K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

There is nowhere else I would consider educating boys in the Cleveland area! US understands boys and teaches the way boys are going to learn.

Develops character: Agree

My son is entering his second year at US and we've had a wonderful experiece overall. His kindergarten teacher was incredible. Perfect balance of warmth, humor and discipline.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The best! From the low student to teacher ratio to the general caring nature of the teachers. They take the time to know each and every boy. The teachers are far and away what makes US stand out from every other school I've known

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is age appropriate in my opinion. There is a gradual increase in the amount as the boys get older

Develops character: Strongly agree

Responsibility, Loyalty and Consideration is the US motto and the boys are taught at a very young age to model this behavior

My sons have attended US since Kindergarten and I am not a legacy. Our family couldn't be happier! The faculty and staff are caring and responsive to any concerns we've ever had (of which there have been very few). Each one of my boys has had a phenomenal experience thanks to the excellent teaching and mentoring that takes place inside and outside of the classroom. We are very proud to be a part of this community!

US is over rated. The academics are okay, but everything else leaves a lot to be desired. The playground is unsafe: it is understaffed, teachers stand together and talk, and bulling happens. Some incidents were horrific. The administration - particularly the head of the lower school - who insists there is no bullying at US stonewalls non legacy parents who ask for help. I have been waiting over 75 days for a meeting. My son is moving to a new school in the fall. I also experienced the stonewalling last summer before the school year started when I had an important matter to discuss with the teacher or principal: stonewalled. Even worse, most parents are afraid to challenge the administrators for fear of retaliation. Unless you are a legacy family, you will be treated like second class citizens at best here. If you are a minority, you may experience discrimination in my experience. Absolutely not worth the headache or heartache nevermind the tuition.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I think this is a mixed bag at US which is not unusual as it is most places. I was recently surprised to learn that one new lower grade teacher who was new this past year may have been hired more based on a friendship with an administrator than on qualifications which sound shaky now that a group of mothers have brought them to my attention. I do suspect that they may hire talented new teachers and not give them opportunities to grow. My suspicion is the good ones get frustrated and leave.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think for the lower grades the amount of homework is appropriate as are the summer assignments.

Develops character: Disagree

Two classes: legacy and other. When legacy students get special privileges or are not punished for things like beating up classmates, a school is not building integrity or honesty. It is fostering a culture in a group of boys who will go out into the world thinking the rules do not apply to them. That usually results in poor outcomes.

Last modified University School Shaker Campus is a Private school that serves grades K-8