Deer Creek Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 758 students

Posted May 5, 2014

We transferred to Deer Creek after years in private schools. This school out shines any of the private schools they attended - parents, teachers, administration and counselors have been outstanding and helpful.

Posted November 1, 2013

Deer Creek Middle School not only has a world class facility, the teachers and administrators are extremely talented. We've been blown away by their engagement in creating a great learning environment and focus on the student experience. The district is growing very quickly and they've continued to make adjustments to address the pains involved in growth district.

Posted August 23, 2013

I'm unimpressed. DC schools are politically motivated. ..money motivated. It's easy to brag about test scores for upper middle class white kids from 2 parent homes with college educated parents. There are cliques here that are super hurtful and you can't fit in unless you make tons of money n

Posted November 14, 2012

Every once in a while you come across a teacher who is just...awesome. They care about your success, and help you achieve it. I have found several teachers like this here at DC. They make up for some lousiness at the school...

Posted October 27, 2010

I agree that the leadership and counselors are ineffective. There needs to be some major changes at this school. Our daughter has been in this school district since kindergarten and we have loved it here....until now. Very disappointed in how things are handled, how some of the teachers treat the kids, and what goes on at this school that is just ignored.

Posted October 21, 2010

There are little cliques in this school that are very hurtful to kids on the outside, especially for the girls. The leadership does not seem willing or able to address it . The counselors are seemingly ineffective and do more harm than good, i.e. counseling the offender and the victim side-by-side, hence the bully's view prevails. I am sure they are trying but they have a lot of work to do.

Posted April 19, 2010

They are 'great bunch of parents, teachers, staff and students!'

Posted April 15, 2010

I am a student at Deer Creek Middle School and I am not very impressed with this school. I think that most of the girls are snotty and think they the center of attention. It's like they form cliques and unless you've known them your life they will just ignore you. Also the kids think that if you are not from Oklahoma you are not worth talking to. If I were a parent i would not send my kids to this school.

Posted June 9, 2008

I have been at Deer Creek since 1st grade and in elementary it was great! But when I hit middle school it all went down hill... fast. So many girls doing bad things, a lot of pressure to have these certain things (clothes, purses, cell phones, electronics, etc.), and the teachers didn't seem to really want to connect and help us learn. Now I have had a few teachers that were just great, but others didn't care. Also we are growing like no other! They can barely fit us in the school and 30 kids to a small room. Principal leadership is not very good, neither counsler or teacher leadership. Eventually most kids get lost like I did- unless they are 'popular', but not in the good way... It is just growing way to fast!! So I am getting out of that mess and going to a different school.

Posted May 25, 2008

We love DCMS! The staff and adminitration is A+ ! Students learn through hands-on means and the teachers seem well prepared. My children have launched rockets, built catapults, written brilliant essays, produced outstanding art, and are 2 years advanced in math. Obviously, our school is doing something right. Thanks DCMS!

Posted March 23, 2008

The middle school education seem less rigorous than the education my children got in elementary school. Especially in math, I don't feel my children are getting skills and habits needed to be successful in math over the long term. They have almost no homework on a daily basis. Why stress the children out so much in elementary school, then just coast in middle school?

Posted December 3, 2007

It appears to me that discipline is lacking. Issues regarding bullying and teasing when reported do not seem to get much of a response by the principle.

Posted November 30, 2007

I am currently an 8th grade attending DCMS. It is one of the best schools I have ever been to. The teachers all make sure you learn their subjects. In my opinion, I think Mrs. Burnett, current pre-algebra and PAP-Geometry teacher, Mrs. Vasso, a history teacher, and Mrs. Bridges, science teacher and teacher of the year were the greatest. They made the classes fun doing games, hands on activities, and many more. They always made sure the students learned everything they can without overstressing the students. There are many fun classes like band, athletics, art, drama, and technology. Those classes have different types of classes like robotics, graphics, or simulation in technology classes. My third year at DCMS is awesome. The students are all so nice. This is one of my favorite schools in my life.

Posted January 22, 2007

DCMS is a great place to learn. The staff and principals love the kids. They do what they can to make sure that every student is successful. They are great! The implementation of the new programs in athletics have been super. My child gets to play, and she is really just an athlete with limited ability. Thank you Deer Creek Middle School for giving all kids a chance to excel.

Posted July 23, 2006

Mrs. Jones is the greatest principal. She has turned this school around. She motivates the staff and parents to get involved in the school and the children. I'm thrilled both my kids will have her for three years during Middle School.

Posted April 24, 2006

This is the second year for the new principal, Mrs. Jones. We feel that she has turned the middle school into a wonderful, loving place. It lacked caring and goals but has been brought to new levels by Mrs. Jones.

Posted December 31, 2005

I was a student at Deer Creek MS for two semesters. My family had just biult a house in the district, and I was extremely nervous about going to a school where I knew no one. When I ntered the school, I was shocked by it's lack of academic goals. The only teachers who seemed to care about the students at all were a Mr. Jenkins, a history teacher, and a Mrs. Burnett, a composition teacher. The foreign language offerings were slim, as were the science and mathematics programs. The art program was well-stocked. The other students were cruel, and isolated me. I had had dozens of friends at my previos school, but at Deer Creek I had only a few. I was so unhappy I transferred schools, and I am now an honor student on the basketball
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 26, 2004

We brought our children from a rural setting, we knew the staff, students and they knew us. This was what we were looking for and found it at Deer Creek, although a fast growing community that is a little bigger than our previous school,the staff is proffesional and willing to meet our needs and concerns. Parents are actively involved from grade school up with in school as well as extra-curricular activities which I believe creates a safe and encouraging learning environment. There is of course monetary donation support from the parents as well but voluntary and pertinent to your childs classes. An all around great school.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2013.

280 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 89% in 2012.

293 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

297 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

296 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 77% in 2012.

282 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 65% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 2%
Native American 3% 16%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A61%
Special education 213%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3501 South Boulevard Street