Lincoln High School

Public | 9-12 | 2170 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 27, 2014

I just moved to central Ohio and started the end of 1st semester here at Gahanna Lincoln. I love this school, I really do. It is really diverse and the teachers actually teach you. Granted, there are some teachers that push you harder than others and who you may not see eye-to-eye with, but they are really helping you in the long run. The only problem I have run in to was that there are TOO MANY classes to choose from and I know that I won't be able to enjoy all of them by the time I graduate. I like that you can take some classes in the summer to get full credit and then be able to open up some space in your schedule. I feel very challenged at this school- which is a good thing. The classes you choose you can adapt to easily, as the teachers make it easy to "personalize" and the work you are given is given to you based on your ability. You are able to personally suceed in this school as teachers don't make all kids stay behind if just one is struggling. The arts program here is PHENOMINAL. I really enjoy the productions that the put on at the school and the music education (ex. choir) is EXCELLENT. I am in the choir at GLHS and our teacher, Mr. Lahman really knows what he is doing

Posted August 23, 2013

I would concur with the other raters that the special needs/education is lacking. There seems to be some level of comfort with allowing kids to fail. It should not be ok. The emails come for dress code violations, drop off info, levy,... but where is the concern when the kids are not succeeding in class? There are paid professionals at the school to assist but I have not found them helpful nor do they reach out to parents in those cases. Much frustration with the current many layers of administration!

Posted May 31, 2012

This school is not a nurturing environment for children. The staff is more concern about promotions and image. Becareful. Teachers do not grade papers correctly. The school abuses giving out dentitions versus helping and teaching children with everyday decisions while at school. No support system for the children only for the teachers. Classroom teachers show very little respect for children with special needs and do not take a lot of initiative to do more to hell them. Most, but not all, teachers push children thru without providing them a solid educational foundation. Becareful and speakup.

Posted April 19, 2010

I attended GLHS all four years of high school. It was amazing. The teachers are so dedicated to what they do. The curriculum is challenging and fantastic in preparing students for college. Take advantage of the honors and AP courses - they are definitely worth it. Extra curriculars are top of the line. Graduates go on to do great things.

Posted October 12, 2009

So far so good. Our daughter is a sophomore at Lincoln and we were very scared of the large school, and the high school experience as a whole. Mr. Carter made us feel comfortable with the transition. Our daughter is now in honors english, Advanced Math, and renassiance. She is also in band and plays bass drum. There are lots of activites and the students are like a family. I stay in touch with the teachers through email, and they are always receptive to parent/ teacher support. So far I have no complaints. I have a son who will be a freshman this year and I hope he does just as well. Rhasha Williams-Hoosier( Brittany, Ana, & Tre's mom)

Posted February 12, 2009

I went to GLHS all four years of high school and had a great experience! I graduated class of 2004 and am so grateful that I had the opportunity to go to a school that had so many wonderful things to offer! The teachers were great, the atmosphere was diverse, and the choices that we as students were given with everything from classes, to extra curriculars was outstanding. Go Lions!!!

Posted February 3, 2009

I went to Gahanna Jefferson schools from the 4th grade until the 10th grade. It was phenomenal. Not only did I get exceptional education, I was surrounded by people that had a good influence on me. Very rarely did I run across teachers who 'didn't care'. As a matter of fact, Mr. Glieco, who taught me US History, was a VERY hard teacher whom I thought didn't care. But he noticed my grade dropping and gave me a 'tough love' talk and I got myself back on track. No school is ever perfect, but when I transfered to a high school in West Georgia, I realized how I took for granted their MANY classes available, something I quickly realized when my new shcool offered electives as 'fun' as Spanish and Cosmetology. I think the new principal, Mr. Carter, will do great! And he's so handsome!

Posted November 7, 2008

I graduated from GLHS, both of my kids did also. One of my children is special needs and Gahanna schools did a fantastic job for her during grades K-12.

Posted May 7, 2008

I attended this school for 4 years and it is a large school with many oppurtunities for kids to pursue individual interests in sports, arts, and academics.

Posted April 30, 2007

I was in the Gahanna Jefferson school system for about 5 years. Recently I have moved to Florida and there isn't any comparison. The only thing that could be improved at this high school would have to be their dress code. It is a little strict. Besides that I love it there. I miss it and the quality of information and education I obtained.

Posted August 3, 2006

I strongly disagree with the negative reviews. I transferred to Gahanna schools in 4th grade and just recently graduated. Like any school, it is what the student and parents make of the environment, but unlike other schools, Gahanna has SO much to offer. I wasn't involved in sports, but the sports program is exceptional, competetive and classy. Students can choose from various clubs and countless honors and AP classes. The arts (music, vocal music, theatre) are the best in central Ohio. I owe so much to my theatre and music teachers who encouraged and challenged my peers and me. GLHS students thrive in all areas. Because of the diversity, exceptional academics, and my involvement I am now succeeding at a very prestigious university. I owe my success to the Gahanna Jefferson school district's faculty and my peers. I am proud to have graduated from GLHS.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 5, 2005

GLHS is a terrific school. We considered private school, but wanted our son to have contact with his friends and continue with the music program. We made the right choice. The teachers are fantastic, the course offerings diverse and challenging, and extracurricular opportunities are sizeable. The instrumental music program is one of the top 3 in the state, even though it is supported mostly through its own fundraising efforts. Amazingly, given that the high school has over 2,100 students, class sizes remain small. The staff does a lot to make the experience less intimidating for new students, and to help the kids find their best path. The staff does not spoon feed the kids, but help is always there. They point out the opportunities and make them available. It is up to the students to put forth the effort. For anyone looking for an academically sound and dynamic shool, this is it.

Posted August 24, 2004

This school is definately lacking in the Special Education department. Tutoring in reading and math are needed. Many students who are learning challenged seemed to be labeled as 'bad' and are removed from the main stream without adequate supportive services.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

483 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

481 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Ohio used the Ohio Graduation Test (OGT) to test students in grade 10 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. State averages displayed on public school profiles include public schools only. State averages displayed on private school profiles include private schools only. The OGT is a high school graduation requirement for public schools and chartered private schools. The OGT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Ohio. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

White95%
Economically disadvantaged87%
Disabled57%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Ohio Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

105 (2011)

103 (2010)

105 (2009)

103 (2008)

120

Ohio uses the Performance Index to provide an overall indication of how well students perform on its standardized tests each year. The Performance Index scores are based upon how well each student does on all tested subjects in grades 3 through 8 and 10. Schools and districts earn anywhere from 1.2 points for each student scoring at the advanced level to zero points for each untested student. The Performance Index ranges between 0 and 120, with 100 as the statewide goal for all students.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

No Value-Added data was reported for this school.

In 2010-2011, the Ohio Department of Education used the Value-Added Measure to show how much growth students made on the Ohio Achievement Test since the last school year. The state expects that student test scores will show an average year's worth of growth compared to test scores from the previous year. Ohio's Value-Added Measure is not the same as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), a federal measure which uses different criteria.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Ohio. Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores, ACT participation (% of 11th graders taking the ACT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Asian 3% 2%

Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%
Students with disabilities 14%N/A15%
Source: OH Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

140 South Hamilton Rd