Bad
Good

I love Emerson, my middle child started here in the 1st while my oldest didn't get into Emerson until 4th grade. It was incredible the amount of knowledge that my 1st grader had already and how much my 4th grader had to catch up to the Emerson children that had been there all along. The teachers and staff are outstanding, they truly care about the children and the needs of them. Not only does the Emerson teachers and staff care about the children but also the parents of those children. While my husband was deployed to Afganistan, I knew that if I needed anything they would help and they sent packages to my husband which was totally appreciated. The school goes above and beyond teaching, it's like a family.

I currently have 2 children at Emerson and I can't begin to express just how wonderful the entire school is. They had to attend our home school for kindergarten, and I found there to be a lack of parent involvement and a lack of community. I've been so thrilled that we have been able to take advantage of the magnet school program. The principal is very involved, in fact, she is usually outdoors every day directing the parent traffic. When the teachers ask for parent volunteers, they always have way more than they need. The kids are NICE KIDS, even to kids with differences. After having had a child there for 2.5 years now, I can say that when I go to school functions, I know so many parents, it's like visiting with your friends. And the teachers work hard to challenge the students, even the really bright kids are met with challenging work. The only bad things are the parking (there is only street parking), the before & after school traffic jams (you have to wait until all the busses leave, or you have to park & walk up to the school). The school has no gym, so they hold school functions at other schools, and are bussed for gym class. The good far outweighs the bad!

I am also baffled at the review about the first grade teachers being classified as "the very popluler one" and "the one that nobody wanted"! My 2 children attend Emerson and one of them had one first grade teacher and the other child had the other. Both were fabulous! My son still goes in every morning and hugs the teacher he had in first grade! We love Emerson--especially the level of parental involvement and the way the teachers embrace it and appreciate it.

I am sad that the previous reviewer had a painful experience with this school. I honestly do not know what they were referring to regarding the good vs. bad teacher. My son's first grade teacher was wonderful, and I heard nothing but praise for the other. I have had two children go through Emerson, and from our experience it has been a caring, inclusive environment with creative teachers and staff who meet children where they are and build upon their strengths. As far as the facilities go, that is part of the magic of the magnets: they achieve amazing results even without state of the art facilities, which goes to show that people matter more than the building. Although, I don't know, I'm sort of partial to a beautiful 1890's building that looks like a castle!

Emerson is a school with many involved families. These families seem to have a lot of influence over decisions. For instance, when my son went to first grade at Emerson, he was placed the the teacher no body wanted. All the kids with older siblings in the school were in the very popular teacher's class. We struggled enormously with getting a point across to this teacher, her communication skills were at best unhelpful and probably unprofessional. We were very unhappy with this school. Watch out for the hype involved with Westerville Magnet schools. The class sizes are very large and facilities are poor. If you want your kid to get bussed to gym class, attend a local church for assemblies and eat in a tiny room instead of a cafeteria, Emerson might be for you. We have never regretted our decision to attend our attendance area school.

Emerson is a jewel of a school. How fortunate we have been to have our two children attend Emerson. There is an emphasis on student growth no matter where they are academically. They meet the child where they are and move them forward. The global focus is really what every school needs right now to get our kids ready for the larger world. Emerson is wonderful and a terrific investment in our school system.

Emerson is an amazing school that focuses on the whole child. The children are taught to think outside of themselves and about the global community, while still achieving academic excellence. They even hold fundraising activities which benefit those less fortunate. The principal and teachers are very open to new ideas and embrace parent involvement at the school. Our child learns at an accelerated level and that need was quickly recognized and met within the classroom.

Last modified Emerson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.