Broken Arrow High School

Public | 9-12 | 1 student

Posted April 6, 2005

I am former student who spent nearly all of my academic career (grades 1-11) at BAHS. I'm amazed that the town STILL only has 1 high school. It really needs 2. For a public Oklahoma high school, which ranked 46th in the nation in education during the 1980s, it is an 'Ok' place for your child to get an education. Academics are an after thought. Very few students get accepted to top universities and colleges (Ivy League, Michigan, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, etc.) and if they do, are not prepared to handle the curriculum. Extracurricular activities, like varsity team sports and band, are very, very competitive. If your child has the desire to make a varsity team sport, your child will need to be highly skilled, play in the youth leagues of BA, be politically connected to the coaching staff, and socialize with other athletes.

Posted February 15, 2005

I attended Broken Arrow High and both of my parents are educators in the Broken Arrow Public School system. I feel all the complaints about Broken Arrow caring only about athletics not justified. If these claims were true, why is Broken Arrow not among the high school athletics elite? Much of the funding comes from Booster Clubs and the stadium was built through a contract with Pepsi. Although my classes were large, I was very prepared for the transition to college and the staff helped me obtain numerous scholarships. As far as the reputation that Broken Arrow is full of snobby rich kids, it is simply a stereotype. In a school so large, it is easy for kids to find their own niche. Every school has its flaws, but I feel all these negative comments are bitter misrepresentations. It is necessary to put sensitivity aside and look at the facts.

Posted October 24, 2004

The facilities are wonderful. However, the faculty are sub-par at best. Although they do seem to care about teaching, their own educational levels are marginal. The school district focuses too heavily on extra-curricular activities. For example, the high-school football coach is a full-time employee who makes a much higher salary than any of the teachers and does not teach any classes. Additionally, the environment of the school is more materialistic than most high schools. While most families in the district are middle-class, they constantly struggle financially by trying to one-up their neighbors to make their child appear to e the 'coolest' at Broken Arrow High School. The movie, 'Friday Night Lights,' is highly analagous to Broken Arrow. Parents, teachers, and students, at this school are more concerned with image than with education. Athletics and AP admission are influenced by politics and PTA involvement; merit is secondary.

Posted October 3, 2004

I am no parent but i am currently a student at bahs (broken arrow high school). I will tell you this. I have received more help here than any where else. Teachers always encourage us to come in before or after school for help when needed. I have been failing math for quite some time until i came here and got the proper help. And resources, man, are everywhere. We just got a whole lot of new computers books. Everything is new and the staff is great. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else...And p.S. I am in the pride and we as in the band members pay for everything we need. Broken arrow has great schools and I'm sure your kids will love them too.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 30, 2004

I have experienced several school districts in Oklahoma with my 4 children. I don't find BA schools to be any different than any other public school in the state. I have had trouble with some teachers and loved others, just as you would expect at any school. However, had I researched the district better and realized that it is the biggest district in the state, I would not have moved to BA. It is way to large for the kids to have opportunities in sports. My son was on a football team he loved but only got in about 5 plays in 3 years. My daughters who love cheerleading can't make the squad because the competition is too great unless you spend thousands of dollars on private training. I don't think there is a perfect district, but looking back I would have penny pinched to send my kids to private schools.

Posted August 16, 2004

I attending BA schools from 1-12th grade. I can't imagine my children attending school anywhere else! My oldest had a great year last year, and I have two more starting 1st grade. We were delighted at the teachers' passion for teaching, their methods, and their philosophy that my kids should be kids. We were drowning in homework (just for the kindergartners!). Here, my kids actually do their class work in class, they get the extra help when they need it, and are very happy. I have the greatest faith in our school system, and feel blessed to see my kids going to BA schools. Go Tigers!

Posted July 30, 2004

I am a former student at BAHS and I woldn't send my kids anywhere else. Its a wonderful school. There is a problem with student to teacher ratio, but if they go up to teachers and ask for help they tend to get it. And as one post on here said about the BA Pride was a joke? Why......Because the Pride members pay for pretty much everything. The only thing the school has done for the pride this year was increase the 'Pride Stand', if I recall. BA is known, nation wide, for its Extracurricular Activities as well as Academics. Its a wonderful all around school to go to. I got an ecellent education and I learned a lot, both acadmicaly and extracurriculary.

