Bad
Good

Every parent acts better than those who don't have enough money to be involved and are mostly encouraged by faculty. Bullying by 'Rich' kids is an issue, and the staff will forgive any instance for reprimandation as long as you are on the PTO.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

During our time at Wilson Hill, we had a few teachers who were just average (several of whom are no longer at the school), but the vast majority were really stellar. There are even some amazing long-term teachers (Mrs. Malley and Dr. Cordova) who retired but still come back to Wilson Hill as volunteers or substitute teachers. They love our kids and the teaching team so much, they can't stay away!

Amount of homework: Agree

I love the fact that the amount of homework is very reasonable. Most nights, homework consists of 20 minutes of free-reading and about 10 minutes of math practice in younger grades or up to about 30 minutes of math in older grades. I also loved it when teachers provided the entire weeks' homework in advance so we could do it around our various lessons through the week.

I have had two children at Wilson Hill. What an amazing school! We have had experiences both with the gifted (EPP) program and with a child with an IEP and have had wonderful teachers who really helped both of them thrive and grow. Most of the teachers work as an amazing team and there is a lot of mentorship between the more experienced and newer staff members. There were several bumpy years where there were several principal changes and the lack of leadership and coincided with some changes pushed on to Wilson Hill by the district (BLC) which were hard on the teachers and kids. The new principal Mr. Girard has really been amazing and we are so grateful for his leadership. Areas I would have thought of as real problems at the school (such as the BLC) are now resources that I think really add to the school community. Any concerns I have had (academic and emotional/social) have been more than addressed in a very timely fashion and resolved in a way that left me feeling like the teachers and staff really care about my children and helping them be successful and loved at school. Wilson Hill is a school that really uses the diversity of its families to help kids learn. All kinds of families are embraced and valued members of the Wilson Hill family, whether they are English Language Learners, Gay/Lesbian families, families of color, families of various religions and non-traditional families. We will be sad when our youngest child is finally clapped out of Wilson Hill. What an amazing place it has been for our kids to spend their elementary school years!

Wilson Hill is a terrible school if your child needs additional support. They do everything in their power to avoid committing to any interventions that will require their teachers to do anything extra. They smile and go through the motions but do nothing. If you can, move. Don't put your kids there.

Wilson Hill has an amazing staff! The teachers are very compassionate and love what they do. They excel in their ability to juggle a class full of kids while individually helping students with specific needs. They listen to the parents and provide an environment that allows parents to be active in their children's learning.

Amazing school! My son went there fr kindergarten and had Mrs K. -- she is absolutely wonderful! He has learned and developed so much this year I cant believe it. The school is well maintained, parents involved, staff is very friendly and helpful, principal is great, other teachers awesome. I couldn't be happier with this school!!!!!!!!

Wonderful school! My daughter has attended since K and is in 6th grade now. Academically, a great school. There is a good amount of diversity and from what I can tell, they do a good job with bully prevention and nipping drama in the bud before it becomes a problem. The teachers are wonderful, accommodating, and from my experience, they genuinely care about the kids and love teaching. Of particular note, the teachers I know that I think are exceptional are, Mrs. Trigg (Mauer) (spelling I am not sure of), Mrs. Romeo, Mrs. Smith, and Mrs. Watkins. Dr. Cordova (4th grade) is very wonderful also! The band director, Mr. Alexis is great as well he loves music and that love for music rubs off on the kids- he loves teaching them and my daughter has really enjoyed it. In addition, the new principal, Mrs. Lesher, is just great! She knows so many, if not most, of the kids by name. The kids love her and relate well to her.

Most of the teachers in this school are excellent! If you're lucky, your child will have a chance to be taught by Ms. Barr, Mrs. McCulloch, Mr. Smith, Mrs. Malley or Mrs. Davis, all of whom have a lot of experience and common sense. Mr. Furbee the gym teacher is excellent, kids love him. Mr. Alexis the band teacher is OUTSTANDING, you'll never find a teacher so excited about music! He can encourage even the most reluctant musician. The other teachers are pretty good too, those names will just be the ones you hear when you want to know the BEST teachers are. You will want to avoid, at all costs, Mrs. Amory Marlow. She is unprofessional, uncooperative and disrespectful to parents & children. We were unfortunate enough to have two of our children stuck with her for a year, it was a nightmare. She has no concept of what is appropriate subject matter in books or movies she will expose your children to. She also makes racists comments and when called on it, she will say "I do not censor myself" (these are 3rd graders being taught the "N" word in a very multicultural school). The former principal Mrs. Reeder was top-notch. The current principal seems responsive, so we'll see.

When my children attended here we had nothing but problems regarding bullying that was not taken seriously. And teachers and staff members speaking out of line. My youngest did not feel safe in this environment. It reminded me alot of Columbus public schools. And to make matters worse, I could not believe the arrogance they showed in expressing that they knew better than the parent what was best for the child.

Last modified Wilson Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.