Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Violet Elementary School 1

Posted September 17, 2015
We've lived in four different states and been at 4 different elementary schools so I feel like we have a pretty good idea of what makes a great school. This is not it. The principal is terrible - this school strives for mediocrity. Kids are not allowed to excel or do anything above and beyond what is outlined in the curriculum. That's great if you have an at or below average kid, but if your child is above average academically, you will be very displeased. I've never been at a school where all the teachers we've had over the years care so little about education. They do exactly what is required, nothing more. Forget about a parent meeting - they have been versed on what to say when you ask why they aren't challenging the kids. They'll tell you that students should not have homework because it takes away from "precious family time". They'll tell you that although your 3rd grader is reading at (and tested at) a 10th grade reading level, they are required to only read books that are assigned a 3rd grade level per the AR standards. When you ask why they can't form groups to challenge the kids who are exceeding expectations, they'll tell you that their curriculum is very rigid and difficult and extra work is not needed. Without a doubt, this is the worst school we've had the displeasure of having to endure. It is immeasurably worse. For the first year and a half in this district our kids didn't learn a single thing - their curriculum is that far behind. It's mind-blowing. Our kids excelled at all their schools and were properly challenged at all - except this one. The other aspect of this school that we are very disappointed in is the no-fun policy they seem to have in place. There are no class parties of any kind (field day at the end of the year does not count in my opinion). They have absolutely no field trips. Kindergarteners are not allowed to run at recess! The kids are not allowed to play with balls at recess despite the fact that there are basketball hoops on the playground. Their response to the "no running and no balls policies" was that the kids could get hurt. Have you ever heard such ridiculousness? If you value education, and want your child to enjoy school, you'll do well to stay away from here.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted September 17, 2015
They strive for mediocrity here and if your student requests to be challenged, they will be turned down. How does that develop persistence?

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted September 17, 2015
There is no homework. Every child would benefit from practicing math facts and reading at home. When I asked why they never got homework, I was told it was because the kids understood the lessons and they didn't feel it was necessary to have them doing the same thing at home that they did in school. Really? Whatever happened to practice makes perfect? They expect kids to see something once and master it with no practicing at all. Even when I challenged that idea by saying that it wasn't possible that all the kids understood everything, I was told that homework eats into very valuable family time so they weren't giving it out.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted September 11, 2015
I have never met a bunch of teachers who cared so little about student success! Don't expect any comments on your childrens work - or even notes on their report cards (in the teacher comments section). You'll get none of that. Don't expect them to do anything above and beyond to make the school year better/more challenging for your child. Won't happen. The children are shuttled along like cattle, everyone doing the same thing and having the same goals.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted September 11, 2015
Fairness - nothing in life is fair. Why are we trying so hard to make everything "fair" for the children? It's a lesson in life they need to become accustomed to, and the sooner the better. We go out of our way to make sure there are no hurt feelings from losing in sports to performing poorly in school. This can be seen in this district by their incredibly inane grading system. We cater to the below-average student and the underachiever. I get it that not all kids are born smart, but that's not a reason to hold back the smarter or highly driven kids.

Posted February 21, 2014
This school is wonderful. The teachers are all phenomenal and so caring for my kids. I am so appreciative of the teachers and staff at this school and what they have done for my children!

Posted November 03, 2010
Great administrators and staff, teachers are wonderful and caring about our kids!

Posted August 02, 2009
I love this school! I love the entire staff. There are so many children that move through that school, year after year, and yet the staff still knows the names of all the kids. This school is definitely a safe environment for me to leave my children in. My children love this school and have always loved each of their teachers. Awesome School!!!

Posted July 18, 2008
This school has an excellent staff and true love for children. I am so pleased with what they have done for my children. They rate outstanding from me.

Posted February 27, 2008
I love the school my children is in 4th and 3nd and my 4th grader does not want to leave this school is so great

8855 Education Dr, Pickerington, OH  43147
Last modified Violet Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.