PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As an alum of The Miami Valley School, I grew up feeling like it was my second home. Everyone there knew me and welcomed me to be who I was. The teachers take time to make sure each student is part of the class and understands what is going on. I received lots of wonderful opportunities - traveling to Europe and Alaska during the 4 week immersion period, playing sports, taking pottery classes, and participating in plays and musicals. I hope to send my kids there in the future.
November 11, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted February 25, 2016
5+ hours is ridiculous and the homework they give you is just busy work nothing else.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted February 25, 2016
Students are very mean to each other. Don't believe what MVS will tell you. They will say anything to get you to go.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted February 25, 2016
Cheating is very common. Teachers give grades based on how they feel about you, political beliefs and how much money you give to the school

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted February 15, 2016
I'd like to say "thanks" to Anne Dettmer and Susan Strong in the admissions office for having thorough admissions process and making you feel apart of the MVS family. I also wanted to "thank" them for the mentoring program in place for newly admitted families. I'd also like to "thank" Mrs.Hardin for her patience with my son during this transition and for her communication with parents via her blog or emails.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 15, 2016
Love Mrs. Hardin and Mrs.Ertsgaard and Mr. Carrillo and heard great things about Mrs. Paul, Mrs. Krochmal. Mrs. Carter and Mrs. Johnson. I feel the teachers are effectively teaching the students if I didn't my child wouldn't attend MVS.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted February 15, 2016
My son is use to doing a lot more homework then he currently has. Not sure if the increased amount of homework was busy work or actually more beneficial. It wouldn't bother me if he had more homework. My first priority is my child's education not extra curricular activities. I understand juggling both can be tedious therefore I wouldn't encourage more homework I just wouldn't mind. Perhaps in the upper grades the homework takes longer to complete therefore my comments about homework only applies to the lower school.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 15, 2016
My son set personal goals and did not meet them. He was very upset and his teacher said "Okay you didn't meet that goal, set a new one". The next week my son not only met but exceeded the his goal.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted February 15, 2016
My son has been called on the carpet about open to others ideas. He's also needed to work on being fair with his peers. The culture of the school seems to promote honesty and integrity however that is something we reinforce at home and is a guiding principal in his life.

The Miami Valley School 5

Posted February 15, 2016
I love the cultural diversity of the school and I don't feel my child has too much homework. He said "Attending MVS feels like attending college in grade school", which he loves. He also likes the smaller group settings and the combination of self directed learning as well as direct teach(the teachers lectures and you sit listening) versus direct teach only. Although he had a few challenges in the beginning due to his transitioning i.e. more freedom and he needed to work on staying focused on the topic as well as learning how to work cooperatively with others. MVS has met if not exceed our expectations. I believe the skills he's mastering are essential both in and outside of the classroom and will greatly benefit him in the future. I look forward to him continuing to mature and learn new and exciting things about not only the traditional subjects in school i.e. reading, math, science etc. but also the non-traditional things i.e. sewing , Japanese folk tales, Mandarin, how to make clay animals and field trips for example, Spark concert. MVS is the ONLY school in the area with such a dynamic curriculum and opportunities to have a international education versus a Dayton, Ohio education. I'm educating my child in order for him to succeed not only locally but globally as well. If you are looking for a global education look no further MVS is the answer.

The Miami Valley School 2

Posted January 21, 2016
There is a constant feeling of pressure throughout all school activities for seemingly no reason, and a lot of propaganda is spread throughout by the school about how satisfied, intelligent and kind their students are. It is clearly far more focused on keeping an image than actually maintaining student satisfaction.

5151 Denise Drive, Dayton, OH  45429
Last modified The Miami Valley School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12