my son who is presently a student in the 6th grade the students are far from unruly and are in fact well disciplined. I have been very happy with the school and have never regretted my choice to have my children attend Ecole Kenwood.

The French immersion program is wonderful and the teachers and staff are fantastic. Unfortunately, they are hampered by a sub-par school district. Discipline is a problem - students are unruly and the teachers don't have many options to enforce discipline. My child's teacher spent half her time teaching and half her time disciplining. Public schools need to find a way to let good students learn without being hampered by the discipline problems of others. Ecole Kenwood is a top notch option if you are attending Columbus Public Schools.

This is the best educational opportunity in Columbus. It has the feel of a private school in a public school system. A 2nd language is the first and foremost appeal, but it trulty has everything--art, music, math, science, sports.

Last modified Ecole Kenwood Alternative K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.