K-12|Private

Bad
Good

My children are in their 5th year at Lake Ridge Academy and *still* thank me at least once a month for sending them here. In addition to the benefits that they are experiencing academically, I see that they are becoming better human beings as well - more empathetic towards others, less fearful of change and diversity, and more dedicated to their work and even extracurricular activities. Their friends, teachers and other parents are all pulling for them to do well, and that nurturing environment challenges them to do their best and to help others succeed. This is such a great school. I wish all three of my children had started here in kindergarten.

My son started Kindergarten this year at Lake Ridge Academy. Our experience has been phenomenal and very different from what my friends with kids in public school kindergarten are experiencing, especially with the recent changes in state expectations at the K level. Kindergarten at Lake Ridge is all about learning through play--which is how children learn best at this age. There is no pressure of testing, reading or writing at a certain time--it is proven all kids learn this at their own rate. We sit down each night to read books because he wants to show me what he has learned-not because its an assignment to get frustrated about. Teachers still have freedom to create appropriate curriculum -not follow state mandates, which are more about teaching to a test then to the child. Best of all, the social aspect of learning is still alive here--time is spent on how to have manners and treat each other respectfully which is so important at this influential age to set them on the right course of being a good person. They get to move around the classroom, go outdoors often, and learn from what they see outside--not sit and do worksheets all day long. Foreign language (french and spanish) have already begun - he is already teaching us words in Spanish we never learned during our education. He loves his senior buddies too--a fun program that matches senior high schoolers with a kindergarten to do projects with over the school year. He really looks up to them and often talks about "when he is in high school". I feel my child has had a great introduction to school--he loves to go every day (and even asked over holiday break when he could go back!) and is excited to learn. Its amazing what the school does to keep that natural excitement about learning alive in these young children.

Horrible environment to work in. Administrators are non-supportive of faculty and staff. The school attempts to displays a warm and caring environment that does not exist. Teachers in the lower and middle schools are mediocre at best. Claims to be on the forefront of technology which is far from the truth. The school is always attempting to draw a market of families based on new programs initiated that all disintegrate within a short period of time. Save your money and talents.

Lake Ridge Academy is an exceptional school. They have very high standards and a helpful and caring staff. My sixth grader enjoys the friendly environment, from her friends to her teachers. I recommend to anyone who prefers small classes and one-on-one help.

I have two kids at LRA. One who started in kindergarten and one transferred into 5th. They love it! My daughter, now in 2nd grade is reading at a 5th grade level,and loves to learn. My fifth grader has made a smooth transition, and has caught up to the LRA level rather quickly thanks to the support of his wonderful teachers. The math and science curriculum is outstanding. The staff is amazing. It has been an all around wonderful experience. Our goal is to get our kids into a top 10 school and LRA is the way to do it.

My daughter transferred to LRA in sixth grade from another private school and I could not be happier with my choice, She is now happy in school, has made nice friends and cares about her grades. LRA is a very nuturing enviromnment were learning and achieving are encouraged and praised. The teachers are always available and take a real interest in their students. When asked who her best teacher is? She does not name one, but many and eagerly tells me what each one has done and why.

not the best choice they portray the school as a very good environment during the tour but once you are inside it its no different than a regular public school there are a few people who distribute certain things and there are your grades that are all basically users. this is all in the high school that this activity takes place. the school is racist and mostly opinions not factual things. they try to trick you. lower school is fun and good once you get into middle school you start to see sides come out. and once you get into high school it is down hill there are the groups like a regular high school but it is so divided it is not a community like they say. everything is deceptive from the outside but once you enter the real environment it is not very good. just think about these things before you decide to send your child to this school.

My child is currently in kindergarten at LRA and though the school puts on a great open house and has great facilities, my husband and I have been very disappointed with the academics. His main teachers have been absent at least 10% of the time and the school meets at least 2 weeks less than public schools. The $2000 supply fee goes for what? perhaps printing drawings in technology class and a few projects, such as a pinch pot he brought home from art class. He has watched on average at least one video a week. When I asked the head of school why he watched Frosty the Snowman in Music class when his teacher was absent, she responded that the substitute was not musically trained. His technology class has constituted using one drawing program for the year which involves drawing and color or watching more videos. There are some great aspects to LRA, including small classes and exposure to a foreign language, and I'm sure the school improves in later years. In fact other parents tell me that it gets more academic next year; I just can't take that chance. My husband saw a parent and child taking a tour today and wanted to tell them what it is really like, hence this review.

My daughter attended this school. Not only did she love to learn, she cried during vacations because school wasn't in session. The teachers are so supportive and really know their business. When my daughter went to college - she was beyond ready to face the challenges. She thrived. Thank you Lake Ridge Academy!

My kid is a high school kid and sending my kid to this school was the worse mistake I have ever made. The Dean of the high school is the worse teacher of them all where she uses her PHD to substantiate her lack of teaching abilities and she doesn't go over and beyond to assist struggling students like the remaining of the staff. I believe the teachers could be more diverse and for the amount of money it costs, I would send my kid elsewhere it's definitely not worth it.

Last modified Lake Ridge Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12