Sunset Elementary School 4

Posted April 03, 2014
I am a parent who submitted a previous review (Posted November 8, 2012). I felt an extreme need to update my review of Sunset based on the 2013-2014 school year and the changes that have been made. Sehawks are making progress!! There is an AMAZING new Principal Dr. McDaniel and Asst Principal Mr. Pratt. Since this school year started my child has had so many positive experiences and loves the encouragement from teachers and Principals. I have met and see the Principals on a regular basis and I really appreciate that. Family Night was a huge success and we had a great time. Parent involvement still needs improvement however, this is not the school's fault. Bullying is not tolerated and is handled properly this year.

Posted June 06, 2013
My son went to this school and it is TERRIBLE. They let him get away with not doing his work (did not mention this at ANY parent teacher conferences, even when asked how he was doing) for the ENTIRE YEAR. They love kids, but do NOT hold the students accountable. They cant always argue that it is a parent thing, because I was 100% involved the entire year. They are frustrated and LOST and do not know how to manage a classroom. I have never seen the principal (not a single time, even at events), and when I mentioned it to the office ladies (who wasn't the nicest person in the world) they just laughed and shrugged. They wasted an entire year of my son's life. Ridiculous. Bullying also a huge deal. My child was bullied many times. Teachers seem to try to handle it, but it happened way too often. Some children this year threatened his life at one point and he was very shaken. This is not a good school if you care about your child's future at all. WORST school in Edmond.

Sunset Elementary School 2

Posted April 19, 2013
Faculty at Sunset care deeply for their students, and work hard to advance learning. Many opportunities for growth are available, including after-school tutoring, Success Maker, and differentiated instruction. The school, however, has extremely low parental support and involvement. PTO meetings are sparse. While many parents are supportive, some often only initiate communication to complain, and when they do so are sometimes disrespectful and ignorant of school and classroom policies despite numerous opportunities to be informed. Sunset is not the "typical Edmond" school; it is fighting an uphill battle against low parent involvement, apathetic students and parents, and increasingly jaded and frustrated teachers. I love this school and want to see it improve, but we need a great deal more help and support from parents, students, and faculty alike.

Posted November 08, 2012
Bullying is a serious issue at Sunset. My children witness fights on a weekly basis. I would not recommend this school unless things change. The teachers do a great job but the office staff are not always friendly and principles are never seen. The PTO is almost non existent. There is almost no parent involvement. It is very sad.

Sunset Elementary School 3

Posted November 26, 2011
I have a child who attends Sunset Elementary. Her teachers are excellent, but I haven't been too impressed with the new principal. It seems like my child's class for the past 2 years have had some violent and emotionally disturbed students. It has been difficult for my child to learn what she needs to learn because of the violent behavior in her classroom. I don't blame the teacher. I just think the administration could help by placing the emtionally disturbed students in an emotionally disturbed classroom. I know they used to have a class for them, but now they are being mainstreamed. I wish they would have gotten parental input before making this change. I am looking into sending my daughter to another school next year.

Posted May 24, 2011
My family has been at Sunset now for nine years. I have been involved almost since the beginning. The teachers and current administration here is fantastic. There are many ways for parents to get involved and stay involved. Teachers are open to parents. You can eat with your child; visit them during PTO activities; etc. My children have been helped to overcome obstacles as well as achieve greater things. The school has a SmartBoard in almost every classroom and is up to date with technology. You can access grades and assignment info for those kids in 3 through 5 grades. I loves Sunset!

Posted November 26, 2007

Sunset Elementary School 0

Posted November 12, 2007
This school has been a disappointing experience for my child and myself. The teachers and staff at Sunset have not been at all sensitive to my son's special needs. I am very aware that my child is only one of many that his teacher is responsible for, but it would be an improvement to at least see the appearance of effort on the part of Sunset staff. We are currently searching out our options for the future.

Posted August 26, 2007
Sunset is a fantastic school. My kids have been going there for the past 10 years and have always loved their teachers. Academics are above standard!!!!

Posted May 28, 2007

Sunset Elementary School
400 West 8th Street, Edmond, OK  73003
Last modified Sunset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunset Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top