Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 23, 2015
Welsh Hills' holistic, family environment allows children to thrive. Our children have been at Welsh Hills for over four years, and we feel it is the best decision we have made regarding their education. The hands-on learning curriculum, as well as the diversity of subjects, goes beyond the traditional classroom setting and engages the children like nothing else I have seen. They are taught to reason and investigate; and are capable of articulating their thoughts at a higher level and more coherently than other children their age. My children are no longer bored in school as the lessons progress with their ability and not with a set timetable. The teachers are wonderful, and Michelle Lerner is an excellent head of school. I have never seen a school where the children are sad when summer vacation begins; thank goodness they have summer camps!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 28, 2015
The students are taught independence and to think for themselves. They learn how to express their feelings and talk instead of fight. They learn to respect each other and their boundries.

Posted May 28, 2015
This is the best school on Licking County. We didn't want our child forced into testing machine that is public school. We wanted her to have the best education possible and we believe that is happening at WHS. She has been here 3 years and would never have believed she would thrive like she does in any other school. The class size works great because the kids get the one on one time they need for a conducive learning environment. The younger children are socialized and integrated with the older classes so all of them know everyone in the school. It's not just a school it's a family and we are so proud to be part of that family.

Posted April 22, 2014
Our three children have had an outstanding year (2013-14) at the Welsh Hills School. It is wonderful to see how this school has overcome past challenges, and has flourished under the leadership of Michelle Lerner. We are excited about the new (lower) tuition rates and expanded hours - it means so much to our family to have WHS as both a school and child care resource.

Posted February 04, 2013
We ve had our children at WHS for over six years, and we are very pleased with the quality of education that they are receiving. The class sizes are small, which allows very individualized attention. This is key, because the school s philosophy is to provide a child-centered education, where a student that is excelling in one area but lacking in another can be readily accommodated. The children collaborate with the teacher to learn, they re not taught at. There is a strong emphasis on self-learning, where the student is encouraged and enabled to learn and self-discover outside of the school. They have unique, experiential programs each year like Nature s Classroom, where they spend several days at a nature preserve immersed in the natural sciences. There is a strong culture of respecting others student-to-student and student-to-teacher. We have noticed this positive behavior in our children, which is especially apparent when they are with children from other schools. We are fortunate to have several great schools available for the education of our children, public and private, but the best choice for us is Welsh Hills School, without question.

Posted January 31, 2013
From the moment you walk into the farmhouse style building you get the feeling that this school is unlike any other. There is no smell of feet or Clorox and no teacher with a whistle. Instead you enter the foyer, greeted by the sounds of the grandfather clock and classical music.The headmaster is often found shoveling the walk while greeting parents and students. The aroma of fresh coffee and muffins leads you to the farmhouse kitchen where the early arrivals have breakfast and welcome parents to fill their thermos. This sense of community is carried over to the classroom where children work among others of varying ages and abilities. Students are shown and taught mutual respect and collaboration are keys to success. The classes are small and have allowed a tremendous amount of personalized learning for our son. He is excited to excel and move ahead in his classes. His learning program is based on his needs, not the majority of the class. Every student has their own learning plan so he is always challenged now and truly loves his Welsh Hills experience. I encourage any parent who is questioning the quality and sustenance of their child s current education to come experience WHS.

Welsh Hills School 1

Posted December 28, 2012
We had children in this school for a number of years. In 2010, the school hired a dynamic, energetic Head that brought vision to a school that needed it. When he decided to leave(can't say I blame him) the school has reverted to its old days. Disengaged Board and Head of School, a teaching staff that is hardly qualified and an overpopulated special needs student contingency. When paying over 14k a year, I would expect teachers that have perfected their craft, as well as a student body that has undergone a thorough admissions process. Save your money and send your kids to the local public school or make the drive to CSG OR ACADEMY!

Posted March 12, 2010
My daughter is in the Intermediate class - of 4 children. She is a visual learner, and so is her teacher - also the art teacher. The school has worked with us to help my daughter catch up and stay current with school work after a hospitalization. I cannot imagine any public school helping as much as Welsh Hills has.

Posted March 07, 2010
I have two children attending this school, and I have been completely impressed with the education that they receive. While the academics are excellent, this school provides much more to the child, namely self-confidence and character building. You can see these qualities in every child as you observe what happens in the classrooms and at school functions. I recently toured the much-acclaimed Granville Elementary School to help decide whether that was a better choice for my children. I was amazed at the chaos, large classes, and constant talk by administrators of how my children s progress would be assessed by testing. At Welsh Hills School, my children s progress is assessed by the top-notch educators that work one-on-one with them every day, not only a test score.

Posted September 23, 2007
I have a student in the Welsh Hills Middle School and have been a parent at Welsh Hills for several years now. This school provides an excellent learning environment that helps children develop skills well beyond just memorization of facts. Strong faculty members and small class sizes combine to provide outstanding education that reaches each child in the most effective way. I also like the 'service learning' programs, helping kids get involved in community service programs beyond just their school learning. I'd enourage prospective families to check this school out first hadn and stop in to visit the Head of School.

2610 Newark Granville Rd, Granville, OH  43023