Coweta Junior High School

Public | 7-8 | 531 students

Posted July 12, 2013

As a former student in 2002-2004 I have to say that this school is just awful!! I hated it with a passion. It should be shut down. The teachers are nosy and rude. They do nothing to prevent bulling. I will never send my daughter to this WHOREable school.

Posted March 24, 2010

personally those reveiws only conentrate on negative things there are many posotive things at this school and I am proud to be a tiger.

Posted March 26, 2009

I go to the school, and i think its the best school i've ever been to in coweta. There are no drugs being sold here. I love our principal, he is the bomb. If you are that disgusted with it being 'un-christianly' or whatever, put your child in a freaking private school! We aren't the only school that cusses, gets in trouble, or fights. I am proud to be a Tiger at Coweta Junior High.

Posted October 1, 2008

This school is great if your child has is an A,B, student but if your child has any handicap or learning problems they will not fit in. No special classes for most of the students that may need them and are put in classes they should not be in to make there class size come out right

Posted January 29, 2008

We are so excited about the 2 new school being built in Coweta. My son has had a great time at CJH. All he can talk about is how helpful and nice are his teachers and principals are.

Posted December 17, 2007

I love CJH and so does my children.

Posted August 1, 2007

I agree and disagree with all the other comments. There are a handful of great teachers. I have no respect with any of the Jr. High Principal's. I disagree that this is a Christian atmosphere. My children talk about drugs actually being traded and sold in the hallways and classrooms. You see definite favoritism between the teachers and students. I know society has a lot to do with how the teachers interact with the children. They have finally gotten up-to-date with the computer system where you can go and view your children's grades. This is great; because yes, the teachers do not call you until it's too late if they are having concerns with your children. Parent's must step up and get involved with what is going on with their children in school Great school? No.

Posted July 5, 2007

This school has some very dedicated teachers. The main problems that students face are 1). The lazy attitude displayed by the principal, 2). The lack of non-athletic elective classes, and 3). The complete absence of leadership skills and professionalism by the assistant principal. The current school administration will eventually run off the good teachers due to the lack of support. I hope the superintendent will investigate just how poorly the school is being run and make the necessary changes.

Posted May 30, 2007

I have two children that attend this school. They are both excellent students that have had good teachers who are all willing to work and communicate with parents who are willing to be a part of their children's education. All Junior Highs will have some fights and discipline problems. I feel that there the administration is doing a good job keeping my children safe and well educated.

Posted August 25, 2005

I bought my house last year in Coweta and was excited for my children to go to this school. To my dismass last year was a disaster! My son was bullied numerous times and was held accountable for defending his self! When I received his report card this summer he had flunked all classes but football!! I never received a phone call or a letter from any teacher, principal or counselor! I called and talk to the principal and he stated it was my responsibility to contact the school and check on his grades. Again I called this year because my son was told at a scrimmage while he was playing that he now needed to go sit out that he was ineligible to play for 6 weeks because of his grades last semester. After talking to the principal it was my fault for not knowing policy! Not handled correctly!

Posted August 2, 2005

My child was held back in 8th grade,and I did not receive one single phone call or mailed letter until it was too late. This was especially upsetting when my calls to the school had gone unreturned. Most of the time the office won't even answer the phone. Under-staffed? Short on budget? Whatever the excuse,the kids are paying the price. If I had a choice,my child would not attend this school either. Currently I am looking into other options. We moved to this area from out of state. My child is an exceptional athlete,who has not been able to play because of grades.Trying to get some extra help for him has proved impossible. How can I arrange help if nobody will return a call?

Posted March 24, 2005

Emphasis on academics is so-so. Administration spends most of their time on disciplinary problems. Parental involvement is not encouraged unless their child is in sports. Bullying is rampant and administration will punish the complainer and protect the bully. Children are being withdrawn and transferred to other districts in record numbers. Many others have chosen home-schooling. Alternative school is recommended for all who complain about bullies. Out of sight, out of principle's hair. Heaven help you if your child makes a mistake, they won't be allowed back in school. Both of mine, ages 15 and 9 are begging to be home-schooled. This used to be a great school, now it's an embarrasment. Send your kids some where else!

Posted May 8, 2004

I think this is a great school, the teachers are involved and have an important position in a childs life. The administration their is very good as well. Teachers motivate students and help them to reach there full potential.

Posted May 8, 2004

I think this is a very good school because the teacher are involved in a childs learning. There is a good christain environment as well. This schools administration is very good.

Posted September 9, 2003

There needs to be more supervision, security and intervention, almost every day there was a fight or a brawl of somesort either in the halls or in the parking lot waiting for busses. There needs to be more parent involvement than just a signed Progress Report for students with a 69 or lower in their class, most of these notes are forged and never seen by a parent. If I had a choice, my children would NOT attend this school.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2013.

215 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 89% in 2012.

200 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 77% in 2012.

210 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 65% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Native American 25% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 150%N/A61%
Special education 212%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

30080 Highway 51