Gahanna West Middle School 3

Posted April 16, 2014
This school teaches to the tests. The teachers are young and very nice, but the teaching methods are garbage. My son is being forced to draw pictures in math when a simple formula is all that is needed. This pulls down his self esteem because his teacher will not let him use his brain. My other child was given an 'A' on a writing assignment because it was full of detail. The problem is it was full of misspellings and bad grammar. Not sure if that is acceptable in high school or college. More time is spent on preparing for tests then actual learning. There are not very many sports, no soccer, and all the schools share a baseball team. I do think the Orchestra teacher puts forth lots of effort in working with the kids. I hope that gets recognized.

Posted August 15, 2013
Amazing. Simply One Of the Best Schools My Kids Went To. They have a great community and great teachers and teaching quality. I simply love it!

Gahanna West Middle School 3

Posted April 26, 2012
With minimal interest in academic achievements beyond the state's minimum testing requirements, the school is steadily lowering expectations with regards to student's preparedness for a higher education or employment requirements in a globalized competitive job market. The school administration is always comparing staff s salaries to those of the neighboring districts. Unlike those districts, there is absolutely no vision and no support for academic after-school clubs or enrichment programs. There are no incentives to raise pupil s interest for participation in science or other academic disciplines. Student s participation in academic competitions is almost nonexistent. While some of the teachers may wish to bring improvements to the education process, any attempt to change seems to be blocked by an administration frozen in the past, unable and unwilling to adapt to an era of constantly evolving education needs.

Posted January 12, 2012
Great school, fabulous and dedicated staff, hard-working students! Couldn't imagine a better place for kids to grow and learn!

Posted December 25, 2011
I'm a parent of a student that attends GMSW and this school is not excellent it actually STINKS! The principal is not in control of the students, because the principal is not administering strict discipline. Some of the troubled students are repeating the same bad behaviors and they get a slap on the wrist and they return to school. The language of these students is unbelievable (cursing) and some of the attire is inappropriate for young ladies(they look like grown women with exposure of the breasts and the short skirts) this is a bad representation of the school. I'm not impressed with this school at all. This school is definitely "URBAN."

Posted October 26, 2011
I was very surprised by some of the reviews that have been posted to this website regarding GMSW. Being an individual who grew up in the Gahanna Schools system, I attended both GMSE & GMSS. GMSW has always been referred to as the "Ghetto" school of Gahanna. Having a daughter that has attended this school last school year (2010-2011) and is presently a 7th grader at the school this year (2011-2012) I have nothing but good things to say. Being a student that struggled throughout Elementary school, my daughter has not had any issues at all during her time at GMSW. Additionally, she has never witnessed any fights while in school. She not only recently played as a member of the Volleyball team, but is currently trying out for the Basketball team. In addition to these activities, she plays in the school band, is an honor student (won an award for being on honor roll all year last year), is in accelarated math, and is a part of the schools Art Club. I have had nothing but an excellent experience with the principal, teachers, and even other students at this school. It is obvious that GMSW should be considered a great school, and is one of the best in the GJPS system.

Gahanna West Middle School 4

Posted May 31, 2011
I was quite surprised to see the negative comments about GMSW on this site. I recently attended a program at GMSW that honored students for their display of excellence in academic achievement and various service clubs. The auditorium was standing room only which tells me there are great things being achieved at this school. I am a parent of a student attending GMSW. This was his first year in the Gahanna school district after attending 6 years in private school. My experience has been nothing but positive with the principal and teachers. My first parent/teacher conference was most impressive. The personal knowledge each teacher provided about my son proved to me they truly cared and are dedicated to their profession. The teachers have gone above and beyond to help my son adjust to his new surroundings and provide him work and opportunities to keep him challenged. GMSW has students from all walks of life and his exposure to diversity is a great life experience in itself. If parents teach their children to follow the rules at home and support the rules and disciplinary actions sometimes required at school, all of our children will get a better education.

Posted May 30, 2011
My kids attend this school but, we hate it we plan on moving next year. This scxhool is "GHETTO". My kids come home saying "there was a fight today" and thats like almost everyday. And kids also go around cursing teachers out. People might think the sports teams are phenominal and thats all the schools really think about i agree with the student below "This school is horrific it is very terrible some teachers try there hardest some dont i can name ten or more that dont try their hardest.Teachers can even come to school very angry. And here at GMSW if i was rating student 1-10 i would give the student a 2 seriously speaking.i would rate the Principal and staff members 1 if we were rating 1- 10.I believe teachers dont try their hardest at all. Students can be rude but teachers still need to try their hardest and not give up on us the students of GMSW." Sports dont help you in life the EDUCATION does so why not help the kids insted of messing around it doesnt help all the teachers want is the money. MY kids and i are getting out of this place for better education

Posted March 31, 2011
This school is the worst school I ever attended. There are always fights and cursing. In other words this school is the definition of "ghetto". Just b/c the sports team is amazing doesnt mean this school is great or all that. Last time I checked the academics help you in life more than the sports. Personally this is a "ghetto" school.

Posted March 14, 2010

Gahanna West Middle School
350 North Stygler Rd, Gahanna, OH  43230
Last modified Gahanna West Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gahanna West Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews.