Shawnee High School 3

Posted September 17, 2013
I have not been impressed with Shawnee. It isn't terrible but it isn't great either. Hiring teachers that went to school here is ok but are they good teachers? Some I have found are not. Starting a new year and once again we have a buddy system going on and there is no gauging for quality, just that alma mater relationship that qualifies one to teach here. With all the graduates looking for jobs the good teachers could be passed up for the familiar former student. Very sad.

Shawnee High School 1

Posted April 08, 2011
Shawnee is a school full of favoritism. If your parents aren't connected to the school in some way then you might as well forget having a good experience. A lot of the teachers are more immature than the students. I personally watched a teacher laugh as an autistic girl was bullied by her favorite student. The classes are a joke. You learn pretty much nothing, but when they give you a test, you're expected to know everything. The school is falling apart and leaks so bad they have to close down one of the stairways every so often. The school's attendance has jumped in the past years, but there has been no more room made to accommodate these students. A poor school, quality and money wise.

Posted January 12, 2009
Had four children matriculate at Clark Shawnee High School--all got into to extremely good colleges and have all done additional education. EXCELLENT teachers and staff.

Posted December 09, 2008
My son goes to Shawnee and loves it. Hes in no 'click' and has lots of freinds. Plays football,loves coaches,and they make him work hard.And thats needed.teachers make learning seem easier then the possum teachers did for him, resulting in much better grades. Ive got no complaints.Becasue my child doesnt.Not many like school to start with.

Shawnee High School 3

Posted October 22, 2008
I am a graduate of Shawnee and made sure I bought in the district so my 5 children could go to Possum and Shawnee as I did. I feel that Shawnee dwells way to much on the dress code than they do education. They are overly concerned if the boys are cleaned shaved and prey on them daily, walking up to them from across the hall to feel their chin to see if they can send them to shave. I feel the sports is very political and my children who played there as freshmen chose to never play again. Those same 2 children begged me to send them to another school because of their bad experiences there. I currently have a freshman and senior at this school. I am sure all schools have issues but I only know this one from my lifetime of experience.

Shawnee High School 2

Posted August 22, 2008
My children graduated from Shawnee and I rate it as average or just below. Both kids were disappointed with the lack of concern or had regarding AP classes or college issues and the counselors were hardly easily accessible. Neither felt there was a true sense of understanding from administration or faculty except on rare occasions. The Chemistry taught at Shawnee is not sufficient preparation for college Chemistry. Shawnee needs new administrators who will see better how to budget and make the best of the income they receive without trying to pull the wool over the community's eyes.

Shawnee High School 0

Posted March 06, 2008
I am a recent Shawnee High School alumni and am now in college (with a 4.0 GPA). My academic success is attributed to the faculty/staff at Shawnee. They not only prepared me for college, but have provided me opportunities beyond academic achievement. They have been undergoing some difficulty regarding funding because they are lacking support from the community. I am hoping that the community realizes just how much of an asset this educational institution is, and will begin to give it more of their support. Yes, I hate taxes as much as the next person, but can we not make a few sacrifices (ex. eating out) to support education? Opportunities such as advanced placement, clubs, and art/music/PE are essential in a child's educational development. Those upper-level classes and extracurriculars have availed to me more opportunities to receive scholarships and advance academically, and they need to remain in the curriculum. GO BRAVES!

Posted July 22, 2006
My husband and I are Shawnee graduates. We moved back to the district years ago so our (6) children could attend as well. We are very impressed with the acedemics as well as sports programs offered to all kids, there is something for everyone. We are surprised at how many people who are past grads have come back to raise their kids in our district, that speaks for itself that this is a good school structure. The administration of all the schools strongly encourages parent involvement. The schools are strict and we appreciate that, our kids are there to learn and the teachers have gone above and beyond to help 2 of our kids that have had some difficulty learning in some areas. We are not wealthy and do not have high profile jobs, basically we are not important people in the community but that has NEVER been a factor here.

Posted March 15, 2006
'I am currently a student at Shawnee High School. We have great teachers that are very knowledgeable and enjoy teaching us. We have a good sports program and positive coaches. I am so lucky that my parents chose to move to this district to live in. It is a fantastic school.

Shawnee High School 4

Posted June 02, 2005
- a former student
I am a graduate of shawnee and on the average it was a very good school. my parents were not made of money or was not a lawyer or doctor and i still ended up making many friends and was treated good. yes there are clicks and some favoritism,with some very stuck up kids but i think that goes at every school. i can say college was easier than some of my classes at shawnee. as in for disablities, this district will work with you on that as well. they will not let it slide and you will be taught. i'm living proof of that. i like the fact that they dont put up with any bull, it's about time schools start doing that. i can honestly say if i had to do it over again i would pick shawnee again.

Shawnee High School
1675 East Possum Rd, Springfield, OH  45502
Last modified Shawnee High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shawnee High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.