Posted July 10, 2004

I attended BA schools from 6-12 grades and received a quality eduaction. In answer to previous statements about teacher availability and quality of education, I got out of it what I put into it. Never once in my 7 years did I have difficulity receiving help from a teacher. As compared with many of the schools my college peers came from, I'm thankful I had the opportunity to go to BA with the variety of activities and opportunties given from a large school. And in regards to funding go to all the extra curricular activites, as a proud member of the Pride Marching Band, I spent countless hours in fund-raising as well as cash from my own pocket to pay for my own uniform parts, trips, instruments, etc as did a majority of the other programs at the school did, thank you! BA is a great place to be from!

Posted May 24, 2004

As a former student of Broken Arrow, I would highly suggest shelling out the extra $ and sending your kids to Holland Hall in Tulsa instead. It's a private school, but well worth it. Great teachers, education, high level parent involvement (encouraged), etc. I had friends that went there and wished I had their education upon entering college. When I graduated BAHS in 99 it ranked the 2nd lowest in the state for seniors in below level mathematics. Why? Because teachers weren't available for help. If you want your child to be a football star or popular athlete then Broken Arrow is the place for them. If you want your child to have a great education then I would really recomend avoiding it. I had a great time in HS and graduated w/ honors. But keep in mind that many people here won't have that oppertunity due to size, etc.

Posted May 23, 2004

Broken Arrow schools, what a joke! I moved to BA when I was 12 yrs old and did 7th-12th grades there. Why is BA a joke? Here's why... the quality of education is nothing short of aweful, teachers are rarely available for 'extra' help in studies after school (unless your child has detention, then he/she can get to see their teacher), and the number one reason: all of the school funding goes to athletics or the 'BA Pride' (marching band)! New computers? Nope! Not in the time I was there. All the $ went to football uniforms, equip, band uniforms, sending band to competitions, etc! Yeah, BA is great at extracurricular activities but that's about it. It is the 3rd or 4th largest HS in the nation so the student to teacher ratio is aweful (even though this website states otherwise). If you are moving to BA beware of the schools.

Posted April 21, 2004

Parent involvement is a joke - North Intermediate doesn't want it. No child left behind campaign - Needs to begin with teaching methods and the desire to want to teach, there are alot of kids left behind because nobody wants to take the time to reach these kids - 'they are trouble kids'. No Bullying Act - please - This school believes that your child should not defend themselves. Your child can be threatened, shoved in the halls and harrassed. If your child 'complains' too much, they are told By the Assistant Principal he is tired of seeing their face in his office to go back to class. Teachers are quick to give out referrals than to control his or her own classrooms. Dress code definately needs to be addressed.

Posted February 23, 2004

Our daughter attended and graduated from BAHS in 2000 and we are pleased with the education that Broken Arrow schools afford. Her graduation date from Tulsa University is Spring 2004 and she was fully prepared for her college classes. By the way, as I recall, BAHS is the largest high school in the state of Oklahoma.

Posted September 21, 2003

I attended BA schools from K-12, I disagree with the first comment. Most of the teachers there do not put their heart into their teaching. I was a straight A&B student, and worked hard regardless of the teachers involvment! If you are moving to BA, and plan to have you children attend BA schools, stay way involved in your childs school, best way for them to succeed! My son is almost 4 and I am concerened about sending him to BA schools. He has ADHD and children with that condition need one on one help and dedicated teachers.

Posted August 26, 2003

I am a student who spent all 13 years in Broken Arrow...the AP program has quite a few exceptional teachers who are passionate about teaching and can provide guidance for students preparing for college.... the counseling department is a frustration as they tried, with many students including myself, to talk us out of enrolling in advanced placement classes. This is the only warning I have to offer to prospective BA students. Just heed my warning- it is a school which much to offer if you avoid the right people.

Posted August 10, 2003

My son attended Broken Arrow Schools from 1st grade through 12th grades. He received a quality education that has made him competative with students across the nation. His former teachers, administrators and counselors are still very much a part of his life in offering encouragement with his post graduate studies. Broken Arrow has the best to offer in education. I highly recommend the school and community to anyone who is considering a move to Oklahoma.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 84% in 2012.

15 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 77% in 2012.

633 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 79% in 2012.

25 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 88% in 2012.

11 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English III

The state average for English III was 92% in 2012.

909 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 87% in 2012.

166 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2009.

1111 students were tested at this school in 2009.

2009

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2009.

1032 students were tested at this school in 2009.

2009

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 77% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/A61%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

• Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1901 East Albany