Bad
Good

I am a DHS alumni and I have 2 children enrolled here. As a former student I was often overlooked by staff and students alike. In Defiance if your parents aren't rich or work at GM you are a nobody and not worth knowing! If you are looking for a diverse and accepted learning environment for your kids I would suggest moving out of the area b/c all of new Ohio is like this. My 2 students enrolled at DHS are both on IEP's and I agree with some of their ways but not all of them. Children on an IEP are discouraged from using extra help. They don't care if they succeed or fail. The school places a high emphasis on modern technology with i-pads for students and smart boards in classrooms. These things take more precedence in school budget than books. My daughter does not have a history book. On the plus side, when my daughter was being harassed by another student the principle took my concerns seriously and it stopped. I love the guidance counselors here. They are interested in their students and their academics. My only complaint is that they get a different guidance counselor every year which I feel takes away from personal attention.

On September 12, 2013 we stopped by the Van Wert, Ohio McDonalds. As we pulled in we noticed the Defiance school bus in the lot. Upon entering the building with our two grandchildren, we saw a large party of Defiance girls in line to order. At that point, one of the girls said why don't you go ahead of us and order. She said there was no point in us waiting till all of them got through the line. I ordered and while waiting on my order I . I also noticed that they were opening the door for people leaving and coming into McDonalds. They were very courteous well behaved .This speaks volumes for the girls but also reflects a positive impression toward the coach and the school.

We just recently moved here. We come from a previous school of high excellence, however, my freshman son is challenged here as well. They have a wonderful guidance counselor and staff.

Both of my children attend high school at Defiance. Athletics is a high priority at Defiance and in the community but I feel that in some academic areas - the Defiance School system is lacking. Not all the same standards are followed by all the teachers regarding AP classes and honor classes and therefore makes it difficult to evaluate. But many former students, have commented that when they went on to college they were not prepared. Given, this might just be the college experience, but these students were considered academic achievers. There are many good teachers at Defiance but student priority is not always first. I would love to see academics and athletics at the same level of priority.

Last modified Defiance High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.