Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My son began attending Sunset for Kindergarten this past fall and has done wonderfully. He loves his teacher and his classmates and loves going to school in general. The principal and vice-principal are very involved and all the kids loves them. I was a little wary due to the previous bad reviews but they are from years ago and the school seems to be getting better and better. We are very happy there!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

His teacher this year is the Teacher of the Year. She is amazing with the kids and has great help in her assistants. She communicates well with the parents and from the times I have been present in the classroom during the lessons she truly deserves the title of Teacher of the Year.

Amount of homework: Agree

Weekly homework and a monthly special assignment seem to be the perfect amount for pre-k. Its a simple 1 page homework that my son can now complete without any explanation. He knows on Monday when we get home the first thing he does is his homework and he now starts without any prompting. On the monthly special assignments he is getting more creative each time.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school is very consistent in their teaching. All students are treated fairly and encouraged to know and follow the school and class missions.

My son is a pre-k student at Sunset for the 2015-2016 school year. He loves his teacher and looks forward to going to school every day. He knows what is expected of him and does his weekly homework without complaint and even looks forward to the special projects that comes home. He is excited to do the nightly reading and sometimes even adds an extra book. The faculty and staff at the school are great and I know my son is in good hands every day. I am a very involved parent and wish more parents would get involved with their students but overall our first year at Sunset has been amazing.

I am a parent who submitted a previous review (Posted November 8, 2012). I felt an extreme need to update my review of Sunset based on the 2013-2014 school year and the changes that have been made. Sehawks are making progress!! There is an AMAZING new Principal Dr. McDaniel and Asst Principal Mr. Pratt. Since this school year started my child has had so many positive experiences and loves the encouragement from teachers and Principals. I have met and see the Principals on a regular basis and I really appreciate that. Family Night was a huge success and we had a great time. Parent involvement still needs improvement however, this is not the school's fault. Bullying is not tolerated and is handled properly this year.

My son went to this school and it is TERRIBLE. They let him get away with not doing his work (did not mention this at ANY parent teacher conferences, even when asked how he was doing) for the ENTIRE YEAR. They love kids, but do NOT hold the students accountable. They cant always argue that it is a parent thing, because I was 100% involved the entire year. They are frustrated and LOST and do not know how to manage a classroom. I have never seen the principal (not a single time, even at events), and when I mentioned it to the office ladies (who wasn't the nicest person in the world) they just laughed and shrugged. They wasted an entire year of my son's life. Ridiculous. Bullying also a huge deal. My child was bullied many times. Teachers seem to try to handle it, but it happened way too often. Some children this year threatened his life at one point and he was very shaken. This is not a good school if you care about your child's future at all. WORST school in Edmond.

Faculty at Sunset care deeply for their students, and work hard to advance learning. Many opportunities for growth are available, including after-school tutoring, Success Maker, and differentiated instruction. The school, however, has extremely low parental support and involvement. PTO meetings are sparse. While many parents are supportive, some often only initiate communication to complain, and when they do so are sometimes disrespectful and ignorant of school and classroom policies despite numerous opportunities to be informed. Sunset is not the "typical Edmond" school; it is fighting an uphill battle against low parent involvement, apathetic students and parents, and increasingly jaded and frustrated teachers. I love this school and want to see it improve, but we need a great deal more help and support from parents, students, and faculty alike.

Bullying is a serious issue at Sunset. My children witness fights on a weekly basis. I would not recommend this school unless things change. The teachers do a great job but the office staff are not always friendly and principles are never seen. The PTO is almost non existent. There is almost no parent involvement. It is very sad.

I have a child who attends Sunset Elementary. Her teachers are excellent, but I haven't been too impressed with the new principal. It seems like my child's class for the past 2 years have had some violent and emotionally disturbed students. It has been difficult for my child to learn what she needs to learn because of the violent behavior in her classroom. I don't blame the teacher. I just think the administration could help by placing the emtionally disturbed students in an emotionally disturbed classroom. I know they used to have a class for them, but now they are being mainstreamed. I wish they would have gotten parental input before making this change. I am looking into sending my daughter to another school next year.

Last modified Sunset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.