No rating

The Miami Valley School

Private | PK-12 | 515 students

Living in Dayton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $117,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted July 15, 2013

I taught at Miami Valley School for five years and found it to be a wonderful school. The students are unusually kind and civil, and the other teachers are dedicated and caring. It is by far the best K-12 education one can find in the Dayton area. If I had a child, I would want him or her to attend Miami Valley. The Immersion program is also very special. I
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 22, 2013

We researched all the local schools and decided on MVS because it has a very welcoming, diverse atmosphere with small classrooms and exceptional teachers. Our boys attended MVS Early Childhood for the last two years, and they have blossomed! Their vocabularies, senses of curiosity, imaginations, and coordination have exponentially grown. On the weekends, they always ask if it is a school day and are sad to hear they have to wait until Monday. They love their teachers, and have amazing friends from every different cultural and ethnic background. I love this school and we are very sad that we will be moving next year! Highly recommend to any family coming to this area! It is more than worth the investment.

Posted September 18, 2011

i have been going to MVS for three years. I've got to say that my parents made the right choice for sending me here. the students there are more that nice. the teachers challenge you to become self-sustaining learners and compassionate global citizens. this is the best school i have ever been to.

Posted April 13, 2010

Its has been a great school for both students and parents. The students have been getting one on one attention, customized learning programs and challenges and the parents are welcome to be a part of it all. We have been a part of MVS for 5 years and have been very happy with things. However, there have been recent changes over the last two years that are concerning. No dedicated librarian, more focus on athletics, less on academics, larger class sizes and fewer teachers. We understand that it is a balancing act to continue to provide the same quality of education in this economy; and are very hopeful that the school stays true to its mission statment and commitment to students. We would like to continue to be a part of this school but it may not be worth the tuition if they choose to be average.

Posted March 19, 2010

My daughter is a recent graduate of MVS. I don't think we appreciated the benefits the school offered enough until she went to college. Apart from the excellent academics, how she is different to other kids in college is her confidence and her ability to stand up for herself , assert her views without feeling she has to go with the crowd. I think the supportive small class size and the nurturing enviorment fosted this confidence and the self assurance that she possesses which makes her stand out among the other teen in college. To us, it was the best gift we could have given out child.

Posted January 5, 2010

I love MVS as well. I have never known a school so devoted not only to the student, but also to the family. We have had two personal crisis while my son has been at the school, the first medical and the second financial, and MVS administrators and teachers went well above and beyond to assist us so that our son could continue his education at MVS. He positively loves this school. The students are wonderful

Posted December 25, 2009

i just transferred schools this year and currently go to The Miami Valley School. I was at a huge public school where I was failing, but did pass the 8th grade. When one of the parents at Mvs who has a big part with mvs and all. He came up to me and told me about this school and that they needed some big man for sports mostly basketball though and that this school would be right for me. I applied to the school and they were very generous and accepted me. I love this school so far as a freshman and hope to like it even more in my next years. GO RAMS
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 15, 2009

Thus far we have been happy with The Miami Valley School; however, the focus appears to be shifting from academics to athletics (one example: they just fired the librarians while hiring a soccer coach...) We're there for the strong academic program so we'll be warily watching. I'm also looking forward to seeing AP/SAT/ACT scores or info for 08 & 09.

Posted March 6, 2009

I love this school!! We tried public-it was a dreadful experience for both of our boys. But they are both thriving and excelling! They love it at mvs!! You will, too, because the staff, teachers and students are all so incredibly nice. They really do see and appreciate the whole child. What a great place for our boys to be!

Posted March 4, 2009

This is my son's first year attending The Miami Valley School and he is absolutely thriving both academically and socially. There is a very diverse student body, excellent teachers, challenging academics and great extra-circular activities. The mission statement says it all - 'Challenge young people of promise to become self-sustaining learners and compassionate global citizens.' They live up to this statement 100%.

Posted September 29, 2008

My Student currently goes here, and it has been the best expierence ever. All the teachers are always there to help the children individually, the parents and faculty are always working together to help and improve the school. I have never seen such a put-together school. My child is friends with all the kids in the grade, and her grades are so high due to the attention of teachers. Academic level is higher than usual, but great for college transcripts.

Posted April 29, 2008

The student who posted the review has not actually been to the school, and has completey overlooked the point of Miami Valley. Its a great community to be apart of, my daughter goes there, and everybody was very welcoming. The teachers are always there to help. I highly reccomend.

Posted March 25, 2008

I hate this school. I left because i was so unhappy. There are so many mean kids and they get by with everything. It was so frustrating and the teachers and administrators are very weak. Don't go to Miami Valley~
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 10, 2008

Its a great school. The Extracurriculars rock by the way! The kids especially are the best part of the school. They are so nice and smart/

Posted March 23, 2007

Wonderful school environment for children of all ages. Teachers are the best and go above and beyond. The only downfall is the cost of tuition which is more than most colleges in the area. If you can afford it, it is worth it.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 19% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Media arts
  • Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now