Posted January 15, 2013
We have two children at The Montessori School of the Mahoning Valley and they are thriving. The environment of the school develops independent learners and the materials give the children immediate feed back. Each child is unique and the curriculum allows each one to proceed at their own pace. They are not taught for a test; instead learning itself is the focus and the ultimate reward. The whole child is involved - not just their academic progress/achievement. Peace education is part of the curriculum and they learn a language each year - all the way from primary (3 and 4 year olds). This year they are learning Chinese! I would highly recommend visiting the school and observing a classroom to learn about the school and its unique educational approach. There is not a better value in the Valley and the school is truly a gem. The school is a parent run cooperative and it is a blessing to be able to be involved in my children's education.

The Montessori School Of The Mahoning Valley 2

Posted October 26, 2012
We love the Montessori method and really wanted this to work for our children. The school has a small group of cheerleader parents who believe that their kids are getting an exceptional education because they are told as such. The turnover rate is exceptionally high for the remaining parents. This is why the lower grades have over 40 students and the 8th grade has 3. Truthfully, the student/teacher ratio is manipulated by counting non-certified teacher's aids, only one type of kid succeeds:the kids who are struggling are asked to leave, it requires an enormous amount of volunteer time from parents or pay an additional $800, there are few academic achievements, and very little feedback from teachers. The leadership from the directress is an absolute monarchy disguised as a parent's co-op. The fundraising is over-the-top: over 6 high-pressured events per year. We really love the Montessori method however, this UNCERTIFIED Montessori school just isn't the real deal.

Posted November 20, 2011
Montessori of the Mahoning Valley employs excellent, dedicated teachers and administrators who teach an integrated longitudinal curriculum that focuses on the whole child. This school prepares children with critical thinking skills that will serve them well in high school, post-secondary school and beyond. Each child is an individual who is challenged in a positive, peaceful environment. The Montessori Method is one like none other and Montessori Mahoning Valley is a hidden gem. We are lucky we found it!

Posted November 02, 2007
This school has been wonderful for my child. The staff has been so supportive and I am more than happy with the education my son is receiving. He has learned more as a second grader than I know he would have learned in other schools. Most importantly, he is becomng an independent learner who is seeking out knowledge from his environment. I am always surprised when he wants to 'experiment' and figure things out. He doesn't just ask questions and wait for the answer. It's a great program!

Posted October 31, 2007
I have 3 children attending Montessori of the Mahoning Valley. They all started in pre-school learning life skills and all are thriving and love it. The environment is safe and welcoming and the teachers are dedicated... and trained to guide the children to help them succeed. One parent was describing the Montessori experience using the 'teaching the child to fish' analogy, which really stuck with me as an excellent description of Montessori life. Children are taught how to learn... to enjoy learning... so they are able to teach themselves for a lifetime! They are not just fed information... memorizing it for a test. Children are guided and encouraged to move along at their own pace and not at the pace of the the slowest (or fasted) child in the room. I've reached my word limit, but if you would like to see for yourself, just call and visit the school.

Posted October 30, 2007
MSMV rocks. The teachers and staff are very caring and great with kids. My daughter likes school and has a love of education which was not present when she was in public schools. Not to toot her horn, but she reads 4 levels above grade level according to the Iowa tests that are done and is above grade level (2nd) on all subjects. I think this is due to the student to teacher ratio (12:1) and the individualized attention. It is also due to the Montessori method of mixing grades so that material is reinforced and customizing education. In the traditional school where I went, the class was where it was and if you were ahead and bored or lost and causing trouble, then too bad. In Montessori the child is where they are and the goal is to continually progress to be the best that that he/she can be.

Posted July 22, 2007
At this school my child is free to learn independently in a peaceful environment. I am so thankful we have a great Montessori school in our area. If you don't know what a huge advantage Montessori education offers a child, do some online research. You'll be amazed. Then call The Montessori School of the Mahoning Valley. You'll be so glad you did!

The Montessori School Of The Mahoning Valley
2008 Lynn Street, Youngstown, OH  44514
Last modified The Montessori School Of The Mahoning Valley is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
The Montessori School Of The Mahoning Valley Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 7 reviews.