Ida Freeman Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 484 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

Ida Freeman is underrated because it is one of the best schools in Edmond. The teachers and staff work very hard to make the learning experience an awesome one for the kids. They don't have as much support from the parent organizations as other schools but they do amazing things with what they have.

Posted February 24, 2014

Ida Freeman is the worst school ever! My son is in kindergarten and isn't learning a thing! The faculty act like they're in highschool and pick and choose which parent and child to speak to everyday and they just act like they're better than everyone.. it's despicable.. and don't get me started on the teacher.. One page front and back homework once a week? Oh please, my 3 year old daughter is challenged more at headstart than my my son at this sorry excuse for a school. My son learned more in headstart alone than he has this year so far. I wouldn't send my worst enemy here! It's sad to know that home schooling has been thought of as an alternative.. pathetic!!!

Posted May 1, 2012

I have had several kids go through this school and I have never had any issues. Every single teacher seems to love what they do and my kids have enjoyed all of their various teachers. This is also the only school in Edmond that offers chess club which is supported by the teachers and parents not the school. When my last child is gone next year I am really going to miss the staff!

Posted March 16, 2011

I am a teacher at this school and an active member of the staff and school community. I will say that, although we may not have all of the resources, perfect test scores and parental involvemnet that we would like, we always strive for what's best for the children in our classrooms. My number one priority is to educate and encourage the lives of those around me! I do know, that as a staff, we are continuing our education as well, so that we can make Ida Freeman the best place to be. I'm not speaking for everyone but I do feel that the teachers need a voice and I am doing just that! I am happy to be a part of such a caring team of educators! And to the parents, thanks for trusting and sharing your children with us.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 3, 2011

My daughter has ben well taught this year in Kindergarten. Ida Freeman is one of the few in Edmond that provides full-day kindergarten, and our family has seen the benefit. My daughter loves school. The children in her class are well-behaved and her teacher is excellent. I can fully recommend Ida Freeman at least for Kindergarten.

Posted January 14, 2011

My daughter's 1st grade teacher has done an exceptional job this year. I would not have let my daughter stay at this school otherwise. Outdoor recess is seriously rough. I have seen full out ground and pound fights in the 1st grade and the "recess monitors" turning a blind eye. I believe in part because they are tired of trying to discipline some of these children. I am going to put my daughter in private school after this experience. The vice Principal has also not fulfilled our expectations.

Posted January 2, 2011

As a Parent, I was appalled to hear from my child how her 2nd grade teacher, "Mrs. Crouser" treated a little boy in her class with disabilities in the beginning of the school year. Since this then I have learned from my daughter that the little boy has been removed from the class but also isn't in the school. My daughter told me that her teacher told the class, she forced him to leave. Is this the same Mrs. Crouser listed below as a 1st grade teacher? I will say though, that working with the secretaries, and the principals is like working with best friends, you can tell they all have the best interest if the students at heart, well except for 1 teacher.

Posted November 9, 2010

I currently have a child attending Ida Freeman and have 2 older children that attended. My favorite principal was Mr. Evans, I do not like the current principal. My daughter had great difficulty with her 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Crouser, I would NOT recommend her to anyone. Having said the 2 negatives overall we have been very happy with the school.

Posted April 17, 2007

My second grade child has attended Ida Freeman since kindergarten. My husband and I have been very happy with the school. It's faculty has always been helpful and friendly. I love that it's a smaller school, with a homey atmosphere. The principal is wonderful. She was very supportive of our requests to make my child's learning experience the best it could be.

Posted April 17, 2007

I have been so relieved to find a 'home' in Ida Freeman. My children have blossomed since coming here. The support from administration and staff is outstanding.

Posted December 22, 2006

If you Child is having any difficulty, do not expect the Principal or a majority of the Teachers to help in any way.

Posted August 18, 2006

I Really love this school, Teachers are great , Office staff very friendly and helpful. The teachers are really understanding to your child's needs ( First Grade Mrs.Crousers is wonderful). I would Highly recommend this school to anyone

Posted June 13, 2006

I have two children that attended and attend this school. There is not a lot of extracurricular activities other than chess which is not school sponsored (the chess coach is great and that program is great!). I have not seen over the years much opportuntiy for parent involvement because of the lack of activities. My son still is attending the school and I hope there is impovement overall. -Parent

Posted September 21, 2005

My child went to school at Ida Freeman for his Kindergarden year 2003-2004 and we were vere dissapointed w/the teachers and staff attitude and the new woman princaple who seemed very inexperinced. We put our son in another public school in the Edmond district the following year because we felt that our son was not getting a good education at Ida Freeman. Our thoughts on the school were correct because now that our son has changed shools he is now challanged more and learning more. If I ever had to put my son back in Ida Freeman I would pay for him to be put in private school before he was ever placed back in that school. I rate this school at a sad 4 on a scale from 1 to 10.

Posted May 6, 2003

My children attend this school and we love it! Mr. Evans is a great principal and he has helped us get our oldest into the right direction.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

53 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

53 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, grades 5 and 8 in science and writing, grade 5 in social studies, grade 7 in geography, and grade 8 in U.S. history and government. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

47 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

47 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

43 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 91% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

41 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian 3% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A61%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

501 West Hurd