Bad
Good

I am very highly disappointed with this school. I have three grandchildren who attend or attended here. My eldest was a top performer at the top of his class in everything. He moved to Boardman and is now attending Market Street School, he is so far behind that they requested that he be held back a year. He has no learning disabilities and is a very bright kid, but was just so far behind other students. My other grandson who attended this school has returned home several times (about 4) with his school pants SLICED up by other students who were bullying him. They cut his pants with scissors. Where was the staff? Where was the discipline? Nowhere. Nothing was ever done to punish the offending students. Even though they have a history of bullying verbally and physically... I will not be letting my granddaughter attend this school in a few years, no matter what it costs me.

I would like everyone to know that many changes have been made at McGuffey this year. Thre is a new (and very personable) secretary, as well as a new principal. There has also been a change in teaching staff. I hope you'll give mcGuffey another look this year...you may be pleasantly surprised by the changes in both administration and teaching staff!

I dont really know where to begin. I have read all these comments the past couple of days and am glad that I am not alone. And Im not the only parent who gets talked down to and belittled (as I see many of you have been also) I tried dealing with principal but she doesnt return calls. I too have a son that attends who has a form of Autism (PDD-NOS) and we are ring around the rosie about what grade our son should be in (reads on a 10th grade level but BAD at math) He is spot on with everything else but its been since Oct. and we dont have an answer on a correct grade. No call backs on the kids being beat up, clothing thrown out of bus windows, coat stolen on the bus,bruises on my children. It may be the horrible office staff not giving messages (who knows) I also agree about that rude man in the office as well (he called my kids monsters the 3rd day od school but didnt even know who they were) He talks down to you I too can imagine how he makes kids feel. They need to review and replace the staff in the office.Really!? How are you so busy you cant take 10 minutes out to be a fly on the wall and listen to the tone and demeanor being used? Good luck to the new Principal!!

I have never in my life been talked down to and disrespected the way I have been by more than one teacher in this school. I have encountered a few teachers who were helpful and able to exhibit some sort of proper communication skills, but unfortunately I have encountered more rudeness and ignorance than anything else. This school is poorly organized (anyone who was present for the first day this year would know that) and has a staff that leaves much to be desired. So much so that I am considering taking a second job so I can afford to send my son to a private school.

I like the school and my son seems to learn very well. The displine policy is very well liked by me. No Bullying is Great! I do have one problem I don't think 6th graders should be in the same school as pre-schoolers and other young children. Did not like the fact that they did not let parents know till it was too late. Not comfortable with the age spand, TOO WIDE!

My son is going into second grade in September. He is an honor student. I'm very proud and glad that the teacher took her time with not just my child but all the children in her class. These are the people I want my child to learn from!

Last modified William Holmes Mcguffey Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.