Shaker Heights, OH

Posted June 11, 2015
At Hathaway Brown School for Girls, the education you receive goes beyond the classroom. I have no idea why there are so many negative reviews, but coming from myself a dedicated HB student I would never want to go anywhere else. HB does assign more homework than other schools in the area, but this is just preparing your child more for college and future. The academics push you in a way to enhance you own self. There might be a few snobby girls, but they are insignificant, and everyone at HB cares for the community and do service projects to help the less fortunate. HB as an institute offers one of the best academic programs that is fit to your daughters needs. The extracurricular activities don't take precedence over academics, but are there to offer balance and opportunities for everyone. For Example the sports at HB have won many state title and have proven for everyone to give spirit and pride to be a blazer. The arts program at hb is vast, including but limited to dance, photo, acting, singing, and so much more. The HB singers traveled to New York this past year and met many broadway performers and performed in New York City for an audience. One of the unique methods HB follows are different centers to make up the education. There are Core centers that are math, englsih, science, history and language etc.. then around are different centers like global scholars that if involved will teach your child about the world around you and take an international trip (so many are offered). To sum up everything I have said, if you want your daughter to get education that will provide a jumpstart to her future in a positive and rewarding way then send your daughter to HB. I am sure that if the fit is right (which for almost anyone there is a place for everyone), then you will be grateful.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 11, 2015
HB has some of the best teachers ever, they truly love HB and tell us the students all the time that teaching is fun with us there because we have the edge that we want to learn and CARE what we are learning about in ways other schools just don't.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 11, 2015
Lots of homework yes, but it will help you learn to better handle time management,. Also if you are struggling and have a huge test coming up teachers will empathize (usually) to give you an extension. In college there is lots of homework and HB is making the transition easier.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 11, 2015
If you go to HB you have to be determined and have the desire to succeed, and HB will show you how to get there on your own. HB is hard, and sometimes you might fail a test, but you have recourse to get the help to get right back up.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 11, 2015
Teachers get to know each student and provides the students with the understanding that they are always there to help. I have grown as a person by going to HB and value the community that provided comfort and care to me through hard times in my life.

Hathaway Brown School 1

Posted March 10, 2015
I think that HB could use a bit of work. 1st of all most of the students are not very nice to girls who also say "I am also thinking about going to Laurel" (Laurel is one of HB's rivals) Also, the academics are very hard and pushy about always getting good grades. The food here is not very good and could use improvement. HB is focused too much on sports and academics and does not focus on teaching girls how to think or be themselves.
2 people found this helpful

Hathaway Brown School 1

Posted February 24, 2015
For years I was excluded and bullied by my classmates. They always looked down on me and I never knew why. The school is full of cliques and if you don't conform to their standard of acceptance, forget about finding a friend there. The staff over reacts and seem to be against freedom of speech. If your ambition doesn't involve helping others and/or promoting equality it is considered worthless (you want to be an entertainer? Forget it. A model? Nope. An artist? Sure, if it involves painting scenes of peace and gender/racial equality). Ironically, if you aren't white and straight, chances are, you will be bullied (and harshly, I might add). Even as a straight white person I had to deal with bullying and depression. I finally got to switch schools after six years of attendance and you couldn't pay me enough to go back.

Posted August 28, 2014
I'd like to ease your worries as you look down the page and see the sad one star review. I m currently a senior at Hathaway Brown and I love HB. So, let's get down to the nitty gritty, the cliques, the teachers, etc. HB is one of the most diverse schools in Ohio. Girls are from all different backgrounds. We have Black Culture Awareness to Spanish Club and many more. My very own friend group is composed of 4 different races. Yes, HB assigns a lot of homework, but the girls trained at HB are going to be articulate and much more ready for the world than most people I know. Okay, HB teachers are hard. But they are awesome, funny, understanding people. HB is well staffed and I ve NEVER been disappointed. Finally, Parents and their "snobby children". Wrong. Wrong. WRONG. Yeah, maybe you're not gonna be BFFS with all of your kid's friend's parents, but generally the parents are very accepting and nice. And yes, HB is a school wth money. The parents have money; the kids have money. But NEVER have I been made fun of, or pitied because I had less money. Bullying doesn't happen at HB. It's in our nature as HB girls to treat everyone with respect and love one another. Thanks.

Hathaway Brown School 4

Posted August 09, 2013
If you're looking for a top notch education for your daughter, I strongly recommend HB. Does the school have cliques, snobby students and parents? It sure does. However, if you are secure in who you are and academically focused, the cliques and snobs are really insignificant.

Posted April 20, 2013
This school is amazing and is truly impactful. Even though the transition from any other school to HB will be tough, it allows girls to grow. If the student if truly willing to immerse herself into the world of HB and have fun, it will be life changing. There is truly no other school like it. You get countless opportunities, championship winning sports, great connections, amazing teachers with strong relationships, and girls who succeed and attend the best universities in the world. Simply looking around, you will know that this school is completely different from any other. You are truly lucky if you get to attend this school and are blessed. I can't even explain how excellent the school is and all the good things that come along with this opportunity.

19600 North Park Boulevard, Shaker Heights, OH  44122
Last modified Hathaway Brown School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Hathaway Brown School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top