PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Way too much homework. Some teachers will give 3 hours of homework per night. Some sport's practices take up 3 hours so it's hard to get all your homework done. The school essentially expects you to spend 12 hours a day on school work.

I think that this is the best option available for my child in the Dayton area, but like any school it is not perfect. - The curriculum is rigorous and the expectations are high, which are two characteristics that we look for in a school. - There are great teachers, and there are teachers who don't seem to subscribe to the overall theme of inclusion. - Similarly to other reviews that have been posted recently, I have noticed that there are many new teachers in the past few years and they do not seem to be as experienced or effective as I would expect at the leading school in Dayton. - Non-academic opportunities (clubs, sports) are a big part of MVS, and many of the teachers are fully dedicate to making them an amazing experience for the kids. - There is a sense of community for the kids, but the school administration can sometimes be a bit closed to input from parents. Bottom line, MVS is a solid school that offers plenty of opportunity to its students. It isn't the "over the top" quality we expected, but I think it is the best secular option in the Dayton area.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Cheating is very common. Teachers give grades based on how they feel about you, political beliefs and how much money you give to the school

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Love Mrs. Hardin and Mrs.Ertsgaard and Mr. Carrillo and heard great things about Mrs. Paul, Mrs. Krochmal. Mrs. Carter and Mrs. Johnson. I feel the teachers are effectively teaching the students if I didn't my child wouldn't attend MVS.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My son is use to doing a lot more homework then he currently has. Not sure if the increased amount of homework was busy work or actually more beneficial. It wouldn't bother me if he had more homework. My first priority is my child's education not extra curricular activities. I understand juggling both can be tedious therefore I wouldn't encourage more homework I just wouldn't mind. Perhaps in the upper grades the homework takes longer to complete therefore my comments about homework only applies to the lower school.

Develops character: Agree

My son has been called on the carpet about open to others ideas. He's also needed to work on being fair with his peers. The culture of the school seems to promote honesty and integrity however that is something we reinforce at home and is a guiding principal in his life.

I love the cultural diversity of the school and I don't feel my child has too much homework. He said "Attending MVS feels like attending college in grade school", which he loves. He also likes the smaller group settings and the combination of self directed learning as well as direct teach(the teachers lectures and you sit listening) versus direct teach only. Although he had a few challenges in the beginning due to his transitioning i.e. more freedom and he needed to work on staying focused on the topic as well as learning how to work cooperatively with others. MVS has met if not exceed our expectations. I believe the skills he's mastering are essential both in and outside of the classroom and will greatly benefit him in the future. I look forward to him continuing to mature and learn new and exciting things about not only the traditional subjects in school i.e. reading, math, science etc. but also the non-traditional things i.e. sewing , Japanese folk tales, Mandarin, how to make clay animals and field trips for example, Spark concert. MVS is the ONLY school in the area with such a dynamic curriculum and opportunities to have a international education versus a Dayton, Ohio education. I'm educating my child in order for him to succeed not only locally but globally as well. If you are looking for a global education look no further MVS is the answer.

There is a constant feeling of pressure throughout all school activities for seemingly no reason, and a lot of propaganda is spread throughout by the school about how satisfied, intelligent and kind their students are. It is clearly far more focused on keeping an image than actually maintaining student satisfaction.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Many teachers have been leaving in recent years, leaving new, inexperienced ones in their places.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework can be an essential tool when it is used to keep the memories of material learned that day fresh. However, at this school it is often just bland busywork given for no particular reason other than to force the ¨grit and determination¨ so sweetly spoken about in their mission statement.

Last modified The Miami Valley School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12