Cornerstone Academy Community

Charter | K-8 | 150 students

Living in Westerville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Sweep tile

Posted February 25, 2014

My son currently attends Cornerstone Academy and is a kindergarten student. Although we live in New Albany, I really wanted him to be in an all-day classroom and not only spend 2.5-3 hours in school a day. I did research on this school before I enrolled my son and found that they performed very highly (EXCELLENT in 2013-14 as noted by the Ohio Department of Education). Furthermore, I have witnessed my son's growth, not only as it pertains to academics but also socially. The curriculum (Paragon, Reading Court and Saxon Math) is rigorous and there are frequent opportunities for enrichment (Spanish, Art, Music, PE, Paragon Night, etc.) The Principal has been available to answer all of my questions and provide me with solutions. She is a phenomenal leader and very welcoming. I can not begin to rave enough about the Kindergarten teachers who clearly love the students and enjoy the profession of teaching. Initially, I planned to return my child to New Albany schools for his first grade year. However, due to the welcoming climate, excellent education and diversity present at Cornerstone, we will be staying for 1st grade!

Posted September 10, 2013

My child has attended this school since the 1st grade. I loved it at first! It was amazing! The staff was helpful and friendly, the children were well behaved. This year is different. The office staff is rude. The teachers are inexperienced and not equipped to handle the different personalities of the students. The school has a high turn over rate. This year is by far the worst year. Parents are no longer allowed to walk their children to class or view them in there setting. I can understand that can be a distraction but to tell me that I'm unable to drop cupcakes off to my child's class for her birthday and share that time with them is crazy! The cupcakes have to be dropped off at the front desk. If you want to view your child or have lunch it must be done in the front of the school. You can only gain access if your are volunteering. I wouldn't advise any parent to place their precious children in their care. Especially your kindergardener. Just my 2 cents!

Posted August 7, 2013

I really like this school for my child. He did not have a change in teachers, the school is clean, office staff is friendly and organized, and they have nice school events. I will be sending my daughter next year when she goes to kindergarten. My son also takes piano lessons after school with the music teacher, at a great rate. He is doing awesome!

Posted August 2, 2013

My daughter attended kindergarten at Cornerstone last year and is returning again for 1st grade this year. We absolutely loved our experience at this school. Full-day kindergarten was amazing for her. When talking to other mothers whose children attended other leading public schools, New Albany K-1, Olentangy, Dublin and Westerville, I came to learn that my daughter was being taught a far more advanced curriculum than the children who were attending these highly touted public schools. While there are many requests for supplies for the classroom it did not bother me. I felt no qualms about helping to ensure that my daughter received a good education, no matter what it took from me! You get what you put into something, right? We too were in a classroom with high turnover. By the end of the year we had gone through 2 teachers and 3 teaching assistants, all of whom were wonderful. The transition had no affect on my daughter's education. The teacher to parent communication was excellent as the teachers were constantly inviting parents into the classroom and keeping us up to date on what our children were learning, complete with classroom photos! So happy we chose Cornerstone!

Posted January 8, 2013

The turn over rate is really really bad... from Aug - Dec my daughter has had 2 different teachers and 2 different teach assistants as both the original teacher and teacher's assistant for this room resigned within 2 mos from the beginning of the school year. The administration is highly disorganized. We submitted our immunization records and applications twice as they kept loosing the paper work. The school building is only a couple years old but it is absolutely filthy. I went to use the restrooms when picking up my child and i turned around and walked out it was that bad. The walls and floors are never clean and overall the pride in taking care of the building and environment are disgusting from a cleanliness point of view. We supply all of the supplies for the classroom. We get weekly emails of needs from the teacher as clearly the administration does not provide any assistance to the classroom or the teacher. The playground (if you want to call it that) is so poorly made and right next to the parking lot. It consists of metal bars in the cheapest quality they could have possibly have found. This school does not invest in the student or the teacher.

Posted October 30, 2012

My daughter attends Cornerstone this year and is in their full day kindergarten. So far I havd nothing but great things to say about this school! The classroom ratio is great and the teacher communicate by email a lot and that really helps the working parents.I will say that even the kindergarteners have quite a bit of homework, its a little overwhelming at first but the kids start to get the hang of it after about a couple months.

Posted April 17, 2011

I have 2 children at Cornerstone and LOVE the school. I have no complaints at all with the school and the teachers are GREAT!! I volunteer in the school and see how they treat the children with love and respect. I wish I had found the school sooner!!!

Posted March 16, 2011

I was looking forward to sending my son to this school last fall. However, I quickly found that the staff was unable to help my son achieve academically. The teachers were inadequately trained to help a child that had attention problems. I met with the behaviorist regularly and she developed a chart for the teachers to follow to help him understand expectations. It was my idea to see the behaviorist, my idea to spend a day in the class and the behaviorist came up with the plan for the teachers. Even after all this the teachers lack compassion for my son. I decided to remove him from the school in October. The last day I left in tears, I was so frustrated by the lack of compassion. This is a great school for the average well behaved child. My daughter would have had an entirely different experience. She is a straight A student at Blendon Middle School who needs little help from her teachers. So while I am not saying this school is wrong for everyone, I do not believe this is the school for students with learning problems. At least that was my experience with the Kindergarten class. I will be sending my son to Oakstone this coming fall.

