Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

i really think that t his school could use some improvement. The teacher he has this year compared to last year is awful. She has not called and let me know how my son is doing. I ask her when the we as parents are aloud to go up to the school how my son is doing and all she can say is ok and I ask her is there anything he can do to catch up since he has been out alot to do being sick all the time and she says he he is doing fine. I can't wait to get him out of this school. I do not like Dr. Mcdaniels, I don't think she likes the kids at all or at least the ones whose parents aren't donating money into the so called pta.

I went to this school from the years 2008 to 2013 and my sister went there from 2009 to 2013. It is one of the worst schools in Oklahoma. The Principal Dr. McDaniel and Asst Principal Mr. Pratt DO NOT care about the students at all! My little sister was getting bullied daily, a group of boys kicked her everyday and they kicked her so hard there were bruises on her legs. My mother and father went to the school many times to complain about this and to try to get someone to stop them but Dr. McDaniel and Mr. Pratt did not care. They said that she caused the bruises herself and that she should stop trying to be the center of attention. My sister went to the nurse's office one day because she didn't feel good and as soon as my mother walked into the office to check her out Mr. Pratt walked up to my sister and said "Stop being a cry baby". Don't even get me started on the past principal, Mrs. Simpson-Miller. She was an evil woman. Overall Sunset Elementary School is not a good school and I do not recommend that you send your children here.

My son began attending Sunset for Kindergarten this past fall and has done wonderfully. He loves his teacher and his classmates and loves going to school in general. The principal and vice-principal are very involved and all the kids loves them. I was a little wary due to the previous bad reviews but they are from years ago and the school seems to be getting better and better. We are very happy there!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

His teacher this year is the Teacher of the Year. She is amazing with the kids and has great help in her assistants. She communicates well with the parents and from the times I have been present in the classroom during the lessons she truly deserves the title of Teacher of the Year.

Amount of homework: Agree

Weekly homework and a monthly special assignment seem to be the perfect amount for pre-k. Its a simple 1 page homework that my son can now complete without any explanation. He knows on Monday when we get home the first thing he does is his homework and he now starts without any prompting. On the monthly special assignments he is getting more creative each time.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school is very consistent in their teaching. All students are treated fairly and encouraged to know and follow the school and class missions.

My son is a pre-k student at Sunset for the 2015-2016 school year. He loves his teacher and looks forward to going to school every day. He knows what is expected of him and does his weekly homework without complaint and even looks forward to the special projects that comes home. He is excited to do the nightly reading and sometimes even adds an extra book. The faculty and staff at the school are great and I know my son is in good hands every day. I am a very involved parent and wish more parents would get involved with their students but overall our first year at Sunset has been amazing.

I am a parent who submitted a previous review (Posted November 8, 2012). I felt an extreme need to update my review of Sunset based on the 2013-2014 school year and the changes that have been made. Sehawks are making progress!! There is an AMAZING new Principal Dr. McDaniel and Asst Principal Mr. Pratt. Since this school year started my child has had so many positive experiences and loves the encouragement from teachers and Principals. I have met and see the Principals on a regular basis and I really appreciate that. Family Night was a huge success and we had a great time. Parent involvement still needs improvement however, this is not the school's fault. Bullying is not tolerated and is handled properly this year.

My son went to this school and it is TERRIBLE. They let him get away with not doing his work (did not mention this at ANY parent teacher conferences, even when asked how he was doing) for the ENTIRE YEAR. They love kids, but do NOT hold the students accountable. They cant always argue that it is a parent thing, because I was 100% involved the entire year. They are frustrated and LOST and do not know how to manage a classroom. I have never seen the principal (not a single time, even at events), and when I mentioned it to the office ladies (who wasn't the nicest person in the world) they just laughed and shrugged. They wasted an entire year of my son's life. Ridiculous. Bullying also a huge deal. My child was bullied many times. Teachers seem to try to handle it, but it happened way too often. Some children this year threatened his life at one point and he was very shaken. This is not a good school if you care about your child's future at all. WORST school in Edmond.

Faculty at Sunset care deeply for their students, and work hard to advance learning. Many opportunities for growth are available, including after-school tutoring, Success Maker, and differentiated instruction. The school, however, has extremely low parental support and involvement. PTO meetings are sparse. While many parents are supportive, some often only initiate communication to complain, and when they do so are sometimes disrespectful and ignorant of school and classroom policies despite numerous opportunities to be informed. Sunset is not the "typical Edmond" school; it is fighting an uphill battle against low parent involvement, apathetic students and parents, and increasingly jaded and frustrated teachers. I love this school and want to see it improve, but we need a great deal more help and support from parents, students, and faculty alike.

Last modified Sunset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.