No rating

Carroll High School

Private | 9-12 | 881 students

Living in Dayton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $81,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted September 13, 2013

I am currently in my 3rd year at Carroll high and I highly recommend this school. I take all AP and honors classes and I feel very confident in my education and teachers, most certain with my science teachers. The religion teachers are very tolerant of other beliefs which is wonderful since I do not believe in theology. My math teacher, Dr. Carter, was the best teacher I've ever had. She's quite intimidating but funny and very fair although extraordinarily strict. I have not witnessed any bullying. A new principal took over my freshman year and many positive changes have happened in our school since. Very caring, very involved, and very open to new policies and clubs. I would say that I am not one to stay home a Friday night and I do not quite follow rules, but I have only come across fairness in my punishment. I truly feel my teachers care about my education and I have never felt my grade has been personally affected by a teacher spitefully. My only complaint is the lack of air conditioning.

Posted August 8, 2013

I graduated in 2012 and I can honestly say going to Carroll is was a great decision. I went all four years and even though there was no air conditioning its still a great school. The teachers genuinely care about their students. Carroll prepared me so well for college it was crazy. In my first couple of weeks at college I had felt like I had already learned everything they were teaching. In regards to the negative reviews about Carroll, I never experienced bullying nor did I ever see anything that constituted bullying. Carroll is a great school and I highly recommend sending your child there.

Posted August 8, 2013

I have found Carroll High School to be the best choice for our son. Many know how far superior their academics are and how the Catholic faith is immersed into the student body through mass, numerous service projects, and daily life. The teachers are passionate about their commitment to their students. My son has found everyone to be friendly and supportive. I have seen Carroll work very hard at trying to make it a place where everyone has an opportunity to feel welcomed. Our experience has been that it is an extension of family and I'm very excited to have my daughter start there soon as well. It is worth every amount of investment and I am always inspired by the young men and women that achieve so many great things before they even graduate. I highly recommend parents and their children to visit the school and talk to many who attend so they can hear for themselves how great this place is. It truly elevates their minds and challenges them to accomplish great things in this world. You would be amazed.

Posted August 8, 2013

Carroll High School is a great choice for any parent wanting a faith based and academically challenging school. I have found the faculty and staff to be very committed to helping all students achieve. . My husband graduated from CHS and my first of four children has graduated. I can't imagine sending them anywhere else. My son is currently a sophomore in college and was well prepared in all his classes and I attribute that to his commitment to work hard in high school and the commitment of the faculty and staff at Carroll High School. They offer many activities for all students who want to be involved. They also offer many types of service projects that really help develop not only good students but great adults.

Posted July 8, 2013

2013 Graduate - Environment is not Catholic at all. Students regularly face bullying issues and nothing is done about them. Administration ignores most student issues especially personal. Some staff/teachers "pick" on students which downgrades the student a lot. Teachers love to throw demerits @ students like they gain satisfaction from it. Some even don't let you use the bathroom in an emergency or even ban you from a certain bathroom(you know who you are.) The academics are pretty good especially the science/biology/medical classes. Your fellow students are not going to grab you into their clique, they are not going to come up to you and ask to be your friend. Only reason I stayed @ Carroll was because my friends were there with me especially in times of needs. The freshmen/sophomore counselor was like a mom to me. Really helpful in keeping you in check. I could go on and on but one more thing, this school doesn't have air conditioning... so you will sweat your body out in the spring/summer which greatly affected my education in class negatively.

Posted May 10, 2013

Archbishop John Carroll High School is a Catholic school that welcomes children of all faiths. Our child, a non-Catholic, received an outstanding, academically challenging, faith-based education. We believe a CHS diploma is worth MANY times the cost of tuition. The fine guidance staff helped our child apply for and earn a full college scholarship. Carroll's wonderful student body is a direct reflection of involved parents, an erudite and dedicated faculty, and a visionary administration. I can't think of a better gift to give a child than a Carroll education.

