Copan High School 1

Posted January 06, 2008
This school has taken a nose dive in recent years. Poor choices in administration hirings has really stunted any progress. This school fails miseably in preparing students for college. My third child is starting into the High School and we are working to move to another district. They like many schools of its size is dying and do not have a clue how to survive.

Posted August 19, 2006

Posted May 22, 2006
It's not possible to compare Copan to larger schools. It is apples to oranges. For my children, I am grateful they attend Copan. Academic and extracurricular options are not the same as in a large school, true, but the tradeoffs are tremendous. My children (4 in school right now) have the benefit of attending school in a close-knit community. The teachers are the same teachers my husband had as a child, or people he grew up with. I truely feel like my children are safe knowing their teachers, the parents, the other students. Sports and electives are just what you would expect in a tiny school, nothing more or less. The buildings are older, but they still function fine. I have one child who is advanced and the principals of both the elementary and high school have been nothing but accomodating to ensure he receive the challenge he needs.

Posted January 30, 2006
This school is great if you want to just finish high school and go straight to work. In my experience I was hardly assisted in preparing for college. Also I beleive the admistration is getting better with time, however the teacher problem remains the same. Three teachers in the High School do not coach a sport. There are eight teachers that teach High School courses. There is also alot of politics involved in everything at Copan.

Posted December 28, 2005
Copan has recently hired a new elementary principal and she seems to have excellent report with the teachers & parents.The students really love her and she is very interested in each child as an individual. Facilities are way below average (except for the ag building) and quality of most middle & high school teachers is definitely bottom of the barrel. This school has plenty of interest in agriculture (Majority of board members have children in ag) but school is lacking tremendously in scholastic area and has no opps for over-achievers or under-achievers. I have a child currently in 8th grade and 1 who graduated from here and had trouble his first year of college because he was not prepared scholastically. Something really needs to be done about the lack of academics,arts(drama,music,etc)and overall interest in helping students be 'all that they can be'.

Posted August 01, 2004
- a former student
I was a student of Copan Public Schools for 13 years and graduated from there. The school is part of a small town and many people don't see this. No, they don't have the same quality buildings and materials as larger schools, but they make do with what they have. As for athletics, they encourage all students to be active. From softball to track, all of copan sports help to motivate the student. Self esteem and academic performance come from athletics(not to mention health awareness!) Copan is not all sports-they have Art, Ag and many youth/community service clubs. The administration of Copan schools is excellent! Everyone should walk in their shoes before bad mouthing them! In other words Copan is a great place to grow up in!

Posted May 03, 2004
- a former student
I went to Copan Public Schools, and in my opinion, the High School and Junior High need much improvement regarding academics. However, it was the quality of teachers, not the administration. In my experience, it seemed the teachers did not care about being good teachers. I was fortunate to move to a school with more opportunities, and teachers who enjoyed there jobs. However, after my years in Copan, I had to work extrememly hard to be in the same position as my classmates. I did not realize until I moved just how far behind this school is. Had I not moved, I probably would not have had the confidence in myself to earn a law degree. I hope for the sake of the students, drastic steps are taken to improve this school.

Posted April 30, 2004
I have had one student graduate and still have one in the 9th grade that have attended Copan Schools since Kindergarten. There are teachers that care about inspiring students but they are in the minority. The school has not had good luck in finding a good music/band instructor but currently does have an Art teacher. As for technology, the students have access to TriCounty Technological Center in 11th and 12th grade. There is a good 4-H program. I have always found the Superintendant and High School Principal supportive. The Elementary Principal is excellent. The Superintendant is retiring at the end of this year and another has been hired. My only frustration has been several teachers who should not be teaching and some of them have not been rehired for next term. It is a very good small school where everyone is like family.

Copan High School 1

Posted March 01, 2004
Copan schools are very need of improvement. From the structural buildings to the quality of education. I would say that 2% of our teachers actually try to give quality instruction. Our superintendent is terrible, our high school principle is terrible, but our elementary teacher is great but battling for improvement. Our small school will continue to deteriate because of the quality of our educators.

Posted February 07, 2004
Copan School needs a lot of improvement and is behind in the area of technology and arts. There is nothing here to be involved in unless you are an athlete. No band or music, no home economics or other artistic opportunities. All athletics and no scholastic focus! Definetly behind the surrounding schools in opps for students.

Copan High School
527 Hornet Lane, Copan, OK  74022
Last modified Copan High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Copan High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top