PK-12 & Ungraded
Shaker Heights, OH

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 27, 2015
The classes are purposely small, so that teachers can help each and every girl at Laurel School. Teachers ask students how they are doing even by email.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 27, 2015
I only wrote just write because someday there's none, some days there is a LOT and sometimes there may be homework in just 3 or 4 subjects.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted June 27, 2015
I only put neutral because the faculty does not make the girls do what they say, the girls speak freely and with an open mind.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 27, 2015
This school respects all students and SHOWS it. They have all students get ice cream come on special days. I love Laurel because it will bring you up when you are feeling down.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 27, 2015
I feel like Laurel is a great school. They do a weekly update on every student. This school develops compassion by working with them to Dream. Dare. Do. They develop empathy, especially in the 6th grade morning shows.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 27, 2015
This school develops these kinds of things because of their honor code. They make sure you will always keep it here. I go to Laurel and I feel like HB girls always underestimate what kind of school Laurel is like. I am in Middle School at Laurel and if someone is moody one day everyone gets over a problem the next. Laurel IS up to date. They always figure out ways to overcome a situation. Computer Problem? Go to the IR (computer experts) department and they will fix it right away. Feelings Hurt? Talk to any teacher and they will help you figure out whatever situation you are in. Even though Laurel's grade system is more laid-back, it can be a good thing. Grades don't start until 7th grade because, I mean, why preasure young kids? I switched to Laurel from another school and I am glad I switched. At my old school we were always pressured, had bad friend relationships, didn't interact as much with the teachers, and didn't include the new girls. At Laurel none of this happens in my grade and I am glad for it. Small classes mean teachers can help everybody. I love Laurel and I will always Be a Laurel Girl. In school, out of school, and on the internet. Dream. Dare. Do.

Laurel School 2

Posted June 11, 2015
I looked at all the schools from around the area, and laurel is just ehhh not bad per say just not good either. There academics are good just not great compared to schools like Hawken or HB. they really seem to hover over the kids and baby them which is good for some people. The extracurriculars you would think would be better for the amount you pay for it. I was not pleased by the environment when I visited. I am not trying to compare to HB (one of the rivals), as the two schools are very similar. HB had just better everything than laurel academics, arts, athletics, and more. I also dislike all the drama with laurel, many parents judge HB and tell rumors about it which just makes me dislike the school even more. I have many friends that went to laurel and were successful so I am not saying its not a bad school and compared to others its good just in Cleveland we already have an amazing all girl prep school.

Posted April 06, 2015
We have two girls at Laurel - one in primary and one in pre-primary. We couldn't be happier. The environment is very nurturing, the curriculum challenging and the overall culture is extremely positive. The facilities are top notch and the Butler campus is amazing and unique. All of the students love their LAB (Laurel at Butler) days - gets them out of the classroom to learn and work as class together. Highly recommend the school!

Posted March 26, 2015
Laurel has a phenomenal Preprimary program. I have been blown away by the quality and commitment of staff and teachers. I highly recommend it. They go above and beyond. I only wish the school was coed after Preprimary.

Posted March 10, 2015
I love Laurel!! My parents were never thinking about sending me to HB because of their lack of empowering girls. Laurel has great lunch food compared to most schools (private and public) Laurel enforces no bullying and when there is a situation like this the advisors (homeroom teachers) talk to the girls. There are advisors in 5th through 12th grade to talk and make sure everyone is ok. The middle school and upper school lockers were just put in. The top floor of the upper school part was just transformed into art rooms for students and upper school study areas and lockers. The classes here are very small, so that a teacher can help every student. There is about 10-15 students in every class. (Because there are no boys) Where in other schools they have like 30 students per class. I would definitely recommend Laurel over HB.

1 Lyman Circle, Shaker Heights, OH  44122