Posted November 7, 2011

I had 2 children going to Carroll at one time. My youngest was excused from Carroll right before Christmas because of too many demerits! We were told to find him another school. My oldest refused to go back in her in her senior year. She was bullied, beat up, suspended, and recieved detention. She didn't start the fight, and the other person knew the principal and recieved NOTHING! In a world where we are trying to teach our children tolerance. Is it really important that a shirttail is sticking out? The reason they have such a high percentage of college scholarships is because if you don't conform, you get dismissed! Not the Catholic education I wanted for my kids! Since then, a new principal but the clicks keep on!

Posted April 6, 2011

I am a Carroll graduate and 2 of my children are also graduates. The education that we received was excellent and we all felt that it prepared us well for college. The teachers are dedicated, caring individuals who are good role models for the students. I wanted my sons surrounded with peers who had high academic and career goals. Carroll offers that, with 98% of it's grads going to college. The test scores of the students are among the highest in the area. Both of my sons received college scholarships that were not due to financial need. The retreats, service opportunities and extracurricular activities help to create a strong Christian environment. I have researched the area schools, and I strongly recommend Carroll.

Posted March 22, 2010

I am a former student of Carroll high school and my siblings attended the school up until this year. The academics are excellent, but the environment is extraordinarily negative. The administration is entirely oblivious to problems in the school, and have no communication with parents or students. It is far from a Christian/ Catholic environment. Like I said, the academics are superior to many schools in the area, but the negative, and even harmful environment, is hardly worth it. I would never recommend putting your children in this school.

Posted November 21, 2008

We would not recommend this school to anyone! Unfortunately we can`t be specific in this review about the problems we have had with this school but be warned if you do decide to send your child to Carroll make sure they don`t take anything valuable to school.Worst of all the principle seems to be oblivious to what is going on in his own school.

Posted September 5, 2008

I am a parent of two students who have already graduated from Carroll and one student still attending Carroll. I feel it is the best high school in the area. My students who have graduated both got scholarships based on academic skill which were worth 5 times as much as what I spent to send my students there. They attended UD and The University of Notre Dame. Both were very prepared for the college classes they took and graduated. I think the strong academics and the good values are the best around.

Posted November 13, 2007

I am currently a senior and its been the best experience for me. The teachers and staff are awesome and dedicate themselves to their students. The environment really works to enstill good values as well as a strong foundation for our future.

Posted January 27, 2007

My daughter is a sophomore at Carroll. I am very impressed with the faculty and the school. I think she will be very grateful for the high level of education she received at Carroll when she is in college.

Posted March 24, 2005

I am an alumnus (many years ago), and I was very happy to see such great reviews for my high school. I feel that I was very well prepared for college. I was able to handle a full course load without a problem. I had learned all of my organization skills and problem solving skills during my experience at Carroll. Many of my fellow pre-med colleagues were struggling with the work load, but I felt very ready from the beginning. I think the discipline and curriculum at Carroll was very beneficial to my college career and my professional career. I just hope that I can find a great school like Carroll for my son in our community. I'm also happy that Mr. Sens continues to lead the school. He was and still is a great principal.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 12, 2005

I have 2 students attending Carroll, and they are doing well. It's tough academically, but it will prepare them for college. Plus the atmosphere is very spiritually supportive. Discipline has been enforced, but I think the quality of students attending makes it easier to maintain. I give Carroll my highest recommendation.

Posted August 23, 2004

A great school with very strict and carring teachers and administrators. My daughter, a senior, has and is receiving one of the best educations a parent could expect from a school.

Posted September 9, 2003

I'm a student at Carroll, and in all honesty, it's a wonderful education. I'm a senior, and I feel well-prepared for college and beyond. CHS has prepared me to be an independant thinker as well as one who is respectful of others' opinions. Thanks to Carroll, I have a good worldview (thank you, Mrs. Steiritz), and can express my ideas effectively (Miss Downie, that's you). This is a wonderful school.

Posted August 26, 2003

I am a parent of a student from the class of 2003. I feel Carroll provided my son with a strong academic hs education. His experience goes well beyond academics. The environment he was a part of for 4 years provided a positive young adult base on which to build on.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 14 national Merit Scholars (2008)
  • 13.4 million in scholarships (2008)
  • 5th in state in Oh Math Teachers Competition (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (937) 258-7001

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Latin
  • Spanish

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Cincinnati

• Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Education commission, booster club band parents organization, sports clubs, parent volunteers