Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

The approach is to overwhelm the child with homework, I think they want the parents to teach, and the teachers are just glorified babysitters.

I feel that communication between the administration to the teacher is very, very poor. My children recently started to take the school bus home instead of the daycare bus. When I went up to make the changes, I asked about what to do if my children need to take the daycare bus home instead, and was informed to call the day to let them know. Despite already making the changes to their bus schedule, I call EVERY DAY to remind them to send my children on the school bus. Today I called like usual and was told that they would "let them know". Well they didn't and when the school bus came my children were not on it. I called the school to transfer my calk to transportation to ask if the bus was running late and to make sure that my children were on it. The woman I spoke with was short with me and made exasperated sighs when I asked for her help. She informed me AT FIRST that the bus had not made the stop at our apadtments, so I asked if they were for sure on the bus, she said she would check, then when she was back on the phone, told me that the bus ALREADY went to our apartments and dropped the kids off. I told her that my children weren't dropped off and asked where they were, which she rudely responded, well, you'll have to call the school, then kept talking about how she has so much to do. I called the school back and spoke with the same person that transferred me to transportation and asked where my children were, after giving my childrens names she said also very rudely, "we don't have a transportation change, so we put them on the daycare bus." I let her know that there was a change I had made and I also called the school earlier just to try and prevent this sort of thing from happening. I then got rude and said something along the lines of "now I have to pay for a day of daycare the kids didn't need, thanks a lot." I also tried to reach out to them about viewing my daughter's report card, because for some reason they don't give out copies to sign anymore! The priorities are so messed up with this school a huge reevaluation is due for all members of the administration including the principal and vice principal.

i really think that t his school could use some improvement. The teacher he has this year compared to last year is awful. She has not called and let me know how my son is doing. I ask her when the we as parents are aloud to go up to the school how my son is doing and all she can say is ok and I ask her is there anything he can do to catch up since he has been out alot to do being sick all the time and she says he he is doing fine. I can't wait to get him out of this school. I do not like Dr. Mcdaniels, I don't think she likes the kids at all or at least the ones whose parents aren't donating money into the so called pta.

I went to this school from the years 2008 to 2013 and my sister went there from 2009 to 2013. It is one of the worst schools in Oklahoma. The Principal Dr. McDaniel and Asst Principal Mr. Pratt DO NOT care about the students at all! My little sister was getting bullied daily, a group of boys kicked her everyday and they kicked her so hard there were bruises on her legs. My mother and father went to the school many times to complain about this and to try to get someone to stop them but Dr. McDaniel and Mr. Pratt did not care. They said that she caused the bruises herself and that she should stop trying to be the center of attention. My sister went to the nurse's office one day because she didn't feel good and as soon as my mother walked into the office to check her out Mr. Pratt walked up to my sister and said "Stop being a cry baby". Don't even get me started on the past principal, Mrs. Simpson-Miller. She was an evil woman. Overall Sunset Elementary School is not a good school and I do not recommend that you send your children here.

My son began attending Sunset for Kindergarten this past fall and has done wonderfully. He loves his teacher and his classmates and loves going to school in general. The principal and vice-principal are very involved and all the kids loves them. I was a little wary due to the previous bad reviews but they are from years ago and the school seems to be getting better and better. We are very happy there!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

His teacher this year is the Teacher of the Year. She is amazing with the kids and has great help in her assistants. She communicates well with the parents and from the times I have been present in the classroom during the lessons she truly deserves the title of Teacher of the Year.

Amount of homework: Agree

Weekly homework and a monthly special assignment seem to be the perfect amount for pre-k. Its a simple 1 page homework that my son can now complete without any explanation. He knows on Monday when we get home the first thing he does is his homework and he now starts without any prompting. On the monthly special assignments he is getting more creative each time.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school is very consistent in their teaching. All students are treated fairly and encouraged to know and follow the school and class missions.

My son is a pre-k student at Sunset for the 2015-2016 school year. He loves his teacher and looks forward to going to school every day. He knows what is expected of him and does his weekly homework without complaint and even looks forward to the special projects that comes home. He is excited to do the nightly reading and sometimes even adds an extra book. The faculty and staff at the school are great and I know my son is in good hands every day. I am a very involved parent and wish more parents would get involved with their students but overall our first year at Sunset has been amazing.

I am a parent who submitted a previous review (Posted November 8, 2012). I felt an extreme need to update my review of Sunset based on the 2013-2014 school year and the changes that have been made. Sehawks are making progress!! There is an AMAZING new Principal Dr. McDaniel and Asst Principal Mr. Pratt. Since this school year started my child has had so many positive experiences and loves the encouragement from teachers and Principals. I have met and see the Principals on a regular basis and I really appreciate that. Family Night was a huge success and we had a great time. Parent involvement still needs improvement however, this is not the school's fault. Bullying is not tolerated and is handled properly this year.

Last modified Sunset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.