Bad
Good

Both of my boys attended Hawthorne Elementary, kindergarten through fifth grade. They both had great teachers and built a solid foundation for their education, middle school through college.

Hawthorne lacks a very apparent grasp on dealing with behavioral problems. Bullying is acceptable and exceptionally brutal within its walls and the staff has the inability to hold children accountable for their actions. This is an extremely dangerous recipe and enrolling children here is almost negligent if you're aware of the problems.

My son went to Gahannà until 5th grade. He has Mrs Halls and Reed. I can't say enough about what has been done for his self confidence. He has an IEP in place and it works so much better here. It's an awesome school with awesome teachers. Life is better at Hawthorne!:)

Hawthorne is an amazing school! The teachers go above and beyond to meet the needs of every student by differentiating instruction. We work hard to find new strategies and new ways of teaching that are engaging and encourage the students to be active participants in the learning process. Our students discuss, debate, create and add to the learning daily. We are so proud of our students and our school family!

Hawthorne came under new leadership for the 2012-2013 and now this year (2013-2014) things are really sailing along in the right direction. Teachers are great, administrative support is enthusiastic, and parental involvement is on the rise. The PTO is rebuilding and able to support more activities and extras at the school. The music teacher has a strings program for the older students. There is an in-building gifted program. Because there are several classrooms of each grade, teachers work together and sometimes co-teach, or divide all the first graders among the first grade teachers for math in groups by ability, as well as other innovative strategies. The school has a classroom garden and composting program, and teacher creativity is rewarded. The school also has beautiful grounds where students sometimes can eat lunch outside or walk along the paths.

my child has attended hawthorne elementary for 4 years now and I am very pleased with the school, e.i. teacher/ principal involvement with my child's education. my child is considered "special needs" and needs more one on one teaching. instead of singling my child out and making my child feel different from others, my child's teachers (every year) have made a profound effort to be supportive. my child is getting an excellent education and I am very proud to say my child attends hawthorne. the school is diverse believing EVERY child deserves an education regardless of their background e.i. financial situations. I am very involved in my child's learning and success and it is 100% reassuring that my child's teachers and principal are too!

Hawthorne used to be an amazing school. Dr. Klein's leadership was phenomenal and the school prospered. But under Mr. Tombaugh's guidance the school crumbled, the school became a prison. They are currently unable to teach students and instead are handling misbehaving students 24/7

My kids attended Hawthorne for Kindergarten, and then we lotteried them in to the magnet school program for 1st grade. The teachers at Hawthorne are wonderful, but Hawthorne draws from a low income area and parental involvement isn't very high. It did not feel like a community, it felt very fragmented, with parents acting stand-offish and keeping to themselves. When they do have events, it isn't a place where everyone knows each other. It is very easy for your above-average child to be top of their class, and I'm not sure that gives them adequate motivation. I am really happy that we only did kindergarten there. I have spent a decent amount of time there, and rarely saw the principal (whereas at the magnet school, the principal is very visible and involved).

I have only GREAT things to say about Hawthorne. From the Principal (Dr. Kline is just outstanding), to the teachers and staff, everyone is beyond helpful, courtous, kind and truely concerned for your children and their education. I'm more than pleased with the school and the activities that are given, and the facility is always clean. Most importantely, is that my son loves going to school and loves his teachers.

My boy is in 2nd grade at Hawthorne and really seems to enjoy going every day. The principal (Dr. Kline) does an outstanding job as well as the teachers and staff. Great job!

Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.