Posted July 8, 2010

Cornerstone is a great place to be! The class sizes are below the average in our area and our children are making more than a year's worth of growth. We want our parents to be involved in their child's or children's education. This year, we moved into the new building and it is wonderful. It has allowed us to have tons of curriculum-based evening activities this year. Come by and see for yourself.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 5, 2010

The teachers are wonderful! The kids have an opportunity to learn spanish and my child's skills in reading and math have really developed beyond what I expected. My child is excited about learning and enjoyed going to school. If parents take and ACTIVE role and PARTNER with the teachers and the school's administrators in the education of their child/children they will also have an experience that is positive and be excited about growth and knowledge their child/children have gained.

Posted March 16, 2010

Teacher very involved and caring. Curriculum strong and ahead of pace. School ground equipment being purchased by student and parent activities.

Posted February 24, 2010

My daughter attended this school last year and I was not impressed at all by the academics, staff or teachers. The academics are not challenging and the class sizes are too large, and the staff does not know how to handle behavioral issues. My child was behind in math and reading. When considering a charter school, I would suggest one at least 5+ years established to truly know the dynamics of the school and curriculum. BEWARE!

Posted February 8, 2010

My child is so happy at Cornerstone and the quality of what she is learning is excellent. I feel she is learning at a much higher level than public schools.

Posted May 28, 2009

I would recommend the school because of the teachers, however, the administration is terrible. The teachers have no support from the principal and they are constantly under scrutiny by the principal. The teacher turnover rate is outrageous. In two years 13 teachers have left the school. I do not see the principal at arrival and dismissal times, however, I do see the secretary who greets our children with warmth and a welcoming smile each and every morning. At dismissal, it is the secretary who wishes farewell to the children at the end of the day. There is an obvious problem that needs to be resolved with the administration and lack of communication by the administration. Imagine if your child has had more than 4 teachers in one year? How would you feel about that?

Posted March 19, 2009

We recently relocated from another estate, for our surprice we found out the problem with Columbus Public School. Our son attended a public school for a few weeks, he will come crying every day from school and refussing to go back at the next day. Searching for a good solution, we find CornerStone Academy; our son had improved so much in his writing and reading, now we see a happy child coming for school every single day! We are so please with the school and the staff. We are very impress with their curriculum, it's amaze to see how those kids are getting the best education. We highly recomend the CornerStone Academy to any parent.

Posted January 29, 2009

I think many of the teacher changes have been for the best. I'm glad that the principal has made these changes. My child is in one of these classes and is doing wonderful now that there is more structure in the classroom. I don't think that people take the time to actually think about how hard it really is to run a school. Not only is she running our current location but also overseeing the new building. Let's not forget she's only human! We're lucky that she is so willing to be outside everyday. At our last school we seen the principal at special events and that was pretty much it.

Posted January 19, 2009

This is an amazing school! I was more than skeptical when deciding whether or not to send my child to Cornerstone. However, the reality has far exceeded all of my expectations. I am surprised to see the comment about the principal. I see her almost every day at arrival and dismissal talking with parents and students. My concern is the building. The construction is slow but it is almost finished. I encourage parents to check out Cornerstone as an option for their child.

Posted October 1, 2008

This is by far one of the best schools in the Columbus area. My daughter is truly excited about learning and has grown more than I could have ever imagined! She is reading books that are written for children three grade levels higher than her with ease. The teaching staff is eager and caring. The administration empowers them to do their best. When the new school building is completed in early 2009, the school will offer the complete package that is so hard to find. For prospective parents, there is not a better choice for your child's education.

Posted July 31, 2008

The teachers and faculty are great!!! The fact that they have an after school program is terrific as well. Only complaint is the lack of an actual school building!!! Progress has started though!

Posted July 24, 2008

Cornerstone acadmey is blessed with amazing teachers who truly care about each and every child. Teachers however get no support from administration and the amazing things your child is learning is all from the teachers. Teachers alone at Cornerstone make it great not administration.
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Ohio used the Ohio Achievement Assessment (OAA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The OAA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Ohio. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

All Students72%

Not economically disadvantaged>=95%
Non-disabled88%
Limited English proficiency (LEP)79%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Ohio Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students67%

All Students43%
Economically disadvantaged30%
Non-disabled46%

Source: Ohio Department of Education

In 2010-2011, this school received an Overall Rating of "Met Expected Growth".

Grade 4MetMet
Grade 5MetMet
Grade 6MetMet
Grade 7MetMet
Grade 8MetAbove

In 2010-2011, the Ohio Department of Education used the Value-Added Measure to show how much growth students made on the Ohio Achievement Test since the last school year. The state expects that student test scores will show an average year's worth of growth compared to test scores from the previous year. Ohio's Value-Added Measure is not the same as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), a federal measure which uses different criteria.

94 (2011)

86 (2010)

93 (2009)

70 (2008)

120

Ohio uses the Performance Index to provide an overall indication of how well students perform on its standardized tests each year. The Performance Index scores are based upon how well each student does on all tested subjects in grades 3 through 8 and 10. Schools and districts earn anywhere from 1.2 points for each student scoring at the advanced level to zero points for each untested student. The Performance Index ranges between 0 and 120, with 100 as the statewide goal for all students.

Source: Ohio Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Ohio. Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 OAA/OGT results from the state of Ohio.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value-added estimates from the state of Ohio.

Asian 4% 2%

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Miss. Natalee M. Long
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Fax number
  • (614) 775-0633

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture