Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

With small school setting the "layers" of administration overhead are mostly non-exsistant. Not saying things always were ones i agreed with but you could always go straight to the top with questions and ideas.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Public service projects are part of graduation requirements. Again because of small size other community organizations (Boy/Girl scouts and youth church groups) often coordinated with the school schedules.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My kids were lucky that most of the teachers were relatively young many older teachers had retired. They had a great deal of enthusiasm and energy.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

Small town small school the parents know one another so the idea that the school handles this is all inclusive as part of the neighborhood. In this context the school would bring the situation to light and then have both sets of parents come and meet about the situation.

Both children attended Grandview from kindergarten to graduation. Both enjoyed both the individual attention and the many opportunities of a very small school. Plethora of extracurricular events was amazing from sports music and theater programs to science/robotic teams. While not as well known as other suburbs the education was well rounded and both my children went on to four year institutions and graduated into jobs that they are still pursuing. They have lifelong friends and neighborhood relationships.

Supports LD students: Agree

They are very individualistic in terms or learning programs for each child my son had a early reading problem and they caught it early he is again a college graduate in engineering. That pretty much says it all.

Coming from a Catholic school and the time frame being the mid fifties, I easily made friends and enjoyed that aspect of Grandview. My problem was the teachers. If your parents were active in the school, volunteering or whatever you were treated very special. Also if your older siblings had gone to Grandview you were treated with much affection and as if you were part of the schools legacy. Being Catholic and having a widowed father who did his best I was considered "different ". The majority of teachers had been there for years and were old school in their teaching techniques. I struggled with Algebra and my freshman algebra teacher NEVER took me aside to offer any helpful suggestions. She just made it easy on herself and failed me whereas I learned more from those few months in summer school than I ever learned at Grandview. I once was called over by a teacher in study hall and asked quote, "why did you come to Grandview?? Why didn't you go to a Catholic School. Very hurtful for a 15 year old. I In my adult years I taught school and my goal was to treat every student like they were each very special and many times offered my help to any student that was struggling by staying after school to help them. Grandview teachers made me feel like I was a slow learner and treated me with indifference. It took many years for me realize that I was smart and very capable. By the way my 3 children all have advanced degrees and have make me very proud. Grandview high school did not help me in anyway.. It was my my dear Grandview friends who enriched my life NOT GHS!!

The wealthy and connected parents make sure their kids get everything. If you are not a sports superstar or are doing something that makes the school look good you get ignored. A small school in a small town with people trying to impress others and out for their own interests. The school doesn't do much to prepare students for life outside the Grandview bubble.

Great teachers, building is old and needs updating

Last modified Grandview Heights High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.