Elyria, OH
Students enrolled: 1,723

Elyria High School 1

Posted March 04, 2014
I attended this school for one year and immediately transferred out. It is a culture of mediocrity. Examples: A guidance counselor told me to "take the easy A" when I told them my math class was too easy and wanted to advance, halfway through the school year they brought in an "emergency" sub teach us 10th grade history since the teacher retired early and only showed us videos everyday (I had mentioned this to the counselor, they ignored me).

Posted March 11, 2010
I honestly think that they need to treat their teachers better than what they do because they have so much potential and so much they can teach and share with our children who cares if it isn't an 'up to date' way of teaching in the principles book if the kids are learning and enjoying who cares??????

Elyria High School 5

Posted April 19, 2009
This school offers its students a great opportunity for their educational and their social growth. I am now a student at the University of Cincinnati. Coming from the diverse background of Elyria High I really feel that I meshed into college life a lot better. This school is the best in the area, no matter how large the classes are, the few bad students who go there give the whole place a bad reputation. The school provides double credit classes through the local community college and also provides a variety of AP classes as well. The extra curricular activities are also very successful. This including the marching bad, sports teams, and art program. The Student council program at this school is also unsurpassable and works with other schools throughout the state to provide the best environment for students.

Elyria High School 5

Posted January 14, 2009
I have gone to this school my entire high school career. I couldnt think of going any place else. If you join the many activities that are offered, you will have an amazing time.

Elyria High School 2

Posted November 22, 2008
My experience going to this high school is that it is split down the middle for education and involvment with students. If you are a motivated student in extra activities than it's a great school and the teachers love you. But if you are a student struggling and/or feels this split thinking well no one really cares, than it's a very bad environment. I feel I would have been better educated if anyone would have pushed me harder, but you can get away with a lot of things at that school. You either had your good kids in the AP classes or the kids who are average in with all the loud kids which made it a lot harder to learn.Plus the class sizes were too large.

Posted November 18, 2008
Elyria High School offers the more extra curricular activities than any in the city (and possibly the county), it offers the most AP courses in the area, has one of the strongest theater programs in the state (which has consistently won first place in many competitions within the state), has a HUGE choir program, an active student council, and a great honors community. It deserves much more than a 4/10. The fact that it's in a mixed-income community shouldn't drag its ratings through the mud. Recently it has sent it's graduating class to Brown University, and the University of Chicago, two of the best schools in the country.

Posted September 26, 2008
This is a pretty nice school. We do definitely need the new building (which should be finished by 2012), but there's lots of extracurricular activities and options. As long as you're motivated, you can go far in this school. AP and honors classes are available.

Elyria High School 0

Posted January 10, 2008
The condition of this school and the education it provides is deplorable. I was appalled. I will be moving out of the district to keep my children out of that environment.

Elyria High School 2

Posted December 04, 2007
Not an easy environment to be motivated to learn. If you want to be successfull at this school you better be motivated by yourself coming in.

Posted October 27, 2007

Elyria High School
311 6th St, Elyria, OH  44035
Last modified Elyria High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Elyria High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top