Middletown, OH

Posted June 15, 2014
Central staff goes above and beyond to ensure the academic and social growth of their students, working endlessly to meet the wide range of individual needs. They engage the students in learning, always looking to make the work relevant and meaningful. I would recommend this school to any parent of any race or socioeconomic status, as Central truly is about student-centered learning and the growth of ALL students!

Posted October 28, 2012
All good things, it seems, must come to an end. And so it has been with Central Academy. The school was truly a unique learning experience before the last year or two, but it is rapidly morphing itself into an institution that "picks the winners" by blanketing all students with the same instruction and same homework, with an eye towards pushing out students who don't fit the narrative the school is aiming to create. The school is more about burnishing a story it created around itself than it is about trying to encourage individual thinking, which it once did spectacularly. Every year, you'll hear about people camping out overnight to get their children a slot in the middle school. As a disapppointed parent who has seen the decline, I would advise those parents to look into other alternatives. It is my intent to withdraw my children from the school as they approach middle school age. It's sti;ll a pretty good place up to that level, but once there, it's all about shiny happy faces for the cameras.

Central Academy Nongraded Elementary School 2

Posted July 08, 2010
Back in the day, this school was 'the' school. Now, not so much. Dr. Suiter couldn't lead her way out of a wet paper bag. They have combined grades k and 1st, 2nd and 3rd, etc. So basically every other year your child is repeating a grade. There is no such thing as competition in this school. There is no parent involvement. They can't even get volunteers for the PTO. No one will help with anything. Also, be warned they only cater to underpriveledged kids, if you're not on assistance, drive your kid somewhere else. Unfortunately, I have sent my child here for two years, BUT we will be leaving. As far as education in this town goes....you get what you pay for. This is one BROKE school. They do nothing extra. Art class is drawing on cheap paper that is it! If your looking for the best...this is not it.

Posted September 15, 2009
The mannerism of the teaching methods, for the faculty, staff, students and curriculum, of this school rate 5 stars all the way; which is a brag from a grandmother of a student that attends there.

Posted November 03, 2008
This school is wonderful! I cannot rave about the teachers hard work and dedication to their students success enough. Every surrounding school district needs to learn a lesson about learning and teaching from Central!

Posted August 12, 2008
I have 3 children that attended and attend here! They are verry pleased! I am also pleased by their performance!

Posted February 25, 2008
Central is a great school. I am very pleased with the untraditional approach taught here.

Posted June 15, 2007
I've had 3 children attend this school. My oldest child was in the first kindergarten class when this school opened in 1991 and stayed through the sixth grade. My youngest child is now attending. Over the years I have experienced both good and bad. Initially, the school and staff were welcoming, open, and friendly. The structure of class grouping is wonderful for the development of confidence and reinforcement of learning. What has occurred over the years that troubles me is that so much of everything is now focused on standardized testing and not on the needs of the individual child. Many of the things my older children enjoyed have now been eliminated. (Sixth grade Luau, all students recognized at the year end ceremony with Kindergarten 'graduation') Maybe its that way everywhere now but up until the last two years, I had never considered sending my children to their 'home' school.

Central Academy Nongraded Elementary School 4

Posted February 27, 2007
Central is a wonderful alternative to traditional perocial and private schools. This is our second year here(following two years at a local private)and my son has done nothing but flourish. The quarterly reports a far more thourough than a traditional report card. This school is desighned for parent involvement.that being said, you must follow the reading requirement, reinforce the units being taught, and ask questions about the progress reports.(ie 'Why did you get a 2 today? and 'What needs to change so you bring home a 1?') My only wish for this school would be to add foreighn language.However Middletown city school district needs to make this manditory curriculm.

Posted February 23, 2007
My child dose not like this school, (central academy) and neither do I! This school has kids see the 20 children everyday, because from 8:00 AM-10:40 AM they see themselves. The for 15 min, thats all they see 20 other students. Then for the rest of the day they see the same kids they have seen all year long. Then when Winter comes, the children do not have recess so they dont get to see that other set of 20 kids that they usually do. So all day they are cooped up in one classroom, with the same kids of 2 different grades. 1st&2nd, 3rd&4th, and 5th&6th and since they dont have grades I really dont know what my childs really capable of. He gets 1's, 2's, or 3's! WOW! That really tells me something!

4601 Sophie Ave, Middletown, OH  45042
Last modified Central Academy Nongraded Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Central Academy Nongraded Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top