Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Inconsistent leadership, inconsistent rules, inconsistent discipline, combined with the fact, that in my experience.I had my kids moved to this school about 4 months and my older kid was on 3rd grade. In those 4 months he got into fights and it wasn't he faults. because he stand up for the bullies and got suspended the first times was one day and the second times two day. From his previous school never have any problems at all. but at this school I feel like they are not try to prevent the bullies from happening and if you stand up against the bullies by response with the self defense then you are wrong. Even know those kids put their hands on my kid first and my kid still got suspended, no wonder why in 5 years they've replaced 4 leaders.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Unstable leadership with a revolving door for principals and teachers alike. If I may be frank here, the outcome of student disciplinary problems is clearly biased. If the student your child has a problem with is on an IEP for behavior problems due to a disability. Your child will be receive some sort of discipline which does not appear to follow increasing steps of severity, whereas, the other student will simply be removed from the class setting back to a small class setting where an entirely different set of disciplinary standards are allowed. When you are called in to speak with the school regarding the issue the story is generally one of the students started it and the other reacted incorrectly but which one did what exactly is usually unknown (how convenient). In my experience, arguments, fights, injuries, bullying, etc. are rarely witnessed by an adult and this creates a huge flaw in fostering honesty, integrity, and fairness regarding students, in my opinion.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Just as in every school there are great teachers, as well as, those who are not so great. I do not believe it would be fair to lump them into one group so as a whole I would say "somewhat effective". Although, in my experience alone I would say "very ineffective".

Amount of homework: Disagree

This school overall does not give homework at all unless a parent insists and is persistent enough to physically appear to pick up the requested homework. However, there are a number of older, highly experienced teachers who did give homework but not a single one of them that I am aware of remained teaching at Orvis as of last year.

We have had a total of seven years experience, having children at Orvis Risner. During our time here we have seen four principals and countless teachers come and go, most for good reason but sadly also many of their most experienced, dedicated, and successful teachers have chosen to depart from Orvis Risner. New programs have come and go and some have reappeared under various names. While the written school policies remain consistent this is not generally apparent in regards to the actions taken by school officials from a parent's perspective. I believe this inconsistency is due to the high turnover rate of principals and teachers, consistency requires stable leadership. There is a small group of parents who are extremely involved in the PTA and their dedication is priceless. However, as a parent who once wanted to become extremely involved in the PTA at Orvis I must admit this parent group is run as an exclusive club and is difficult to earn the respect of the other moms. In their defense I am certain this fact is due to the overwhelming abundance of parents who are less than vigilante when it comes to their children. There are a great number of students at Orvis who have little respect for adults, authority, and fellow students. If your child is a leader and not easily swayed by the other students or distracted by lacking classroom control or rules that remain consistent year after year then your child will do just fine attending Orvis. One of our children excelled wonderfully every year but our other child has also had many new or inexperienced teachers, as well as, a group of unruly students who are leaders that consistently keep the school, parents, and their peers on their toes. The past five years this school has been a nightmare for my family.

We have had a total of six years experience as two of my boys progress through school. My oldest never had a single problem, got along well with students and teachers, made fantastic grades and friends. However, my youngest has had a nightmare experience for 3 out of the 4 years he has attended Orvis. Last year he tested on grade level, behaved in class, and there were zero problems. Every other year he has had a teacher either new to teaching, new to the district, or little experience with children in general. Orvis Risner is going on the fourth principal in five years. Parent/Teacher communication is seriously lacking and from my perspective teachers are afraid to discipline students for fear it may negatively impact their reputation as a good teacher. DICIPLINE is an enormous issue at this school. Furthermore, every year except that perfect 2nd grade year my student has complained about other students being loud, out of their seats, and the teacher being too busy to answer questions. Teachers must have control of their classroom first and foremost and I am in the process of transferring my child.

This is an amazing school. The staff is wonderful and so focused on helping kids achieve.

Orvis Risner is a wonderful school and i'm so happy my children attend the same elementary school i and my siblings did. My daughter just loves Orvis and is working hard to become SWAG student again. My son is in pre-k and has a lot of fun learning. I do wish that the communication between the school and parents was like it was last year though, cause it's declined greatly but my children's teachers to some degree let me know what's going on. The principal is very nice and is at every assembly that the children have and i always see and talk to her when i pick my kids up. She encourages the children to learn and be the best they can be in all areas of life.

My son started here last year and we have seen a huge improvement in his social skills, academic achievements, and his attitude towards school. The principal is enthusiastic and that helps bring everyone else up as well! The energy is contagious!

This is our first year at Orvis, and we could not be happier. We recently moved here from another school district in another city, and although we struggle financially because of the move to Edmond for the schools, our children are much better off here. The teachers actually care. The principal and staff care. I am very happy with this school and would hope that anyone looking for a school for their children would considering moving to this school's district.

Last modified Orvis Risner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.