9-12|Private

Bad
Good

this is a good school if you're looking for academic excellence. However some of the teachers that had been there for quite some time needs to be retrained. My son constantly had complained about a few teachers who are there not teaching but mostly storytelling about personal life. the administration also needs to be reworked. There's far too many admin staff that needs skills in customer service. This stubbornness may stem from the fact that this is a parochial school. However there are better schools around the area that is just as good. For instance, Dayton Regional STEM school is a great school if you're looking for excellence academically. My son enjoys his friends at the school and its the only thing that's stopping me from transferring him out toanother school. If you're a parent of a freshman and considering the school, looking to other schools such as the stem school or alter. Maybe far but I believe that it's a better parochial school then this cool.

CJ is an amazing high school. All three of my children have attended. The president, Dan Meixner is amazingly talented , faith-filled person. He is genuine about his love for CJ and for Catholic education. All three of my children are attending colleges of there choice and have been well prepared for the rigor of college. The guidance office is amazing! Their expertise and intentional approach to preparing the students for the college application and selection process far exceeded my expectations . Thank you CJ!!!!

I am a former student, currently in my sophomore year of college. I graduated from CJ and I am so proud of that title. When I came to college, and people asked where I went to high school, they immediately said "You must be a smart kid, that's supposed to be one of the top high schools in Ohio!" There are cons about every high school, there is always someone who is going to complain about something; but if you want your child in a caring and diversified environment, I would advise you to pick CJ. While in my four years at CJ I made life long friendships, and though the education was excellent, that is what I will always remember, the people. CJ prides itself on its Christian values, and that was a huge part of my experience at CJ. CJ is one of the only high schools in Dayton with a place dedicated to doing service and makes it a priority to do service NOT ONLY in the Dayton area, but also around the world. I can honestly say CJ was what made me the person I am today.

I find that those who gave this school a bad rating are those who wants everything handed to them and expects a perfect world. This school is a great college prep regardless that it is in inner city location. It is not perfect but I find that the students here are respectful, hard working in comparison to the inner city public school. In short, the CJ students don't act like they are from inner city.

I am a former student, currently a sophomore in college, and I can honestly say CJ was the best thing that happened to me. The academics were great and most of the teachers were first rate who truly cared about their students. In fairness there were a few teachers that were "bad apples" but that happens at every school. For the most part these teachers are gone with in a few years as their true ability, or lack there of, is realized. The administration is very approachable with any problems and the guidance department is a great resource when it comes to finding colleges. The ministry and service department made everyone feel welcome, even non Catholics. The retreats that were put on were life changing for many people and a great way to bond. CJ has a sense of community that I have seen no where else and i have built bonds with other students, teachers, and faculty that will last a lifetime. If you want to have a memorable experience while learning a lot about the world and yourself attend Chaminade Julienne.

CJ graduates 98% of their students and that is because if the administration feels that you will fail they simply ask you to withdraw. I have a huge problem with this. That is not a solution. What does that message send to our kids? As teenagers we expect that mistakes will be made, as adults we are suppose to guide our children in the right direction, not discard them when they mess up. This policy is only enforced for those students that are not Star athletic, because if you play football at CJ, your grades really don t matter. So know that if you are considering sending your child to CJ, the administration will not be there to help your child, they will advise them to go to a Dayton Public School, unless they play a sport and are good at that sport. The administration is more concerned with keeping up with appearances than they are with their students. It s really pretty sad!!!

As a former student, I am surprised to see many positive reviews. Relative to public schools, there are a lot of good things to say about CJ academically. But, an apples to apples comparison (Catholic school to Catholic school), CJ is really below average. It is a rough, inner city school where many (would be public school) sports recruits go undisciplined. The teachers are hit and miss. I was an honors student and most honors teachers were quite good. But the teachers of generic classes that everyone has to take (Health, PE, Religion etc.) are sloppy and disengaged. The student body is not cohesive (students are from all around the city which is not the school's fault but does not help). Consider Alter or Carroll

im currently attending cj and i love it! the community is great and the spirit is incredible!

I have one daughter who has graduated from chaminade-julienne and one more to attend beginning 2009. My first daughter i feel received a good education and has gone on to use that at University of Cincinnati. She was very much involved in the soccer pprogram at CJ and is now playing club soccer at UC. I feel it is important to get a good base education before you move onto college and I feel my daughter has received that from CJ. That is one of the reasons I am sending my other daughter there plus we are of the Catholic religion and I feel it is importtant to stress the Catholic values taught at CJ. They also need to be stressed at home too.

Last modified Chaminade Julienne High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12