Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This school is a disgrace. The students dont have any respect what so ever. I feel like they dont even know the definition of respect. I attend this school but after only being there for 5 months, I plan on going back to my old high school. There is fights every single day, even when the staff threatens to expel them (which they only really suspend them for at least 3 days). They fall one year or more behind on their academics. I have learned nothing new this year and its pretty sad. They say that this district is better than Columbus City but believe me, its not. I shouldn't be re-learning everything I did in 7th grade (I am a junior, so that was a while ago), or even a year ago. That is just sad! Also, the school being way over crowded is something they really need to deal with. I was walking in the hallway and I got shoved and dropped some of my notebooks. Instead of someone helping even when asking, they all just stepped on them and pushed me when I went to pick them up myself. I threw away 2 new notebooks because they were completely destroyed. I had to wait for the halls to clear, before I could even pick them up and was late. I cried that whole day because it was like the 3rd day and it was beyond overwhelming. When you first talk to the counselors they tell you how much you'd love the school and how diverse it is, but they are lying. You are not going to love it and its not that diverse. I mean you have students from all around and they are all different, but most people stay within their group. Its not a mix at all. I get up every morning dreading having to walk into the building and look at the same a-holes everyday. It is beyond terrible here.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I am pretty sure they never learned respect. Which might also be the parents fault.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

They say they will take care of issues but they honestly dont. Ever!

Westland receives a bad representation and a huge misinterpretation due to the area of Columbus it is located in and the diverse amount of students that attend. As a proud graduate, and alumni of this school, there are not enough great things for me to say about it. Westland has a very diverse culture, and I was so appreciative of it when I was in school. It exposed me to different ethnicities so when I went away to college, I didn't judge other people based off of how they were dressed or what language they were speaking, compared to some of my friends who had never been around that. You are surrounded by so many teachers who care, and want their students to succeed far beyond high school. You will get out of it what you put in, and it is all about who you decide to surround yourself with. My friends and I all took AP classes and participated in extra curricular activities that I believe shaped us into the people we are today. Some of my best memories came from this school, and we have had very successful people come from these hallways. So please, do not judge a book by its cover. (Or its ratings.)

Apparently the front desk is aloud to make snarky comments through the intercom as they're buzzing you in... Student : "Can U Let Me In???" Front Desk : "Can You Not Be Late???" Maybe I've not been properly informed but I thought your job was to push a button or sign a hall pass not make smarty remarks to my student who is actually trying...

Westland High School is a very diverse school. Some people might consider it to be a little rough. The teachers and councilors are amazing and truly care about their students. AP classes are taught by wonderful teachers and will really help prepare students for college reguardless if they get college credit for the course or not.

Parents, do MORE for your students at this school. I believe every parent can be more involved. I think for the most part the teachers my daughter has had have been no less than excellent. All that I have met with have been open, honest, engaged and knowledgeable about their subject. For the parents who have attended conferences/open houses, have any of you glanced down at a teacher's schedule for that conference? DISMAL attendance by parents. A joke, really. If you want to know more about your child's education, get off your duff and become part of it! For administrators, technology is the future. Teachers should not have the choice of whether or not to have a Schoology page or teacher website, it should be mandatory. And the Westland website? DISMAL again compared to just the other high schools in our district. The other websites are packed with pertinent information; Westland's has tumbleweeds moving through it. The school really is and will be what WE ALL make of it. Show your pride, Cougars!

Most teachers are willing to help students after school if they need it. I only wish the school as a whole could be more one on one with students. Not all children learn the same.

Westland is a good school and a bit better than Columbus City schools. Always able to talk to all teachers and staff. Many students are from apartments and constantly moving around. Sports are below adverage and no parent support. No more trouble that any other school. It is what you want to make of your school and life. If you look for trouble anywhere you can find it and if you look to better yourself it can also be found here.

This School is very great,i went there adn the teachers are very helpful,the rules are good and the programs that they have are awsome.I have learned alot from this school. inmcluding from the kids there nice and i can get along with them. i would reccommend this school anyday.

Last modified Westland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.